| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

http://www.lanebryant.com/plus-size-dre ... 320%406000

I bought this dress from Lane Bryant for my bridal shower tomorrow. It was my first time shopping there and though a lot of what they carried wasn't my style there were definitely some very cute options! I fluctuate between a size 12 and 14 so I can still shop at standard sized stores, but I'm in awe of how flattering this dress was and how nicely it fit. What it difference it makes wearing clothes that were made with my curvy frame in mind!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:03 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

A very general question for any of you who are short and also have big busts... what STYLES of dresses do you think flatter you the best? I prefer to shop online due to time constraints and the general stressfulness of fighting off crowds in stores, but I'm sort of an idiot when it comes to picking things that actually complement curves and aren't just clingy in the wrong places, lol. I'm about 5'5", wear a size US 14, and have a 34F chest (sigh). Anyone else about my shape who has some tips? What sorts of things do you think look awesome? What do you avoid at all costs?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Im not the same sizing as you. But I have a friend with a very large bust. She tends to do one shoulder dresses a lot. A halter could work if it covers enough. If the dress has an empire waist you would want a cross over top like the dress above! Which is super cute by the way. Those would be my suggestions. I would stay away from strapless and vnecks that plunge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:22 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Hey Limone, we're sort of similar (I'm 5'8", sz 16, 34F). I find things that have a high waist like an empire waist are terrible for large busts, the bust hem tends to get lost underneath my boobs and it makes my boobs look HUGE in a not flattering way. I like wrap dresses and other dresses that are similarly fitted all the way to the hip, I find that minimizes my boobs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yep, avoid Empire Line for big boobs, unless you want to look like the figurehead of a pirate's galleon! Clothes with a clear waist or waist detail like a belt, coupled with either a soft wrap top (although big bangers tend to make wrap tops gape for underwear-on-view embarrassment), or a deep/wide scoop or v-neck but not so deep it shows cleavage. Halter necks and boat necks are a disaster for big boobs - it makes them look like they're somewhere round your midriff. Keep prints below the waist. Seriously though, the very best dressing tip for big boobs is to invest in seriously well fitted and structured bras.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:20 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for the tips guys. I do like the crossover empire-ish dress in the Lane Bryant picture above... I would probably get that dress if it was available online in a 14, haha! But in thinking about it, I agree that most empire waist dresses have not been flattering on me.

I have NEVER been able to pull off a halter-type top. The smallest my bust has ever been in my life was a D cup, and in addition to the halter style drawing attention to your bust, it is a giant pain in the asparagus to buy a good strapless bra for larger cup sizes (but that's the subject of another thread).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:12 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Let's talk underpants, folks. I've recently gained weight and none of my underpants fit. It is driving me absolutely up the wall. I'm pretty simple when it comes to it: cotton, full-coverage hipster or bikini, black is fine. I'm a 12/14.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I strictly buy undies from Lane Bryant. The seemless microfiber full brief kind. But they have cotton too. Thry normally have sales like buy two get one free. I try to only buy them on sale since they dont come in packs .
http://www.lanebryant.com/cacique-plus- ... /index.cat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:06 pm 

I buy my undies at Additionelle, dubs! They have cute pantaloons, unlike the rest of their store which is all muumuus for people who hate their bodies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:34 pm 

paprikapapaya wrote:
I buy my undies at Additionelle, dubs! They have cute pantaloons, unlike the rest of their store which is all muumuus for people who hate their bodies.

Awesome! I will check it out. Thank you! I'm in a weird place where I'm mostly straight-sized* but this recent weight gain has gone straight to my tummy/hips/bum so straight-sized bottoms simply cannot contain my awesomeness while all my dresses still fit. Sizing is weird, yo.

Also, I don't know if I posted about this but I recently went to Change and actually got a proper-fitting bra for perhaps the first time in my life. I love them! They go up to Js or Ks, they fit you, and their stuff is really pretty. I believe they have locations all over, including Canada and US.

*What a stupid term.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:40 pm 

Sizing is weird! I can fit into some straight-sized* stuff, but then other stuff not. Depending on what it is, and how my body is shaped, and all that stuff.

I've never heard of Change, but I am a believer in proper fitting bras! I can't believe what a difference in my silhouette when I'm wearing the right size for me. Boy oh boy, nice bras aren't cheap, but stores like La Senza don't fit my gazungas.

*Agreed, what an idiotic term

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 pm 
WRETCHED

Before Victoria's Secret changed their sizing/style, they had great plus size friendly undies. For recent items, I've ordered from Bare Necessities.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:34 pm 
WRETCHED

So I wore the sleeveless dress from LucieLu this past weekend and it was kind of amusing. I've never been self conscious about my arms, no matter how big they were. Other people (like my mother) would think that I should cover my arms because they are big. Not like covering them up is going to change their size. Anyway, I was like screw that, I'm going sleeveless.

And since then, I've worn a skirt twice. I think I like getting into skirts, I had a brief flirt with skirts before I got married but gave up on them. Since maxi skirts/dresses are in, I think I can do it. My booty tends to be a bit too out there for shorter dresses (makes the dress rise up/need to wear something underneath). The only challenging part seems to be finding wide shoes that can go with skirts. I'm working on that though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

With undies, I prefer a black cotton boy short. But since gaining weight this past year, I find they ride to low and my belly flops over and the waistband rolls down. Superstore (Loblaws) has a nice higher rise, but not too granny black cotton boy short that fits me well (I'm a size 14-16 atm)- not too expensive and they've all held up to several washings. The style changes up a bit each time I restock my supply, but they usually have a lace waistband or lace around the leg openings, but very comfortable.

eta oh, nothing really

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm 
WRETCHED

one question that I have is why do some sites only have spanx as an option for undies with control? In my experience, they aren't that good. I found a brand at Macy's that is decent but I'd like to see some firmer undies that aren't spanx as a whole. For wearing under skirts/dresses, I like to wear something that covers my upper thighs so they don't rub.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
one question that I have is why do some sites only have spanx as an option for undies with control? In my experience, they aren't that good. I found a brand at Macy's that is decent but I'd like to see some firmer undies that aren't spanx as a whole. For wearing under skirts/dresses, I like to wear something that covers my upper thighs so they don't rub.

I use cut off old tights.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:33 am 
WRETCHED

That'd work if I ever wore tights, ha!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Cut off tights are going to be much cooler than control underwear with legs, even if they have a control top. Maybe you should get some just for that purpose. It's got to be a lot cheaper too! I like oversized tights that I can pull right up to my bra line to eliminate segmenting myself at the waistline.

I tend to wear tights or capri leggings under skirts anyway even in the summer but I was lucky enough to get a nice culotte (shorts) slip from Macy's one time and more recently got another from a strange timewarp underwear shop near Moo Shoes, but they weren't as nice as the Macy's ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Half-Slips-Vint ... 0390039226

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Just go buy whatever tights are in the clearance bin at Marshalls or a similar place--they will be super cheap right now. Then cut them off so they are long enough to help with chafing but not short enough to roll up (usually 2-3" above knee works for me).

Narrow rings cut from the legs also make great hair ties!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Speaking of control top bottoms, is there such a thing as bike shorts with a control top that actually look like normal bike shorts? I've seen tons of satiny undergarments with a control top that are about the length of a bike short, but that's not really what I mean. I like wearing bike shorts under dresses in the summer to reduce the dreaded thigh rub/sweat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:06 am 

jean wrote:
With undies, I prefer a black cotton boy short. But since gaining weight this past year, I find they ride to low and my belly flops over and the waistband rolls down. Superstore (Loblaws) has a nice higher rise, but not too granny black cotton boy short that fits me well (I'm a size 14-16 atm)- not too expensive and they've all held up to several washings. The style changes up a bit each time I restock my supply, but they usually have a lace waistband or lace around the leg openings, but very comfortable.

eta oh, nothing really

I got some tonight while grocery shopping and they look great! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Limone I have some yoga capri length leggings which have a control top so maybe you can find something similar in a shorter length.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:10 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I can't imagine wearing bike shorts + skirt or dress when its hot out. The tight solution doesn't add hot layers, and its comfy and not restricting, even when its 90 degrees out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Agreed. Unless its a very short dress and there are modesty reasons!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 am 
WRETCHED

You could look at compression shorts. The are like bike shorts but with firm control.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next