| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Smart Phone?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:17 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'm looking to upgrade (because my phone can barely make it through the day without inexplicably turning off and refusing to turn back on for minutes or hours) and I figure I might as well go the smartphone route. However, I don't know much about smart phones and while I'm tempted to go the easy route and get an iPhone, I figured I'd turn it over to people who actually know about these kinds of things.

Thanks!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: Best Smart Phone?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 pm 
Chard Martyr

I was in the same situation as you, though maybe a bit more resistant to the idea of a smartphone. In the end, I got an iPhone because I had enough Fido dollars to cover it, and I was shocked that my monthly bill was the same with virtually unlimited data. I love it.

Jay loves his Droid, and I have seen nothing but Droid/whatever other phone versus iPhone arguments on the internet, so I say go try them out and see what you like. I needed a new ipod anyway, so my iPhone was a great (free) acquisition. I got the 4 but not the 4S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

In the grand scheme of things you'll probably be happy with either. I like my Samsung galaxy S because I find typing with on screen keyboards to be absolutely infuriating. I don't love the android OS, but do like that it it's more accessible and less locked up than the iPhone. I would probably get an iPhone over any keyboardless Droid though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I loved my Droid, but then it died and I got an iPhone.

I will never love another piece of technology like I love my iPhone.

The camera is amazing, the touchscreen is INCREDIBLE (I hated using the touchscreen keypad on my Droid after the keyboard broke), and the GPS beats the crepe out of my Droid. It used to be every time I tried to look up where I was and do a search nearby or something, the Droid would constantly be "unable to determine my current location." It needed like five or ten minutes to finally figure out where it was. The iPhone just does it! Immediately!

I am seriously boggled by how much I love my iPhone. I used to make fun of people who were so obsessed with their iPhones, but now I am one of them. I have replaced all need for human companionship with my iPhone.

Bonus: I asked Siri what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, and she asked "African, or European?"

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

DarthCupcake wrote:
I loved my Droid, but then it died and I got an iPhone.

I will never love another piece of technology like I love my iPhone.

The camera is amazing, the touchscreen is INCREDIBLE (I hated using the touchscreen keypad on my Droid after the keyboard broke), and the GPS beats the crepe out of my Droid. It used to be every time I tried to look up where I was and do a search nearby or something, the Droid would constantly be "unable to determine my current location." It needed like five or ten minutes to finally figure out where it was. The iPhone just does it! Immediately!

I am seriously boggled by how much I love my iPhone. I used to make fun of people who were so obsessed with their iPhones, but now I am one of them. I have replaced all need for human companionship with my iPhone.

Bonus: I asked Siri what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, and she asked "African, or European?"

All of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You should try them out in the store and see what's in your budget. I got an HTC Wildfire which is a budget smartphone, and it was free on the Virgin Supertab (I will try to avoid a set contract for the rest of my days) and I like it. Wish it had more memory but other than that for what I paid for its really good.

Otherwise I'm usually a fan of Samsung. I've done a lot of things to my old phone that should have killed it, but it just wouldn't die. When I worked with Rogers, it was probably the brand we got the least complaints about.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 am 
WRETCHED

My biggest issue with smart phones is the additional cost for a data plan which is why I've been personally resistant against them. Now having said that, I use a work phone now but when I quit my job, I plan to get an iPhone. I think it'll be useful for various reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:23 am 
Ninja Master

I got a Samsung Galaxy S2 in December and I love it so effing much. It is awesome.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Another +1 yummy for iPhone. I had a 3GS and I just got a 4S a few months ago. I considered switching to Android, but whenever I went to go check them out I felt like they were lacking the ease of accessibility and straightforwardness of the iPhone. My friends who are really techy and like to tinker with things enjoy their Androids, but I'm just not interested in getting in there and messing around with my phone like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I just got an iPhone on the weekend, a 4S. I love, love, love it. It's seriously so well made, everything is so intuitive and just really awesome all around. My recommendation if someone were to ask is just skip the guesswork and get an iPhone.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

iPhone 4. They just don't have the problems that other smart phones have. I hope to get one this summer when I can get an upgrade!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

sunnybear wrote:
iPhone 4. They just don't have the problems that other smart phones have.

Examples?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 pm 
Chard Martyr

What is this "locked" thing that people complain about with iPhones? Maybe I'm not savvy to the myriad of ways to use the iPhone, but I've never understood those complaints. Anyone care to save me from googling layman's terms?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:59 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Basically, with an iphone you get what you get out of the box. Unless you want to jailbreak it, which most people don't. Android allows tinkering and customization. It can be just simple tweaks, or bigger customizations.

I get most people don't care, but sometimes with a phone you're like "gah, I wish it would let me do X", and a lot of times with android you can google it and figure out how to do X.

Plus, widgets!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

And I think it's different in the US, because you have to buy the phone through a specific carrier, and then the phone is 'locked' to be used into that carrier even if they're the same network. E.g. Sprint and Verizon both have CDMA network, but if you want to use a Sprint phone for Verizon, you have to get it 'unlocked.'

I've had Blackberry, iPhone, and an Android. I love my BB, but I fear the company is tanking. The new phone out now is the only release for 2012 I believe (per rumors). The Android is great if you want to experiment, but iPhone is the most straightforward (in my opinion). Plus, the iPhone 4 is leaps and bounds better than past models and you can FACETIME, which I think is the coolest thing in the world. I haven't been impressed with Siri, but I've heard the processor on the 4S is a little better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

This right here is the best argument against Android phones that I've seen:

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

The short version is that since Android OS upgrades are tied to carriers, and the carriers basically don't give a shiitake and want you to buy a new phone every two years, they don't bother releasing OS upgrades for older phones.

In the meantime, it's only since iOS 5 (a couple of months ago) that earlier iPhones have been left behind, and that's mainly because the hardware is too slow.

I would really like to like Android more, but Google doesn't exert the force it needs to on carriers to make sure the phone experience is any good. Yeah, if you have a new phone it'll be great, but six months later, you'll find that Sprint or whoever hasn't bothered to release an OS update and over time you'll be able to do less and less with the phone you liked so much when you got it.

Apple, meanwhile, makes their money from the app store-- they know the phone is a platform and isn't their primary profit center, so its in their best interest to make sure as many phones as possible can still use as many apps as possible.

So, yeah. Get an iPhone. They're pretty satisfying.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

solipsistnation wrote:
This right here is the best argument against Android phones that I've seen:

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

The short version is that since Android OS upgrades are tied to carriers, and the carriers basically don't give a shiitake and want you to buy a new phone every two years, they don't bother releasing OS upgrades for older phones.

My boyfriend is experiencing this issue with his Samsung Infuse and it is driving him insane. It doesn't automatically connect to wifi networks that he has approved (i.e. our own network at home). He has to turn it off and back on to get it to connect. He was told that the next OS update would fix that, but yet the next OS update never comes. He also hates the map feature, as it does a lousy job of locating where the phone is. We went to Portland at the end of December and a couple of days ago his phone thought he was still there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Basically, with an iphone you get what you get out of the box. Unless you want to jailbreak it, which most people don't. Android allows tinkering and customization. It can be just simple tweaks, or bigger customizations.

I get most people don't care, but sometimes with a phone you're like "gah, I wish it would let me do X", and a lot of times with android you can google it and figure out how to do X.

Plus, widgets!!!

Thanks for explaining (even though I'm so new to smart phones that I still don't really get concepts like "jailbreak")!

Jay (with his android) and I have this fake act we do where we pretend to both be smart phone connoisseurs and we have big arguments about whose is better. I'm winning right now because we are addicted to Squarrels, but really we don't know anything about them other than that his screen is bigger and my GPS is more reliable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I ended up getting an iPhone 4 for $50 (though of course it's one of those bullshiitake rebate deals). I'm already a little overwhelmed by everything I can do with it and am trying to not just dive right in to having facebook etc right at my fingertips.

Thanks everyone!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay, j-dub!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Smart choice; you won't be disappointed!

A few of my favorite apps:
Instagram
Snapseed (photo editing)
Pulse News
IMDB
Flixster (movies/rotten tomatoes)
AroundMe
Urbanspoon
Zap 2 It tv listings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm reviving this thread as I'm thinking of getting my first-ever smartphone (probably after new year if I have enough money saved) and would love some advice!

Context: I'm not a social media user, but I like blogs and reading news online. The motivations for getting a smartphone are that I've come round to the whole idea a lot since being given a second-hand Kindle which connects to Wi-Fi and being able to do email etc on the move. I'm also keen on getting some vegan apps and some exercise based ones such as an interval timer, and ideally to be able to combine music with the phone.

Do people still think the iPhone 4S is a good one to go for? I'm not fussed about having the most up-to-date model or anything like that and I'm hoping it might be a bit cheaper than the newer ones.

How much data do you use a month?

For people in the UK: what network is best? I'm currently on O2 with my stupidphone but would be tempted by the Phone Co-op for ethical reasons.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:47 pm 
WRETCHED

If those are your considerations, have you thought about getting something like a mini iPad instead?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

If I went by impulse I'd have an iphone, but I don't want to buy new electronics and second hand iphones are still crazily expensive (even more so, really, since you don't buy a package) so I use my old one until it stops working, when I'll have to get a new one ASAP because otherwise my father will buy a cheap new one - just as bad ethically, but not even a fun component to it...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

linanil wrote:
If those are your considerations, have you thought about getting something like a mini iPad instead?

I hadn't, but that actually might make sense, thanks!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next