| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

[quote="ndpittman]

Also, Boscia is OK from what I can tell. http://www.bosciaskincare.com/newsite/about_us.php?show=philosophy
https://www.facebook.com/bosciaskincare/info

[/quote]

Boscia's website doesn't say anything about animal testing, just that there are no animal ingredients in their makeup. I'd speculate that the question of animal testing isn't omitted blindly. Their philosophy is one based on health, and avoiding preservatives/allergens, and that's the reasoning they give for lack of animal ingredients.

Doesn't mean they *do* test but they're still on the hook.

FWIW, I couldn't find anything about Too Faced selling in China, but I'm still cautious because their labeling of "vegan-friendly" products is pretty inconsistent on their website. If you click on individual products, some say vegan-friendly (even a few with beeswax). If you go to their faq page, they have a list of vegan products that isn't entirely consistent with the individual product pages.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:38 pm 

ndpittman wrote:

Boscia's website doesn't say anything about animal testing, just that there are no animal ingredients in their makeup. I'd speculate that the question of animal testing isn't omitted blindly. Their philosophy is one based on health, and avoiding preservatives/allergens, and that's the reasoning they give for lack of animal ingredients.

Doesn't mean they *do* test but they're still on the hook.

FWIW, I couldn't find anything about Too Faced selling in China, but I'm still cautious because their labeling of "vegan-friendly" products is pretty inconsistent on their website. If you click on individual products, some say vegan-friendly (even a few with beeswax). If you go to their faq page, they have a list of vegan products that isn't entirely consistent with the individual product pages.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 pm 

Sorry mods--have no idea how I managed to double-post as I was neurotically correcting the quote format.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Also FWIW, Boscia is on Peta's do not test list.

And listed on Dermstore as vegan: http://www.dermstore.com/product_MakeUp-BreakUp+Cool+Cleansing+Oil+_22005.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:19 pm 

Good to know!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yeah I was just going to post, from Boscia's website FAQ: "Are boscia products tested on animals?
We do not conduct any testing of ingredients or products on animals. In addition, our products do not contain any animal ingredients."

Which is good because goddamnit if I have to hate Boscia too I am going to flip the fork out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:32 pm 

Amy wrote:
Yeah I was just going to post, from Boscia's website FAQ: "Are boscia products tested on animals?
We do not conduct any testing of ingredients or products on animals. In addition, our products do not contain any animal ingredients."

Which is good because goddamnit if I have to hate Boscia too I am going to flip the fork out.

Right?! I'm addicted to their BB Cream now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:38 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ndpittman wrote:
Right?! I'm addicted to their BB Cream now.

I love it but it's a bit too dark for me, so I'm waiting patiently for them to come out with a lighter version. (Meaning, I'm hoping they will).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Okay, they don't carry much, but:

http://veganbeautymarket.3dcartstores.com/

Although I anti-recommend Herbs of Grace because they sell unblended pigments as eyeshadows/blushes. I got one from Cosmo's because it was less than $2 when they were going out of business, and it arrived with the ingredients of 'mica' (meaning nothing added to the color to improve blendability or adhesion), and since it's full on mica it's almost impossible to not achieve clown cheeks.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 pm 

OK, I might have to stop turning up my nose at E.L.F. They have some really pretty stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman wrote:
OK, I might have to stop turning up my nose at E.L.F. They have some really pretty stuff.

e.l.f.'s minty lip glosses are my favorite!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:23 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Herbs of Grace sent me a bunch of samples when I taught a vegan beauty class, I only tried one shadow and it was OK - a bit dry but not the worst. I have tried a butt load of mineral makeup, some are good, some suck. I like Roni's stuff and she is super nice and a super animal rescue gal:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyWares?section_id=6150513

I bought E.L.F.'s minty SPF balm on Friday - really nice, really minty and it even made my lips tingle/plump/turn pink!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:28 pm 

ELF can be a crepe shoot, but anything from the Studio line should be okay even if you don't totally love it. Right now, my favorites are the lash primer, the SPF 15 Lip Balm (rose is pretty and decently pigmented, but not too scary if you aren't used to wearing color on your lips, then I have a nude one that's pretty sheer), and the mineral eyeshadows are pretty pigmented too. And from the cheapo line, I like the nail polish remover pads because they're gentle on my beat up hands.

A lot of people love the eyeliner pen and I know it's only a dollar, but that forker dries out so fast, I don't care how much it is if I can only use it once or twice.

And like anything, you can look up ELF haul/review videos on youtube!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:31 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

The pen is getting better. I did not buy one for awhile because it was drying up. I recently started using them again, they last 2-3 weeks for me with the last few batches!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have only posted on here a handful of times but I had to pay a visit to see what everyone's thoughts were on the UD thing-it was a HUGE disappointment to me. So many Urban things were my faves, and I know two of the brand reps-only talked to one of them so far and while she was really sweet to me, and I think SHE genuinely believes that they are really doing the whole "change from within" thing but I am harder to convince. Bottom line, money apparently matters to them more than anything, so they are not getting mine, and I have told them this.

I wrote a letter to Too Faced (my other fave) begging them not to sell in China, and I really hope they don't. I just feel like I can't trust ANY company now! I need to replace a lot of my makeup anyway, so I am going to try to stick with mostly indie/smaller brands, OCC, ELF, WnW, and a few higher end brands that are still OK as far as I can tell.

I know there were a few questions/comments/suggestions about mascara, so, throwing my two cents in I love the Blinc Kiss Me mascara, which is vegan, doesn't test, and, to the best of my knowledge is not distributed in China. I also use the Wet n' Wild lengtening mascara-not bad for like $2 for an every day mascara.

One piece of good news I saw today is that LUSH posted a statement on their website which says that they will not distribute in China-thank the good Lard, at least one company is safe!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:58 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I have yet to find out what is vegan from Too Faced! Care to share?

[edit] I found this. I am a bit concerned that they said their lanolin is not animal derived...That seems really odd to me.

http://veggie-beauty.blogspot.com/2011/ ... etics.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:24 pm 

missmuffcake wrote:

[edit] I found this. I am a bit concerned that they said their lanolin is not animal derived...That seems really odd to me.

I have talked to that girl and she said that she pressed the issue with them and they didn't answer. There is no such thing as synthetic lanolin and if there was, they would be required to mark it as such on their packaging, like some ELF products have synthetic beeswax listed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:03 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I figured as much! Most of the items on the list are discontinued anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:32 am 
Tofu Pup

missmuffcake wrote:

I did see the list on veggie beauty but the one they sent me did not contain the Shadow Insurance w/ Lanolin. They started adding "vegan friendly" or "vegan friendly shades" to their descriptions, so maybe they started doing their research a little better? I hope so-the items on the list they gave me seemed legit as far as I recall. I have to track it down in my 090340320 emails that I'm so bad about organzing but I'll post here later :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:15 pm 
Inflexitarian

Are there any major companies (like, companies that I could find at Sephora and/or a drugstore and/or a box store) that 100% vegan and 100% not tested on animals? I really have trouble reading ingredients on cosmetics so I don't love going item by item... and I'd also prefer to support a 100% vegan company if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've really been liking the Josie Maran products, but they're pricey! It's cruelty free, but not all vegan... But, it seems easy to see ingredients, etc.

http://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

hey guys,
still working on getting you the Too Faced info-have an old email I printed out-scanned it at work and emailed it to myself with our fancy fax machine-now it's in .pdf file. I will work on copying into a word document or something I can copy so I can post it here :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:13 pm 

quark wrote:
Are there any major companies (like, companies that I could find at Sephora and/or a drugstore and/or a box store) that 100% vegan and 100% not tested on animals? I really have trouble reading ingredients on cosmetics so I don't love going item by item... and I'd also prefer to support a 100% vegan company if possible.

ZuZu Luxe, Gabriel, and BWC aren't major companies but they are readily available at Whole Foods, if you live near one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:53 am 
Inflexitarian

tinglepants! wrote:
quark wrote:

ZuZu Luxe, Gabriel, and BWC aren't major companies but they are readily available at Whole Foods, if you live near one.

Thank you! The nearest Whole Foods is 45 minutes away, but it's doable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:08 am 

When Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats, they stopped carrying Ecco Bella mascara at the Nashville store! So there was like, no vegan makeup. WF really varies with their products by area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next