| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surface cleaners
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:21 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Hi ppk... I need help with cleaning brands. At the moment I am still using mainstream brand. I have tried mixing Dr. Bronners to clean, and years ago there was a Trader Joe's brand cleaner I tried using for windows and countertops. I have not encountered much else, although I haven't been looking very hard... the thing is, a lot of the sprays I have seen are quite a gamble given my track record with streaky smelly cleaners. Any recommendations, online or easy to find? I don't have a TJs nearby anymore, so I'm kind of limited.

Post subject: Re: Surface cleaners
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:01 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I love plain old vinegar! Mix it 1:3 with water in a spray bottle and go to town. Yes, it smells until it dries, but after awhile you don't even notice the scent anymore. And it's naturally antibacterial.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:28 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I use vinegar for windows and Mrs. Meyers countertop spray for counters/tables. Both work great!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:27 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Vinegar is actually a great idea... I have flies that love going after my plants as well as anything else they can find. I just found a "parsley" cleaner today for pretty cheap at my local co-op grocery, so I guess I'll use that next and try the vinegar once I run out again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ScooterDiva wrote:
I love plain old vinegar! Mix it 1:3 with water in a spray bottle and go to town. Yes, it smells until it dries, but after awhile you don't even notice the scent anymore. And it's naturally antibacterial.

And hydrogen peroxide! Virginia Tech did studies: http://cleaningbusinesstoday.com/blog/h ... ecting-duo

I use it for Molly's things because it's so safe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:41 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Alyx wrote:
Vinegar is actually a great idea... I have flies that love going after my plants as well as anything else they can find. I just found a "parsley" cleaner today for pretty cheap at my local co-op grocery, so I guess I'll use that next and try the vinegar once I run out again.

I'm guessing you already know this, in which case disregard, but we used a fruit fly trap with a paper funnel and a jar with a bit of vinegar when we had a horrible fruit fly infestation this summer, and it worked quite well. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to- ... p-h-108577

As for cleaning solution - for counters/tables, we just use hot water and soap. If there's really a mess (especially with grease, or burnt crepe on a pan), I mix some baking soda and dishsoap to make a paste (no water) - it makes a great homemade softscrub that's way cheaper and less nasty than the stuff you can buy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I use Mrs. Meyer's spray, the lavender scent specifically. It works really well on counter tops and surfaces; I even use it on my mirror and it doesn't leave any streaks. I also use Mrs. Meyer's handsoap and laundry detergent in the same scent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You might have fungus gnats in your plants. They're a huge pain to eradicate. You can buy soil nematodes to eat the larva but I found the best think was to put a thick (~1 inch) layer of sand over the soil and in the drip tray. It prevents the flies from laying eggs in the soil.

Another vote here for Mrs Meyers for counters and surfaces and vinegar for everything else. I do use chlorine bleach solution in he bathroom and kitchen but it's probably overkill.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lavawitch wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:

And hydrogen peroxide! Virginia Tech did studies: http://cleaningbusinesstoday.com/blog/h ... ecting-duo

I use it for Molly's things because it's so safe.

this is my go-to.
i have scented the vinegar, from time to time, and right now i have a batch with citrus rinds soaking in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:16 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I set up the paper flytrap last night. It's more effective than the sticky paper I've had out for months now. Thanks Dandykins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:31 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Alyx wrote:
I set up the paper flytrap last night. It's more effective than the sticky paper I've had out for months now. Thanks Dandykins.

Oh, I'm glad it worked for you! Fruitflies are awful. FWIW, I guess a bit of cheap wine in the jar also works, if you're ever short on vinegar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:14 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

They really have been plaguing me for ages. I didn't like going after them at first and attempted to be cleaner to combat them... it does nothing! I can't eat, sleep, walk across the room, anything without a dozen flies in my face. And they seem content with plain water too... hang drying clothing in my apartment became something I dread. :/ Well the jar has taken care of half of them... I may set up a second somewhere in my kitchen to see if I can make enough of a dent in their population to wipe them out.