| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello there!
I'm on the market for some new casual shoes, the shoes I've got just busted out on the back heel and there's a tiny hole where my little toe is (per usual with the brand I had been getting). I've been buying PF Flyers, but with their vegan-credentials being so-so, I'd rather buy from a company that can boast certified vegan from sole to glue to upper material.
Does anyone have any suggestions for shoes similar to these? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Vegan Men's Shoe for Strong Wear and Tear?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:55 pm 
Hail Seitan!

I got nothin', but I hate to see a fellow newbie with no one to talk to. So! Hello. Any shoe-hunting luck so far?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

the only shoes 'similar to those' that I've had have busted the heel pretty quickly. I'm doing something like this at the moment, and so far so good

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

i've always had good luck with saucony. i'm on my second pair of these. On them, the mesh part over the toes go first for me.

i also had a pair of vegan macbeths which is probably more the style you were looking for. On those I think i wore through the sole first.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm not a dude, but my boyfriend is, and he has a similar problem to yours. Not sure the vegan-ness of the glue and whatnot, but Chrome makes some seriously sturdy (and stylish) shoes. I have the Dolores for myself, but check out some of the low tops they have in stock. Some folks at the store confirmed that there's a stupid strip of leather in the high tops for some reason, so avoid those.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/shoes/kursk.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thought I should update everyone here. I got fed up in my search and just emailed PF Flyers directly. Here's the email exchange:
Me:
Hi there -
I'm curious, are your non-leather shoes vegan? I've been wearing the Bob Cousy low-tops and the Sandlot reissues, and I love them. I'm vegan now, and am looking to get a new pair of shoes, but I'd rather place my money with an all vegan shoe, with no animal materials used in the material of the upper portion of the shoe, the sole, the glue, nothing. Could you verify that information for me? I'd prefer to stick with what I'm used to and love, but if it's not vegan I'm afraid I can't make the purchase in good conscious. Thanks!

PF Flyers reply:
Hey Tyler,

We actually were very close to a vegan friendly shoe in 2010 and upon noticing the issue we made a simple change to the shoe to make it so. The issue was the glue used to bind the shoe together which contained some form of animal product.... I forget what it was exactly. At any rate the canvas PF Flyers shoes from 2011 and on will all be vegan friendly so you can sport your favorite shoes without having to worry about staying true to your ideals.

Thank you for your interest and concern,
Jeff
Customer Care
PFFlyers.com

SO! If it's canvas, it's vegan from PF Flyers. Go retro, be neat, be vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Oh nice , that's great to know cause the beau is a fan and in need of new sneaks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

alice1drland wrote:
I'm not a dude, but my boyfriend is, and he has a similar problem to yours. Not sure the vegan-ness of the glue and whatnot, but Chrome makes some seriously sturdy (and stylish) shoes. I have the Dolores for myself, but check out some of the low tops they have in stock. Some folks at the store confirmed that there's a stupid strip of leather in the high tops for some reason, so avoid those.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/shoes/kursk.html

Kursk and Tobruk? So they're named after major tank battles of WW2...? Huh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:28 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

tylerevansokay wrote:
Thought I should update everyone here. I got fed up in my search and just emailed PF Flyers directly. Here's the email exchange:
Me:
Hi there -
I'm curious, are your non-leather shoes vegan? I've been wearing the Bob Cousy low-tops and the Sandlot reissues, and I love them. I'm vegan now, and am looking to get a new pair of shoes, but I'd rather place my money with an all vegan shoe, with no animal materials used in the material of the upper portion of the shoe, the sole, the glue, nothing. Could you verify that information for me? I'd prefer to stick with what I'm used to and love, but if it's not vegan I'm afraid I can't make the purchase in good conscious. Thanks!

PF Flyers reply:
Hey Tyler,

We actually were very close to a vegan friendly shoe in 2010 and upon noticing the issue we made a simple change to the shoe to make it so. The issue was the glue used to bind the shoe together which contained some form of animal product.... I forget what it was exactly. At any rate the canvas PF Flyers shoes from 2011 and on will all be vegan friendly so you can sport your favorite shoes without having to worry about staying true to your ideals.

Jeff
Customer Care
PFFlyers.com

very cool. thanks for the update.

im in desperate need of new sneakers, so these might do the trick for me.

edit: someone on Zappos posted "Also, the fabric inside the heel is suede" about the canvas Bob Cousy model. so... boo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:14 am 
Chip Strong

matty wrote:
tylerevansokay wrote:
Me:
Hi there -

PF Flyers reply:
Hey Tyler,

Jeff
Customer Care
PFFlyers.com

very cool. thanks for the update.

im in desperate need of new sneakers, so these might do the trick for me.

edit: someone on Zappos posted "Also, the fabric inside the heel is suede" about the canvas Bob Cousy model. so... boo.

I would write to the company on this as well. People online are idiots and cannot tell the difference between suede and microsuede/microfiber.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

What? No it isn't. I've owned the Bob Cousy shoes, it's an all canvas shoe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:19 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

i see, thanks for the info guys.

i might try a pair out, my one pair of sneaks smell and are starting to get some big holes in them. yuck.