| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

V05 and St Ives are both owned by Alberto Culver, who were acquired by Unilever in 2010. I'm not the vegan police, just wanted to share the info.

eta I find White Rain at Big Lots and the Dollar Tree. I use their conditioner as shaving cream when I shave my legs. I'm a fan.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Mr. Shankly wrote:
bunniee wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I don't have info on VO5 but White Rain states on their website that they don't do animal testing or use animal based ingredients. At least one of their conditioners uses honey though.

http://www.whiterain.com/qna.asp

Yeah, I knew about White Rain but the problem is that I can't find their products anywhere! I've checked 3 grocery stores, Rite-Aid, 3 different CVS's and found nothing. I've even checked in two states.

You probably would have already checked there if you have one around you, but I used to work at Walgreens and they carried White Rain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:31 pm 
ugh

Mr. Shankly, try Dollar Tree! They used to sell it when I worked there.

ETA: Whoops, I missed that jessilikewhoa had already posted that.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

Quote:
Hello Mr. Shankly,

Thank you for contacting us regarding St. Ives Body Wash .

Some of our products contain ingredients that are derived from animal-by-products. Any product containing Glycerin and/or Stearic Acid contains animal by products, but no pork by-products:

Stearic acid is from beef tallow
Glycerin may be either synthetic or natural. Natural glycerin, is derived from beef tallow or coconut.
Lanolin Alcohol is derived from animal matter
Oleic Acid is derived from animal matter (beef or pork)
The actual ingredient used in the products is significantly different from the original animal-by-product. These types of ingredients are widely used in our industry, and they are safe and effective in our products.

Sincerely,

Your friends at St. Ives

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I just heard back from Make Up Geek about their eyeshadows, and most of them are vegan!

Quote:
Hi Jessi,

Here are the shades containing carmine, all the others are ok to be considered vegan:

Twilight
Razzleberry
Duchesss
Unexpected
Unicorn
Cupcake
Mango Tango
Country Girl
Manderine

Hope this helps!

the MUG team

Bad news guys, just got my order in from Makeup Geek, and the ingredients list "lanolin alcohol". So not vegan. Suxorz.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:37 pm 
Ninja Master

aww shiitake that's annoying!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have happy news though, I also received the order I placed with Manic Panic Collection, I bought the mascara but I haven't tried it yet, a lipstick (Mystic Heather) that is super pigmented and goes on really smooth, and three eyeshadow refills (making my own crappy DIY palette with little stick on magnets and a Hello Kitty storage tin I got at Target for $1), all in the red/pink family since vegan red and pink shadows are so hard to find. I bought Vampire's Kiss, Red Passion, and Hot Hot Pink, and they are the smoothest, easiest to use, most pigmented eyeshadows I own, way better than Urban Decay, even the new UD shadows, and better than my Too Faced shadows too. The pans look to be around the size of the UD Deluxe shadows, and they're $4 each. I can't say enough good things.

I got the Acidberry pressed shadow from Sugarpill too, and while it isn't as pigmented as the MP ones, it's still pretty vivid, and the color is awesome.

Now I'm just waiting on orders from Yaby and Pretty Serious, in my quest to test products to replace everything I used to buy before the China debacle.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:40 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I wrote a review of Shiro eyeshadows that is ready whenever the site is! I'll definitely be experimenting with some other companies soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Okay, I know i'm lame but the heat has been making it hard to spend a lot of time at my computer, and i'm getting overwhelmed, BUT today my boss is out to a meeting so I did add everyone who asked to be added to the blog. I added y'all as just authors, that means you write your post and submit it, and esme is just going to look at it quickly for spelling/grammar. Mostly it's so the posts can be scheduled to go up, so people don't all write and post something on the same day, so there's no flood of posts and then a dry patch.

BUT if you want to do actual work on the blog, like help with the lists and shiitake, I can upgrade you and you can just ask when you should post something (or save it as a draft and i'll put the publish date for you). If you don't want the responsibility, that's fine.

I would like everyone to make a little bio for the about page! If you want to include a little avatar picture too, that's fine. like 100 pixels wide and max 200 tall?

I am not crazy about the wordpress layout, but I am really nitpicky about that and I know i'm just going to spend two hours trying out different ones.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I wanta help! I can help with stuff. I'm not much of a product person. I'd love to do a vegan perfume review for when I go to Sephora...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I can help with stuff. I'm not much of a product person. I'd love to do a vegan perfume review for when I go to Sephora...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Too Faced seems to have worked on their site marking things that are vegan! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
Too Faced seems to have worked on their site marking things that are vegan! :)

Yay! I bought three of the Exotic Color Intense Eyeshadow Singles awhile back with a Sephora gift card because the ingredients for those colors looked vegan, so the confirmation is nice. Great eyeshadows too, pigmented and unique for pressed shadows, with a duochrome flash you usually see with loose mineral shadow. (I have Midnight Mist, Cop a Teal, and Poison Orchid)

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

I finally was able to get to a Dollar Tree and found White Rain products there. Thanks for heading me in the right direction! Now I have another question, I always thought that panthenol was an animal product, is it not? It was in both the White Rain and VO5 products.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

According to wikipedia it can be from plant or animal sources, it's vitamin B5.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

jessilikewhoa wrote:
According to wikipedia it can be from plant or animal sources, it's vitamin B5.

Thanks! I was looking around online about it and stuff about honey popped up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:25 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Apparently I fail at anything that isn't blogger! I've been trying to work out how to add photos to my post for 35 minutes and I literally cannot do it! According to the support forums there should be an 'add media icon' thing above the bit where you can make words into links and make your writing bold and stuff. The post I'm writing doesn't seem to have one of those! Someone tell me what I'm missing?!

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I would like everyone to make a little bio for the about page! If you want to include a little avatar picture too, that's fine. like 100 pixels wide and max 200 tall?

I've also been on there three times to try to work out how to do this! Is their a specific about page that I should go to and add my info or do you mean that I need to fill out the 'My Public Profile' section on the dashboard?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I need a new photo. I wrote my bio, but all photos of me are from before my current hair.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I need a new photo. I wrote my bio, but all photos of me are from before my current hair.

Did you write your bio in Wordpress already? How?!! Did you just fill out the 'My Public Profile' bit?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I filled out my public profile, but for the actual blog I wrote something up that I'm going to paste into the "about " page when I get a new photo. I'm pretty sure that's what MBM said to do. I just wrote a little blurb paragraph about myself.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Paul Mitchell might start selling to China. :/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh emailed them in June and they said
Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry about our distribution in China. As the present moment, we have ceased any and all registrations of product into China as we realize that the Chinese government requires animal testing. We are an animal-friendly company and have made the decision to hold off on further product registrations until we find humane ways of registering and importing products into China.

In regard to vegan-friendly products, Paul Mitchell, MITCH and Tea Tree hair care and styling products are all on the list! Some of our Awapuhi Wild Ginger products contain keratin that is derived from sheep's wool, but rest assured that our sheep are never harmed during the shearing process!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. Thanks for being a Paul Mitchell fan!

and at the same time I contacted Leaping Bunny about them and LB said
Quote:
Hi Jessi,
Thanks for your email and your commitment to cruelty-free shopping. We asked Paul Mitchell whether or not they sell in China and they said they had not begun to sell there. Whether or not they do in the future is unknown at this time. Rest assured that we are monitoring the situation closely. If you have any additional questions or concerns, place feel free to contact me.
Best,
Kim

So I'm curious where Logical Harmony (that's where I read today that PM might start selling in China, did you hear it somewhere else?) got her information, because after I read her post I googled, and checked LB's website, and I'm not finding anything.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I read it here, who sourced it from LH:
http://www.mybeautybunny.com

Second time this week the site has given me crappy info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

In regard to vegan-friendly products, Paul Mitchell, MITCH and Tea Tree hair care and styling products are all on the list! Some of our Awapuhi Wild Ginger products contain keratin that is derived from sheep's wool, but rest assured that our sheep are never harmed during the shearing process!

most of the pomade/styling paste MITCH products contain lanolin. paul mitchell hair color also contains lanolin & beeswax...just metioning that since i have seen thier hair color listed as vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, PM don't fully grasp the vegan thing. I should probably have pointed that out when I reposted the email, my mistake. PM love their beeswax, I go to a PM school and one of the big talking points they give is that all their hair colors have a beeswax base. They do have a lot of vegan products though, just not so much in the paste/wax/pomade department.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next