| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:08 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hello there!
I'm on the market for some new casual shoes, the shoes I've got just busted out on the back heel and there's a tiny hole where my little toe is (per usual with the brand I had been getting). I've been buying PF Flyers, but with their vegan-credentials being so-so, I'd rather buy from a company that can boast certified vegan from sole to glue to upper material.
Does anyone have any suggestions for shoes similar to these? Thanks!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:55 pm 
Offline
Hail Seitan!
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm
Posts: 666
Location: Germany
I got nothin', but I hate to see a fellow newbie with no one to talk to. So! Hello. Any shoe-hunting luck so far?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3387
Location: idontevenknowanymore
the only shoes 'similar to those' that I've had have busted the heel pretty quickly. I'm doing something like this at the moment, and so far so good

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 118
i've always had good luck with saucony. i'm on my second pair of these. On them, the mesh part over the toes go first for me.

i also had a pair of vegan macbeths which is probably more the style you were looking for. On those I think i wore through the sole first.

_________________
The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:24 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
I'm not a dude, but my boyfriend is, and he has a similar problem to yours. Not sure the vegan-ness of the glue and whatnot, but Chrome makes some seriously sturdy (and stylish) shoes. I have the Dolores for myself, but check out some of the low tops they have in stock. Some folks at the store confirmed that there's a stupid strip of leather in the high tops for some reason, so avoid those.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/shoes/kursk.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Thought I should update everyone here. I got fed up in my search and just emailed PF Flyers directly. Here's the email exchange:
Me:
Hi there -
I'm curious, are your non-leather shoes vegan? I've been wearing the Bob Cousy low-tops and the Sandlot reissues, and I love them. I'm vegan now, and am looking to get a new pair of shoes, but I'd rather place my money with an all vegan shoe, with no animal materials used in the material of the upper portion of the shoe, the sole, the glue, nothing. Could you verify that information for me? I'd prefer to stick with what I'm used to and love, but if it's not vegan I'm afraid I can't make the purchase in good conscious. Thanks!

PF Flyers reply:
Hey Tyler,

We actually were very close to a vegan friendly shoe in 2010 and upon noticing the issue we made a simple change to the shoe to make it so. The issue was the glue used to bind the shoe together which contained some form of animal product.... I forget what it was exactly. At any rate the canvas PF Flyers shoes from 2011 and on will all be vegan friendly so you can sport your favorite shoes without having to worry about staying true to your ideals.

Thank you for your interest and concern,
Jeff
Customer Care
PFFlyers.com

SO! If it's canvas, it's vegan from PF Flyers. Go retro, be neat, be vegan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nooch
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 128
Oh nice , that's great to know cause the beau is a fan and in need of new sneaks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:41 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4772
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
alice1drland wrote:
I'm not a dude, but my boyfriend is, and he has a similar problem to yours. Not sure the vegan-ness of the glue and whatnot, but Chrome makes some seriously sturdy (and stylish) shoes. I have the Dolores for myself, but check out some of the low tops they have in stock. Some folks at the store confirmed that there's a stupid strip of leather in the high tops for some reason, so avoid those.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/shoes/kursk.html


Kursk and Tobruk? So they're named after major tank battles of WW2...? Huh.

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:28 am 
Offline
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 am
Posts: 160
Location: CT/US
tylerevansokay wrote:
Thought I should update everyone here. I got fed up in my search and just emailed PF Flyers directly. Here's the email exchange:
Me:
Hi there -
I'm curious, are your non-leather shoes vegan? I've been wearing the Bob Cousy low-tops and the Sandlot reissues, and I love them. I'm vegan now, and am looking to get a new pair of shoes, but I'd rather place my money with an all vegan shoe, with no animal materials used in the material of the upper portion of the shoe, the sole, the glue, nothing. Could you verify that information for me? I'd prefer to stick with what I'm used to and love, but if it's not vegan I'm afraid I can't make the purchase in good conscious. Thanks!

PF Flyers reply:
Hey Tyler,

We actually were very close to a vegan friendly shoe in 2010 and upon noticing the issue we made a simple change to the shoe to make it so. The issue was the glue used to bind the shoe together which contained some form of animal product.... I forget what it was exactly. At any rate the canvas PF Flyers shoes from 2011 and on will all be vegan friendly so you can sport your favorite shoes without having to worry about staying true to your ideals.

Thank you for your interest and concern,
Jeff
Customer Care
PFFlyers.com

SO! If it's canvas, it's vegan from PF Flyers. Go retro, be neat, be vegan.


very cool. thanks for the update.

im in desperate need of new sneakers, so these might do the trick for me.

edit: someone on Zappos posted "Also, the fabric inside the heel is suede" about the canvas Bob Cousy model. so... boo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:14 am 
Offline
Chip Strong

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:40 pm
Posts: 954
matty wrote:
tylerevansokay wrote:
Thought I should update everyone here. I got fed up in my search and just emailed PF Flyers directly. Here's the email exchange:
Me:
Hi there -
I'm curious, are your non-leather shoes vegan? I've been wearing the Bob Cousy low-tops and the Sandlot reissues, and I love them. I'm vegan now, and am looking to get a new pair of shoes, but I'd rather place my money with an all vegan shoe, with no animal materials used in the material of the upper portion of the shoe, the sole, the glue, nothing. Could you verify that information for me? I'd prefer to stick with what I'm used to and love, but if it's not vegan I'm afraid I can't make the purchase in good conscious. Thanks!

PF Flyers reply:
Hey Tyler,

We actually were very close to a vegan friendly shoe in 2010 and upon noticing the issue we made a simple change to the shoe to make it so. The issue was the glue used to bind the shoe together which contained some form of animal product.... I forget what it was exactly. At any rate the canvas PF Flyers shoes from 2011 and on will all be vegan friendly so you can sport your favorite shoes without having to worry about staying true to your ideals.

Thank you for your interest and concern,
Jeff
Customer Care
PFFlyers.com

SO! If it's canvas, it's vegan from PF Flyers. Go retro, be neat, be vegan.


very cool. thanks for the update.

im in desperate need of new sneakers, so these might do the trick for me.

edit: someone on Zappos posted "Also, the fabric inside the heel is suede" about the canvas Bob Cousy model. so... boo.


I would write to the company on this as well. People online are idiots and cannot tell the difference between suede and microsuede/microfiber.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:06 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Fort Worth, TX
What? No it isn't. I've owned the Bob Cousy shoes, it's an all canvas shoe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:19 am 
Offline
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 am
Posts: 160
Location: CT/US
i see, thanks for the info guys.

i might try a pair out, my one pair of sneaks smell and are starting to get some big holes in them. yuck.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer