| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

baps wrote:
Shiseido - I'm sure I read that they have recently stopped animal testing. I need to research that to confirm, but I was looking into Nars because they don't test and I like their stuff, but they're owned by Shiseido.

What?! Ok, first of all, if that turns out to be true you just shared awesomeness into my life. Second, if that turns out to be true why couldn't they have done it before Nars came out with the Warhol collection?!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lavawitch wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
what is a gentle and non-irritating makeup remover that i can use to get 'my face' off? i have been using the ELF wipes for years but i am thinking that they are irritating my eyelid eczema, because an hour after removing my makeup my lids are swollen and puffy.

i wear a lot of black liner and mascara, so the remover needs to work wonders! i have tried olive oil and it made my lids and eye feel heavy and vision blurry for awhile after using it. right now i am using 7th generation baby wipes which are not moist enough but do not cause irritation.

I just tried some Giovanni lava wipes. They seem ok. The matching cleanser makes me itch, probably because it has acai extract. The wipes are pretty moist--you would get some liquid if you squeezed.

Oh, oh! My eyes are VERY sensitive and I use Blum sensitive skin wipes to remove my makeup. They are amazing, and the packaging helps prevent the wipes from drying out. I won't use anything else now.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 am 
Ninja Master

i'm confused now about Shiseido. They said they have stopped animal testing and will 'only resort to it in exceptional circumstances'. I thought this meant, where required by law but then this article says they won't be selling in China.

So it's only in the event that they can't prove a new ingredient safe any other way.

Not sure what to think of this!

http://www.refinery29.com/2013/03/43832 ... -cosmetics

edit: oh apparently this is not very accurate, they ARE selling in china. So they do still test anyway. Excitement short-lived!

And my Nars pro discount just came through! DAMMIT :(

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Usually, when companies contradict themselves or speak in vague terms, they're just using fancy rhetoric for "we'll tell you what you want to hear so we can sell to you, but we need to make sure we're not, technically, lying."

That's the biggest issue I have with Shiseido--they're not really being clear about any of it, and I don't know whether to trust what they're saying. It's also the biggest issue I have with L'Oreal--I'd probably still buy Urban Decay if I could trust the accuracy of their statement that UD will remain cruelty-free and not sold in China. But L'Oreal has contradicted itself so much and actually lobbied for more animal testing...at the very least, I want the parent company to be consistent and honest.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:50 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

baps wrote:
Shiseido - I'm sure I read that they have recently stopped animal testing. I need to research that to confirm, but I was looking into Nars because they don't test and I like their stuff, but they're owned by Shiseido.

I would love to know what you come up with!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:57 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

did smashbox sell out to china? i was trying to explain it all ramped up on rockstar & tea to the counter lady today....

edit to add: they are owned by EL, the counter person said no, but i thought otherwise...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

So, I found some new vegan lipstick and it's really nice. It feels/smells like I remember my mom's lipstick when I was a kid - it's more solid than a lot of the other formulas out there, but it's still pretty moisturizing and goes on easily enough.

The company seems to be all vegan, doesn't test and is made in the u.s. It's called the elixery - http://www.elixery.com/

I got bittersweet, which is nice on me (I'm pretty pale), though about 2 shades lighter than it displayed on my monitor (not complaining, it's just a danger of buying cosmetics online). I'm happy with the quality - I'd say it stays on better than urban decay and zuzu lipsticks and is less drying than the tarte lipsurgence sticks with similar staying power. You definitely have to dab it on and layer it rather than slathering it on (my usual lipstick application method) since it is thicker and less sheer than I'm used to lipsticks being.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Awesome! They have an orange color I want. I love orange!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Has anyone tried Red Apple products? I guess they are only available online and all vegan, right? What about Paul and Joe cosmetics; does anyone know about their stuff? The packaging is adorable and they are cruelty free, but it's a pain to decipher all the ingredients aside from the obvious ones. I love how pretty the lipsticks are. And everything else too though. So cute!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Red Apple at one point was advertising that they were vegan, but their lipstick ingredient lists include beeswax, and I no longer see them claiming vegan on their site. I don't trust them because of that discrepancy.

Are Paul and Joe cruelty free? Because their nail polish bottles are so cute and I've been coveting them but I couldn't find any info on their testing stance. Now I just need to find an ingredient list.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14