| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hiking Boots
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm having trouble finding a decent pair of vegan hiking boots. After looking at another thread, I ended up checking out Merrell, but it looks like all of their boots have leather or suede. Any suggestions for a pair or sturdy, waterproof boots that I can hike around the Rockies in?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: Re: Hiking Boots
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:12 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My boyfriend has some vegan Salomon ones he likes a lot, and when my pregan ones get too raggedy I'll probably replace them with Salomons.

Assuming based on your username that you're a lady, these look like they're vegan. I'm pretty sure these are the ones boyfriend has.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I found Merrell Outbound boots a few years ago at REI that are vegan. You might still be able to find them online if you search a bit! Men's sizes 8.5+ are still around on Amazon.

I had some great Salomans before that but unfortunately at that time I could only find vegan trail runners, not boots. But yeah I second that recommendation!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 am 
So Totally Yiffy

http://m.zappos.com/vegan-hiking-boots

Otherwise, I swear by wicked hemp boots. I love the trailmaster!
https://wickedhemp.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:09 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have a pair of vegan Garmont hiking boots for women. I love them. I don't know if they still make the style I own, but their boots are comfy. The pair I have is Gore-Tex, which really helps for wet terrain.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've done lots of long distance hiking. If you're not actually mountaineering, (in which case you would need crazy expensive mountaineering boots), I've found that hiking in running shoes (or trail running shoes) with a good grippy sole works great. If you have a stream crossing, they dry out quickly. They are lighter on your feet than boots, and taking weight of your feet enables faster, less encumbered hiking. The numbers I've always heard thrown around are 1 pound on you feet = the same as 5 pounds in your pack.

I will admit I fall into the Ray Jardine school of thinking on this, but they've worked for me on all kinds of terrain--high mountain passes, desert hiking, etc. I thru-hiked the PCT (2600 miles)! in an assortment of New Balance, Solomon's and Garmont running shoes with no problems to my feet but the occasional blister in the desert.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:26 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tenacious LD wrote:
I've done lots of long distance hiking. If you're not actually mountaineering, (in which case you would need crazy expensive mountaineering boots), I've found that hiking in running shoes (or trail running shoes) with a good grippy sole works great. If you have a stream crossing, they dry out quickly. They are lighter on your feet than boots, and taking weight of your feet enables faster, less encumbered hiking. The numbers I've always heard thrown around are 1 pound on you feet = the same as 5 pounds in your pack.

I will admit I fall into the Ray Jardine school of thinking on this, but they've worked for me on all kinds of terrain--high mountain passes, desert hiking, etc. I thru-hiked the PCT (2600 miles)! in an assortment of New Balance, Solomon's and Garmont running shoes with no problems to my feet but the occasional blister in the desert.

I love Ray Jardine! My partner and I used his patterns to sew our sleeping bag, backpacks, and tent a few years ago. And, I completely agree, trail running shoes are preferable to boots. I find that I have better balance and flexibility with shoes. I do use my boots for snowshoeing though since I tend to have very poor circulation in my toes. How awesome that you thru-hiked the PCT!!! That adventure is on my to-do list!!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yeah, I kinda like to make fun of Ray Jardine, but really, I love him. My husband sewed our sleeping bag for the PCT (word of advice...better to NOT share a sleeping bag for 5 months, even if it is your honeymoon)! I've used Jardine's advice over and over, and I gotta say, light weight backpacking is the way to go.

The PCT is a great adventure which I highly recommend...make the time and go for it! The CDT is on my list, sometime in the next 5 years or so. I've been in school, and so I'll need to work & pay back some loans before that can happen, but it IS going to happen. At the very least, an attempt of it is going to happen. That will make my husband a triple-crowner, but I'm saving the AT for my retirement years.

I've still never sewn my own backpack. Were you happy with yours? My last two have actually been Go-Lite (Ray Jardine inspired, pretty tough, and a good value). I will admit one thing; I'm not a fan of the tarp/ tarptent. I hate mosquito's too much.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I use my boots because I tend to roll my ankles and I like having boots, esp. when I'm hiking on steep/unstable ground or cross country or through mud or across scree slopes or whatever. I do wear trail runners if I'm on well-maintained trails.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:54 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tenacious LD wrote:
Yeah, I kinda like to make fun of Ray Jardine, but really, I love him. My husband sewed our sleeping bag for the PCT (word of advice...better to NOT share a sleeping bag for 5 months, even if it is your honeymoon)! I've used Jardine's advice over and over, and I gotta say, light weight backpacking is the way to go.

The PCT is a great adventure which I highly recommend...make the time and go for it! The CDT is on my list, sometime in the next 5 years or so. I've been in school, and so I'll need to work & pay back some loans before that can happen, but it IS going to happen. At the very least, an attempt of it is going to happen. That will make my husband a triple-crowner, but I'm saving the AT for my retirement years.

I've still never sewn my own backpack. Were you happy with yours? My last two have actually been Go-Lite (Ray Jardine inspired, pretty tough, and a good value). I will admit one thing; I'm not a fan of the tarp/ tarptent. I hate mosquito's too much.

I agree, lightweight backpacking is so much more enjoyable! I remember when my partner and I first started backpacking years ago and our packs were significantly heavier than they are now. It's so nice to be able to do longer trails and not get tired or sore.

I love having just one sleeping bag, but I can see how sharing it for 5 months could be challenging. We keep talking about sewing a second one but it hasn't happened yet. As far as the backpacks go, I don't like mine. It made my back and shoulders really sore, to the point where I was nauseous. It's hard to customize the shoulder straps to fit a smaller frame. Plus, the foam in the straps is too thick. I used it once and haven't touched it since. It was fun to make though! It would be okay for a day hike.

My partner, however, loves his backpack. He enjoys the mobility it gives him through the hip area since there isn't a belt. Plus, it's incredibly lightweight! When we go on backpacking trips I always feel like a monster because my pack is bigger (although he carries more stuff!). His straps have become less stiff over time and he has a system for how he packs everything so it stays comfortable. He's used it for about 5 years now and it is holding up incredibly well.

I don't like the tent/tarp much either (again, my partner loves them!). It's not easy to get in or out unless you're a pesky insect! Sometimes we bring our tarp along if the weather doesn't look promising. But, more often than not, we just use our regular tent. I feel bad because he worked so hard sewing it and it doesn't get much use. When the buggy season passes, we use it more.

The PCT is definitely on our agenda when we can find the time. Can't wait! The CDT would be amazing too! And the AT! Seriously, why can't we get paid to go backpacking? You must have some awesome photographs!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 am 
Tofu Pup

pastabake wrote:
My boyfriend has some vegan Salomon ones he likes a lot, and when my pregan ones get too raggedy I'll probably replace them with Salomons.

Assuming based on your username that you're a lady, these look like they're vegan. I'm pretty sure these are the ones boyfriend has.

I emailed Salomon's customer service and they responded with "We are sorry to inform you that none of our shoes are vegan. Thank you. The Salomon Team." I'm also having a hard time finding hiking boots and am probably going to settle for trail runners.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

hotpieceofclass wrote:
pastabake wrote:

I emailed Salomon's customer service and they responded with "We are sorry to inform you that none of our shoes are vegan. Thank you. The Salomon Team." I'm also having a hard time finding hiking boots and am probably going to settle for trail runners.

That’s too bad. I think I’m going to look into Garmont and see what I can find, if that doesn’t work out I’ll go the trail runner route.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I saw this on Pinterest and it made me think of this thread:

http://hikingboots.com/news/vegan-hiking-boots/

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com