| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:00 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't totally understand the questions maybe, but actual bike shorts (the ones you ride bikes in) have a good deal of compression.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

rentaghost wrote:
Limone I have some yoga capri length leggings which have a control top so maybe you can find something similar in a shorter length.

OK, what brand are they/where did you get them?

I generally do wear short dresses, so modesty is a concern. Also the cut-off tights thing has never really worked for me because they always roll up all the bottom no matter what length I cut them to, which both looks and feels weird. Also also, I once got HEAT RASH on my thighs from wearing pantyhose on a particularly humid summer day, which was disgusting and uncomfortable and has never happened to me wearing bike shorts.

I suppose compression shorts are a thing, though I feel like they usually have a brand logo stuck conspicuously on them somewhere? Unlike the ultra-generic stretchy black bike shorts I have, which work for the modesty/thigh rub prevention but I wish they were tighter around the middle (I already went down a size, so going down another would probably cause them to split when I bent over).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:35 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm not sure where you are but I got them in the UK. They do seem to sell shorts but they aren't all control top. http://www.thegirlsapparel.com/asccusto ... avParent=6

They don't have any logos on them, I know what you mean about that because I have to wear sunproof capri leggings under my skirts due to an auto-immune skin condition triggered by sunlight and often they have an annoyingly obvious logo at the bottom of the leg. (I bought these control top capris by accident - I usually let it all hang out when exercising - but they have came in handy at my circuits class where I was conscious of my stomach jiggling in front of people on certain jumping type exercises.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I wear bike shorts (well, they're a cotton/lycra mix) and they are plenty comfy. Not hot at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have something similar to these for wearing under dresses if I don't wear leggings. But I normally just wear leggings under dresses and skirts.

http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Easy-Up- ... d=1&ppos=3

The spanx I have go from under boob to knee. And they are super restrictive and slimming. I bought them for two weddings I was in to go under my bridesmaid dresses. They would be way too tight for a normal day or relaxed dress. I have found that there are different lines of spanx. Some are better quality and some don't hold you in that much at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Have y'all seen this site? It looks awesome.
http://www.igigi.com/plus-size-new-arri ... 4AodtlcASQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

So many pretty dresses Ariann!

I just ordered some stuff from ASOS, I had no idea they had such a large selection of plus clothes. (Am I the last one to know this? I feel like I probably am.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm actually more excited to discover they do maternity - will file that one for the future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Just noticed that Wet Seal is having a sale today (Saturday) on a LOT of leggings=$10 each. Free shipping too.

http://www.wetseal.com/catalog/category ... rentPage=1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Can anyone make any suggestions for a winter coat style for me? I'm quite short and busty and very belly centred, I don't have much in the way of hips. We don't have very cold winters here and last year I got by with layering under a very frumpy looking zip front polar fleece cardigan - which made me look like a fuzzy thick rectangular potato on stumpy legs. I walk everywhere so heels are not a go, but I'd like a more feminine and stylish looking coat/jacket for fall winter. Something that gives me the illusion of a waist at least. Would something like a belted short trench work, or would that just make me look shorter and thicker - I'm clueless on this one. I can't afford two coats, so something that would look nice equally over a pair of dress slacks or with jeans on the weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

What about a pea-coat that nips in at the waist?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:28 pm 

Yes, I like a pea coat. And I have two, one in canvas and one in fake wool from my thinner days, I like that style a lot. I wonder if I'd have trouble finding one that would do up around my chest but not be super too long in the sleeves. *sigh, I guess that I'm just that shape now that paying to have a coat altered is going to be unavoidable. Thanks j-dub.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I third the pea coat idea so long as it has a slight A-line and/or nipped waist to give you the feminine silhouette. I would shy away from huge swooshy skirts on coats because they tend to look bulkier on short busty gals.

Your idea of the trench is also a great one but I'd go with a darker color like black, grey or navy rather than tan that way you can wear it for dressier occasions in the evening. Some pricier trenches come with removable linings for added warmth in the winter so they work year round. But I've seen tutorials online for adding your own button-in layer for winter.

Just be sure to try it on with and without winter sweaters so you can get enough ease for layering when needed and not too much bulk when not needed. Above the knee for shorter gals is a rule I've heard and I had one of my old lower-calf mens style coats altered to exactly at the top of my knee and it does help make me look not so short. I'm 5'5", size 18/20 and 36G so I feel your pain. It's hard being short and busty. I also have short arms so I'm always having sleeve length altered. Not really any way around that if you have short arms. I've found that length is easier/cheaper to alter than stuff like shoulder width.

If you need something more in a classic style, Dress Barn has some plus-sized trenches right now that are $69 to $74. Also, a removable belt allows you to dress it up with a dressier wide pleather belt later if needed. Accessories can dress up, down or funkify depending on the need if you buy a classic cut.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

One other thought, if you can find a petite plus coat, the sleeves should be shorter and may not need alterations.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:47 pm 

thank you very much snarkyvegan, really great advice, very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:28 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Jean, I'm also short, zaftig, and quite busty. All the coats I currently own, except for one hiking jacket, I got from Pepperberry. They design clothes especially meant to be flattering and fit over big boobs. Unfortunately a lot of their winter coats have wool in them (I got them pregan and haven't replaced them yet), but you might find this page of coats gives you some ideas about styles that might work for you.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:02 pm 

"Clothing designed with your boobs in mind" Oh man, that is fantastic!

Thanks lepelaar :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Just found a brand new rain/trench coat at Goodwill and the shoulders are the right size, it fits my butt, and it's long enough to cut off a foot and still have it reach below my knees! The lining is open at the bottom so it should be easy to adjust the length and take in an inch or two under the arms. Then it will fit perfectly. And it came with a removable warm layer, just missing the removable hood which I wouldn't use anyway.

Moral of the story: don't forget to check Goodwill before spending the big bucks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:41 pm 

Good reminder. I was just at my local women's shelter thrift shop the other day, no coats, but I'll keep looking.

And it sound like a good find snarkyvegan. I love thrift-shopping.

Do we have a thrift shops finds thread?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I want a faux-leather biker jacket. Does anyone have one? Where did you get it? What do you like/dislike about it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I want cute vegan cowboy boots that will fit my thick calves but I am beginning to believe this is a pipe dream.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Nicole, I've been eyeing this jacket...
http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/roz--faux-leather-moto-jacket/101510324/150

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Nicole wrote:
I want a faux-leather biker jacket. Does anyone have one? Where did you get it? What do you like/dislike about it?

I've been looking for one too but I'm really hard to fit because of the slim shoulders/wide payload shape. Sort of like an inverted Superman, with boobs. So I'm thinking I'll have to make one, some day, if I can figure out how to sew a zipper ;-}

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh you guys! I forgot to share this with you! I just found out there is a size called Junior Plus which is different than regular Plus. This could explain a lot actually, like why the measurements on one site say I'm a 3x and another says 1X. You gotta read this blog post on the difference:

http://thecurvyfashionista.com/2013/08/ ... plus-size/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, Junior Plus is something I can't wear because of my hips. Plus the styles tend to be well not my style :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next