| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

UD are going to sell to China and as despite their statement about 'changes' from within... it's shiitake, its a sell out really.

http://www.urbandecay.com/Urban-Decay-C ... lt,pg.html

this is sad. very sad.

Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:20 pm 

sorry, maybe this should be in the parlour? :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:24 pm 

I just read about this on Facebook. What the fork? I guess UD values the almighty dollar over the lives of innocent, defenseless animals. They have lost me as a customer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just read this too. With all these companies starting to sell in China, and with Mineral makeup breaking me out and making my eyes itch and burn, I'm going to have to start just drawing on my face with magic markers in the morning.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am soooooo disappointed in this. UD's lush lash mascara is the only vegan mascara I've found that works well for me, and I have no idea how I'm going to replace it. I will though... I really can't support a company that tries to tell me they have morals while demonstrating otherwise. I really hope Leaping Bunny pulls them off their cruelty-free list, and that this decision causes enough of a shitstorm that UD reconsiders.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:43 pm 

I wrote them an e-mail:

"Dear Urban Decay,

I'm writing to let you know that I will no longer purchase your products or support your company since you have decided to sell your products in China. You acknowledged in your statement about selling your products in China that China has mandated animal testing on all products sold in their country. You have been a cruelty-free company since the beginning, but I feel you have sold out, and by selling your products in China you are telling your customers that you value the dollar over innocent animals' lives. In your statement, you mention that you want to change the system in China so animal testing is not mandated, and I commend that, as a vegan consumer I want China to end mandated animal testing as well... I just don't see how you can decide to sell your products in China before the laws have been changed, thus allowing your products to be tested on animals.

I was upset when it was recently announced that Estee Lauder and their companies (Clinique, Origins, etc) would sell their products in China, but I figured they are a huge corporation and animal testing doesn't really matter to them. Urban Decay is a smaller cosmetics company, and you have always been cruelty-free. How can you change this now???

This news is already making its way around the vegan blogosphere, and I plan to tell my friends and family to boycott your products.

Please reconsider your decision to sell products in China.

Thank you for your time.
Jennifer Couzins
"

They responded quickly-- within ten minutes of sending my e-mail, actually.

"Hello Jennifer,

We completely understand why you would be upset about what you've heard. It sounds like you've already read out statement about our decision to enter China, but if you we would love for you to read it at http://www.urbandecay.com/chinainfo.

If you still have questions, we want to answer them. We are hosting a live chat with Urban Decay founding partner Wende Zomnir in two weeks. Check http://www.urbandecay.com/chinainfo for a confirmed date and time.

Please come - we would hate to lose such a passionate fan and activist.

Sincerely,
Team UD
"

Yeah, well, you're gonna lose my passionate activist butt if you go through with selling your products in China. Stupid UD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Leaping Bunny pulled them and issued a press release
http://leapingbunny.org/press6.php

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

This makes me sad. However the only products from UD I buy now are the pencil liner and mascara - which I really like a lot. Boo on them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:31 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

We have to have our products tested on animals so we can educate people about how bad animal testing is.

I am over here having a cuss fest. I'm starting to think we need to make a list of the CF companies that are left.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Maybe this is pedantic but is this the same thing as UD testing?
Quote:
For those of you unfamiliar with China’s policies, the sticking point is this: the Chinese government reserves the right to conduct animal testing with cosmetic products before the products are approved for use by Chinese citizens. The government has not told us if they have exercised this right with our products.

Does this mean that the Chinese Government reserves the right to test the products, not the individual companies? Are the companies eventually notified about the testing?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

This makes me so very sad. I really loved UD shadows and the primer. Greed is evil.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:59 pm 

Vantine wrote:
Maybe this is pedantic but is this the same thing as UD testing?
Quote:
For those of you unfamiliar with China’s policies, the sticking point is this: the Chinese government reserves the right to conduct animal testing with cosmetic products before the products are approved for use by Chinese citizens. The government has not told us if they have exercised this right with our products.

Does this mean that the Chinese Government reserves the right to test the products, not the individual companies? Are the companies eventually notified about the testing?

I know a lot of people were upset about MAC and other companies with vegan products going to China, but the thing is: UD has built its reputation as a completely CF company, most of those other companies have not. Hell, the vegan palette even says 'We don't do animal testing...how could anyone?' And they're not saying 'we have been told our products won't be tested so we're selling there', they're saying 'we don't know if they will be but we're doing it anyway'.

Also re: mineral makeup, I talked to the girl I buy mine from and this is what she said:

Quote:
The issue some mineral makeups is that it contains skin irritants like bismuth oxycholoride, talc, etc...but that's the case with most makeup from larger brands. I personally don't use those items and I have no issues with my mineral makeup and I'm acne prone.

So it's possible that you just need to watch for those ingredients, jessi.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:40 pm 

I think that their statement is a bit of a cop out really. For them to say, it wouldn't be us testing, it'd be the government, is completely ridiculous. I don't see how them starting to sell their products in China will really sway the Chinese government into changing it's policies on animal testing. Their move to sell products in China totally has nothing to do with the 100 million women there, no, it's definitely all about them wanting change.

I'm so p***ed off though, because I bought some stuff from them the other day. Argh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:58 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Ugh, for forks sake. Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add just rage!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I also wrote them a letter. Hopefully my anger didn't negatively affect my grammar too much. Rage makes me use extra commas for some reason.

Dear Urban Decay,

I am writing to tell you how disappointed I am in your decision to sell your products in China given their current animal testing requirements. UD's stance against animal testing has always been one of your company's most attractive qualities, and I find it disturbing that your press release uses the excuse that you will not personally be performing any animal tests to justify your decision. By sending your products to China where you know they will be tested on animals, you are condoning that testing. Period.

Good for you that you love animals so much that you have 13 dogs in your office. Unfortunately, those 13 happy dogs will be joined by hundreds of abused, tortured animals that will be used for testing your products in China. I hope that weighs heavily on enough your conscience to make you reconsider. Had you chosen not to release your product in China until they changed their testing regulations, you would not only be sparing those animals you would be making a strong statement about your company's morals and telling the world that there are things that matter more than money. The idea of sacrificing some lives for the potential good of the many is the argument China is making to justify their animal testing requirement... it just doesn't work for you to use the same argument by saying that it's okay for the Chinese government to test your products on animals for a while so that you can work from within to get the laws changed later.

I am glad to see that the folks at Leaping Bunny agree with those of us who are disturbed by your decision and have taken you off their cruelty-free companies list. I also hope that you will discontinue calling yourself a cruelty-free company as that is clearly no longer one of your priorities.

I have been a loyal Urban Decay customer for years. I hope you will reconsider your decision, but until that happens I will no longer be purchasing any Urban Decay products. I will also encourage my family, friends, and coworkers to boycott your products. Looking good and making money are not, and will never be, more important than animal lives. I'm sorry that you seem to have forgotten that.

Sincerely,

Katy ****

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This is super annoying, but I'm glad they're being really transparent about it and telling us what they are doing. I know I buy products from other companies whose products are vegan, but I have no idea if they sell their products in China or what kind of testing of their products goes on. I don't really buy make up, and I do find this annoying and their statement is cop out because it's gotta be mostly a monetary concern, not a concern for changing the system from within. that's just silly. If they really wanted to make a statement, they would tell china we won't sell our products here until you change your policies. However, I'm not sure this would stop me from buying their stuff over another brand whose policies I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:56 pm 

Zensquiggle, that's such a well-written letter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:51 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

omg. i just realized i kind of shiitake in this thread, too. god. i am a crasshole today!

ps, that really is a good letter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Such bullshiitake.

Companies that have marketed themselves actively as cruelty free are held to a higher standard. Like Aveda. I'd rather go buy random evil conglomerate supermarket shampoo now than give Aveda more money just because I feel crapped on by them after all my years of buying Aveda.

I still don't understand this issue: many of these companies have already sold in China. Is it that products are being manufactured in China now vs just imported?

Please let us not hear next week that Zoya was bought out by somebody who tests.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, beautiful eloquent letter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:24 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

This sucks. Stupid Urban Decay. They make the only lipstick I like, because it's sheer and doesn't stain my lips and look all gross when it wears off and the color is perfect and it's kind of sparkly.

Any ideas for a vegan replacement?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't think of a reason why Zoya would not sell in China if they thought they could be profitable doing so. This is one of the few news sites I could find with an article about it. Note that China is a $15 billion dollar and growing market. These companies were for-profit before this news and remain for-profit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm 

Zoya claims to be vegan friendly on their site, but they're not all 'rah rah down with animal testing' like UD is/was. Lush is a comparable company, and they have already said they will not sell in China unless the laws change.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 pm 

strawberryrock wrote:
This sucks. Stupid Urban Decay. They make the only lipstick I like, because it's sheer and doesn't stain my lips and look all gross when it wears off and the color is perfect and it's kind of sparkly.

Any ideas for a vegan replacement?

I would google the name + 'dupe' and see what you come up with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Aaaaargh! forking lame!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next