| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

the way I solve that problem is skirts! practical! can be dressed up or down depending on the top! has to be washed way less frequently:

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 am 
WRETCHED

I figured I'd share with you guys my latest hunt. My husband and I have decided to try to pack light for our upcoming trip. Like 2 carry-on backpack and that is it. It is a scary prospect for me. Especially as a woman who wears larger sizes, going to a country where large sizes aren't that common. So anyway, we are focusing on buying clothes that can be easily washed/dried and take a few things that can be mixed and matched. I also want things that are wrinkle resistant

I've found some various sites:
Rei.com - very limited selection here but had some good pants/capris. Rei has an awesome return policy so I love shopping there normally. They also had a recent coupon. Should also mention that my REI store does generally carry some plus size clothes and I always peruse the discount rack when I'm there.

Columbia.com - Many of the things you find on Rei.com in plus size are Columbia brand. I found some pants cheaper on Columbia.com but if you aren't sure of size/fit, probably better to order from Rei.

EddieBauer.com - I like Eddie Bauer for simple clothes plus they have sales throughout the year. They have a line of specific clothes for traveling called Travex.

TravelSmith.com - Lots of clothes for traveling and a small plus size section. I am not too fond of the selection but they did have a couple cute dresses.

Kiyonna.com - I wanted a nice top or two to take with me and Kiyonna (mentioned previously in this thread) definitely has some easy care stuff.

Nordstrom.com - Now this is kind of a back up plan but there were a few things I saw that I thought would be good for traveling.

Honorable mentions:
Torrid.com - Seemed to have a few things that would work, mostly a few tops and I have some of their underwear that would be easy to wash and dry in a hotel.

Junonia.com - They specialize in active wear and a good place to check but I didn't find anything.

SierraTradingPost.com - They may have a few gems here, I saw a couple items

AlwaysForMe.com - I didn't find anything here but there were a couple things that I thought might be good options

JustMySize.com - A mix of athletic wear and every day wear. Not my favorite site but may have a few good options.

MakingItBig.com - I actually just received a catalog yesterday in the mail for this and flipped through it. They did have a few travel clothes but they were pricier than most I've seen. They specialize in plus size. I will say I'm not a general fan of the styling, flowy and what seemed to be mostly shapeless. Their smallest size was also 2X which I didn't look to check their size chart to see if I'd be out of their range. I did think there were a few things that could work for me if I really wanted.

So that is it. If you have any other ideas for places that would have wrinkle resistant clothes that could be dressed up or down, good for traveling, etc. Let me know. My hunt is over really but It was fun to look in places I hadn't before.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We wear ExOfficio underwear around here (like all the time, just because) - it's designed so that two pairs can get you through a very long trip, dries super fast (as long as the water quality isn't terrible, that seems to have an effect). 2 pairs have gotten me through some very long trips.

I have found some great travel clothes at REI/Columbia/EMS and our other big local camping store (Campmor - they have a website, but not much of the clothing shows up there). Horny Toad is a good brand I see at REI a lot, I wear a lot of their stuff, and you can find some of it on Zappos.

I really like Eddie Bauer, too.

I am a big fan of leggings + dress for travel. I am willing to wear leggings many, many times before washing, and they pack down into practically nothing. Modal and jersey are my favorite fabrics for dresses, they don't wrinkle and feel really nice to move in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

linanil wrote:
My husband and I have decided to try to pack light for our upcoming trip. Like 2 carry-on backpack and that is it.

Not a store site but http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com has posts on wardrobe capsules. She has some great small and large sets in her travel blog posts.

Have fun on your trip!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:16 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I just ordered this cozy jersey dress on Etsy. I think it's gonna be super comfy. She does custom sized pieces as well, so any body type can get a nice dress fitted for them. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/192377 ... _tnx_title

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ariann wrote:
We wear ExOfficio underwear around here (like all the time, just because) - it's designed so that two pairs can get you through a very long trip, dries super fast (as long as the water quality isn't terrible, that seems to have an effect). 2 pairs have gotten me through some very long trips.

How is the sizing? I'm reading lots of mixed reviews on their website. Some say the elastic is too tight for the amount of fabric/booty room. Plus they only seem to have up to 2xl in stock. One reviewer said the amount of leg and waist elastic didn't change when going up a size but the amount of booty fabric did. What's your experience? 8 days of cotton undies takes a whole carry on by themselves ;-}

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:17 am 
WRETCHED

I bought some of the ex-officio underwear. I wear a size 22 pant right now and I am wearing the 2XL. On the brief, they go up to 3XL.

Also, I found another site for plus size travel wear but some of it is way pricey. They had some cute cotton/hemp hats that I was considering but I have a good travel hate so I passed plus the shipping is not free.

www.tilley.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

paprikapapaya wrote:
I just ordered this cozy jersey dress on Etsy. I think it's gonna be super comfy. She does custom sized pieces as well, so any body type can get a nice dress fitted for them. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/192377 ... _tnx_title

so cute!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

linanil wrote:
I bought some of the ex-officio underwear. I wear a size 22 pant right now and I am wearing the 2XL. On the brief, they go up to 3XL.

Thanks! That helps greatly!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

snarkyvegan wrote:
Ariann wrote:

How is the sizing? I'm reading lots of mixed reviews on their website. Some say the elastic is too tight for the amount of fabric/booty room. Plus they only seem to have up to 2xl in stock. One reviewer said the amount of leg and waist elastic didn't change when going up a size but the amount of booty fabric did. What's your experience? 8 days of cotton undies takes a whole carry on by themselves ;-}

I wore an L until I got pregnant, then moved up to an XL during the pregnancy and haven't moved back down. Both sizes fit me over a huge weight range (like 30-40 pounds). I did not notice an elastic issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I swear, every time I put on my Doreen 36G, I'm amazed at the wireless engineering. Those Brits sure know how to make an awesome Madmen-style bra!

I also ordered a 36J because I redid my measurements per some website somewhere and it fits the same but with more cup coverage. Which I think is now my preference.

For plus-sze ladies tired of pokey wires, and if you love the pointy Madmen look, I highly recommend the Doreen. I get mine at http://www.figleaves.com since they aren't sold in stores near me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Question for busty gals: do you think we can wear neckties and look ok?

There are tons of photos of skinny women pulling it off and looking great. I'd like to wear some of the ties I've been collecting since college. I have lots of cool vintage ones but not sure how to do it.

Would I need a tie bar to keep one from bouncing or would that be too fussy?
And is there any way to wear one without a starched collared shirt? I generally don't wear those because they're so stiff and not flattering on a busty frame.

Thoughts? Advice?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

snarkyvegan wrote:
Question for busty gals: do you think we can wear neckties and look ok?

I think we can wear neckties and look foxy.

snarkyvegan wrote:
Would I need a tie bar to keep one from bouncing or would that be too fussy? And is there any way to wear one without a starched collared shirt? I generally don't wear those because they're so stiff and not flattering on a busty frame.

I never used a tie bar or clip, but I don't think they would be too fussy. A tie tack, the kind with a small chain especially, I think would be quite nice. I never wore a starched shirt; I did wear collared shirts with a fitted vest or fitted jacket that I tucked the tie into. That might sound fussier than a tie bar but it wasn't and it worked - and I liked the way it looked. If it's your thing, a collared shirt and a tie also looks cute with a corset and a pencil skirt, but that's a pretty specific look.

If I hadn't had the extra layover of clothing to secure the tie I would have used something like a bar or tack to secure it. I've seen things that look like sweater clips (attaching under the collar on either side with a chain across) that look super cute as well.

snarkyvegan wrote:
Thoughts? Advice?

Doo eet!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've seen women wear ties without a collared shirt, but it was a very casual look, I don't think that's the kind of thing that looks good at the office. How about one of those fake collared shirts that tucks into a v-neck or crew neck sweater? Like a Dickey shirt? That way you don't have to feel so constrained by the button up thing and you can show off at least the knot on the tie, if not a bit more. I am not busty, but I feel suffocated by button ups.

Found an example: http://www.amazon.com/Collared-Button-D ... B00ICL9K28
I think for dickeys you do have to find some way to attach them to the thing you're wearing on top if you want it to lay smoothly all day.

If you have button up shirts laying around that you hate wearing, you could also cut them up and just hem them to make dickeys.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks ladies! I guess I have to find the right shirt next. The 2 cotton collared shirts I have I never wear because they're so stiff. When I sit down, they poof up around my neck and chin. I bet I could wear the skinnier ties with lightweight chiffon type collared shirts instead.

And I totally forgot they still make dickies!

Thanks again!
XO

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

paprikapapaya wrote:

Hey PPP, I was wondering if you have received this dress yet and what you think of it. She has some really nice stuff and I was thinking about getting one of her dresses.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:17 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I did receive it, but I had to return it (which I have never done for an Etsy purchase before!). It was very well made and was constructed of high-quality jersey, but it fit me absolutely wretchedly. The criss-cross waist tie made me look like a Christmas ham and it didn't flatter my large chest either. I still think it's worth looking into, because different body types = different fits, but it wasn't the dress for me! Fortunately, she takes returns and was easy to communicate with.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sorry your dress didn't work out but I'm happy to hear about the high quality and construction. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been eyeing this dress from PrAna, but have held myself back from getting it (and several of their tops) because they have those annoying built-in shelf bras. For big busted ladies like me, that is just BAD NEWS. But, yesterday, I walked into a sporting goods store as I was looking for a new pair of Tevas. Right by the door was a display including this dress. So I went over to admire it, and decided, if they have an XL, I'll try it on. They did. AND IT FIT PERFECTLY. The shelf bra was big enough to cover my boobs! Completely! (For reference, my bra size is a 36J). Now, I'm obviously wearing another bra underneath, but I'm just so happy that it fits!

I bought it. And it was $15 off! Could it get any better?

Here's the website: http://www.prana.com/ Go buy a TON of their clothes, because I'm going to!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Has anyone had any luck finding summer tops or blouses online?

I'd really like something in cotton, with a bit of a sleeve, just a short sleeve or a cap sleeve is enough. There were a couple of tops on Mod Cloth I liked, but sold out. I tried to buy a really pretty blouse off eshatki, but that's a no go. After reading reviews of their service online - I'm going to give them a miss.

So my requirement are: something I can buy online, that ships Canada, cotton, with a sleeve of some sort and doesn't belly cling. Oh, and no peasant style tops, I have a couple of those and the gathering around the neckline is really unflattering on me.

Thanks guys, any suggestions appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:13 am 
Inflexitarian

I need a swim suit. I found two I LOVE but they only go up to XL and I doubt it will fit.
http://www.sammydress.com/product1051527.html
http://www.sammydress.com/product1210277.html

So I want something in that style, that doesn't cost over $50! Why does swimwear have to be so expensive?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Have you seen the bathing suits from Evans? They ship to gazillions of countries too, switch country in the upper left corner.

http://www.evansusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=34086&storeId=13072&productId=13614721&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&searchTerm=12A26QBLK&resultCount=1&geoip=home

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:36 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ooh I gotta put in a word for Esther Williams bathing suits! modcloth has some on sale for around $50 (though ugh stupid modcloth only carries the 2piece ones up to a certain size, while EW definitely makes them in larger sizes). Anyway, I got a beautiful one-piece from them that I love and I haven't even owned a bathing suit in YEARS, and then my crazylovable boyfriend/babydaddy requested I get a bikini too so I'll be ordering one directly from EW I think...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The Esther William's suits are adorable - I'd love to own one, but they don't have the boobage support that I need. I bought a suit a couple of years ago that locally retailed for $150, for a little over $60 on ebay - so that might be worth a look.

As for my search for summer cotton tops, I bought this: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/graphic-te ... nature-top and I love it. It was more casual than what I was looking for, but the blue is so pretty in person - seriously, much nicer than it appears in the photo. I've worn it twice this week already. It was my first mod cloth purchase, I've already ordered a few more things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24