| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Interesting. I don't shop in those stores, so I don't think I have run across this before. I used to wear a size called "preteen," which apparently existed in very limited distribution, but it was totally perfect for me when I was really like a size 12 in misses as a young teenager, but was shaped a little differently. It's nice to have a variety of cuts available, but I wonder why they couldn't just call it by the cut and have one part of the sizing be consistent. Like, all 12s have the same waist size, but some are "young teen" or "older teen" or "woman" or whatever and have different waist to hip to chest ratios. I am very jealous of men getting to go shop by chest size, waist size, neck size, arm length, leg length. Sheesh! And then still having the expectation that the store will do a little hemming or basic tailoring for free to make it perfect. It seems like if I am going to spend $100 on a garment I should be able to expect the same thing as when my husband buys a pair of pants or a jacket.

Obviously I am not a fan of disposable clothing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 am 
WRETCHED

Well some stores like Nordstrom, Sears and Macys sell Junior Plus styles. Sometimes you'll find entire Junior Plus stores. I've seen the size around for around 20 years myself. I order a lot of clothes online so I probably notice it more as the websites say Junior Plus sizing usually.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:43 am 
***LIES!!!***

Of those I only shop at Macy's and never in any section anyone would think was junior :p. the section i shop in should properly be called Matron.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

OMG! I got my Wet Seal delivery of 3X leggings today and my Gaia, they are sized for a Barbi doll! I normally wear 1x but 3x in Junior Plus sure is teeeeeny. Maybe they'll stretch? I'm such an old lady. I'll never understand stretchy skin-tight things.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anybody know where I can find a plus-sized red skinny belt that isn't leather or canvas? The ones at Target are leather. I'd like to find a fancier one in pleather or vinyl or something. Then add on the plus size and it seems impossible. Suggestions anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:18 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Redressnyc.com, ASOS, lucielu.com, off the top of my head! All those places have had cute belts before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

paprikapapaya wrote:
Redressnyc.com, ASOS, lucielu.com, off the top of my head! All those places have had cute belts before.

Thanks! I haven't heard of Redress or Lucielu.com!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

okay I have a really specific question: does anyone have suggestions for where I could buy some heavy cotton button-down shirts that will close over my boobs (I have a huge ribcage+sizeable boobs) that is also long enough to cover my whole torso? I keep ending up with button-downs that look like half shirts that are too big in the waist and barely close in the chest without a huge gap!!

I've found length in men's shirts but I want to button past my boobs!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 am 
WRETCHED

I really liked Eddie Bauer shirts, I'd look at their website for their button downs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 am 
Tofu Pup

Nice to read it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

booberthefraggle wrote:
okay I have a really specific question: does anyone have suggestions for where I could buy some heavy cotton button-down shirts that will close over my boobs (I have a huge ribcage+sizeable boobs) that is also long enough to cover my whole torso? I keep ending up with button-downs that look like half shirts that are too big in the waist and barely close in the chest without a huge gap!!

I've found length in men's shirts but I want to button past my boobs!

I know this is really old, but JCrew does make tall women's clothing, and I noticed they have a sale today where you can get a striped button-down shirt in tall sizes for $39 after applying their daily promotion code.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've never stepped foot in Lard and Taylor before yesterday but on a whim, I went to check out their plus size dept. Tons of sale racks! Everything was marked down 50% further than the lowest price which took some items down to the teens. Not sure how long that sales is going to last but the store in Oakbrook Center in Illinois has a lot more clearance items than their website.

Just sayin. If you're looking for deals.

I found a non-wool jacket that wasn't too wide in the shoulders AND I was able to button about the bum. First time ever, anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 pm 
And you never will.

I bought some new clothes for myself for my birthday that fit my body, including two bras that aren't shapeless nursing tanks, and I am absolutely amazed at how much better I feel about myself when I wear them. Not just like "new things are nice" good, but I think my body looks better. I even have better posture when I wear them. This shouldn't have been a revelation, but it was.

I have spent my entire life telling myself that I will buy myself a nice wardrobe when I lose some arbitrary amount of weight, or reach some pointless size, but I've decided to fork that noise. I deserve to have a coordinated wardrobe that looks good and makes me feel good about the body I have right now, not a bunch of ill-fitting pieces that I bought on clearance and make me look frumpy when - SURPRISE! - that's not an accurate representation of my body after all.

So here I am! I basically have one pair of jeans and a couple of shirts and a jacket, and that's it. Everything else needs to go, and I need to build an entire wardrobe from scratch (including undergarments and shoes). Does anyone have advice? Great sources for clothes that are made for plus sizes, but aren't too pricey? For the first time ever I'm considering new clothes an investment, but I have a pretty limited budget so the more I can get for my money, the better.

I'm planning to read through this thread for ideas, but it will take a while and I thought I would ask here in the meantime. You're all so fashionable, help me be fashionable too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:37 pm 
WRETCHED

What type of clothes are you looking for? I'm not a very fashionable person so my places of choice are pretty simple. I like Eddie Bauer because their clothes are pretty good quality and pretty simple. Like mentioned above, Lard and Taylor often has quite a few sales racks with clothes up to 75% off.

I've bought some stuff from Zappos because you can return them pretty easily and I also skim the sales at Nordstrom.com, who also has a good return policy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 pm 
And you never will.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm mostly just looking for casual stuff - I spend most of my life chasing around a preschooler and my cousin's baby, and baking, so no need for business attire or dress clothes. So jeans and casual trousers, comfortable tops and sweaters/cardigans/jackets, skirts, casual dresses, etc.

I've never even heard of Lard and Taylor (but apparently there are none within 100 miles of here), and I haven't had good luck with other local places, so it will probably have to be online, unfortunately. I'm glad you mentioned sites that have a good return policy, because I'm terrible at judging fit without trying things on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 pm 
WRETCHED

Is Dillard's something you have there? We don't have them here but I found some good things there on a trip to Texas.

If you happen to have an Eddie Bauer store near you, you might want to check it out. I've only been to a couple of their stores so I don't know if they vary in availability of plus sizes but they are casual clothes and they tend to have good sales.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:52 pm 
And you never will.

Excellent, thank you. We do have a Dillard's really near to where I live, and the internet tells me there is an Eddie Bauer in the "old money" part of town, so I'll check them out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh and I wish I had an answer for good underwear. My favorite were the old Victoria Secret styles but since they changed them, they aren't the same. I found some that I like but they are pricey (Cosabella) and I only bought them because they were on clearance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I think black jeans or dark indigo blue ones look great and are flattering. Straight skirts or ones that kick out are knee height are more flattering than those which flare from the waist.

I have a roll of flab between my waist and bra and find wearing tights which are a size bigger, so can pull right up to under my bra, really helps. Tights and knickers which end at your waist can really accentuate the 'segments', especially in dresses.

I would also say if you think your size may change again consider keeping a few of the clothes which are tight now tucked away. I find myself bouncing between sizes from time to time and was so glad I kept my favourite ill fitting clothes shrink wrapped, it saved me having to buy too much new stuff. (Only keep things you love though!)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i'm so mad that I am not a super rich person because I want all the modcloth dresses!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/plus-sizes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:54 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Uuugh me too boober. They did a free shipping to the UK thing just after Christmas but the $150 minimum + the crazy customs charges I always get hit with meant I had to skip it. So sad! One day I will have more awesome ModCloth dresses!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

They look amazing and so much choice! Do they only sell online? Or is there somewhere I can see and try them on in the US when I visit?
Not knowing whether they will fit right (chest to waist ratio - normal dresses are usually far to tight for my breasts) and yes, the customs charges totally put me off (Royal Mail slap an £8 charge on top of whatever Customs charge, even if it's just £2 it means you have to pay £10).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:50 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

They only sell online, I've started getting their stuff delivered to hotels when I'm in the US so of you're heading over there you could do that. Their returns policy's great but I've never had to return anything (despite also having boob issues with most clothes - E cup represent!) because the sizing info on the site is awesome. They have the measurements of the people they fit the clothes to on the size & fit page and then in the info for each item they tell you whether it runs true to size / small / large.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks jojo, I'll check out the sizing info. Are Modcloth quick to ship within the US? We normally stay in apartments so anything we ordered would be inaccessible (kept in a mailbox for the owner of the apartment) but I did order some boots last time I was there and in a hotel. (It was only because we were there for two weeks that I felt confident there was enough time for them to arrive before we left.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next