| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ugh bathing suits ugh help!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:37 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

sisterlegume wrote:
Modcloth sells a style of one piece swimming suits called the Bathing Beauty that have tons of reviews and apparently flatter all body types. They have solid colors, and patterned ones (gingham! polka dots!). It might be worth checking out. They run in Australian sizes so I think sizing up is recommended (one or two sizes, you can contact their customer service and tell them your measurements and they are helpful in figuring out what size to order).
They are $90.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear

I have this suit and I can vouch for its awesomeness! It's very flattering, but I did have to size up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:47 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thank you for this thread ! I also need a new bathing suit. Love the modcloth and Lands End ones.

Thought I was under pressure to get it by July 1 (Canada Day) for a weekend at a remote cottage, but the update from our Finn hosts is that 'we sauna and swim in the nude'. Now I'm really stressed wondering what to do. I won't be going nude - for sure.

Hey, at least I now have time to order a fab suit mail order.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:02 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think Title Nine has nice suits. More athletic and well constructed. I recently bought a bikini and the bottoms actually kind of hold up my postpartum asparagus rather than let it all sag out. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Shockingly, I bought a nice suit at Walmart that is actually pretty flattering. It reminds me of a Modcloth suit but way cheaper.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

ashley wrote:
Shockingly, I bought a nice suit at Walmart that is actually pretty flattering. It reminds me of a Modcloth suit but way cheaper.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr

I really like that! I need a bathing suit as well because it's pool season and I plan to be in ours a lot this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If you want to avoid Walmart, they should sell Catalina at Sears and/or Penny's.

I'm going to go see what the lessons are like in the morning, find out what weights I'll need and then go to the dreaded mall. Thanks for all the suggestions--they have been very helpful.

I'll try Sears first since they are at the local mall. If that doesn't work, I'll drive to Tyson's and try Macy's and LLBean. I'm not so sure I want to buy online since I have no idea really what will work right now.

My mom doesn't believe I'm going to do this. She said she will help pay for the stuff after the classes. Hah. I don't blame her for being suspicious. But I am going to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:17 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Lavawitch, I just got this shorts swim suit recently. I've never worried much about swimsuits before, but I have a bunch of scars on my legs now, and I know people are going to be nosy and ask about them. Buying something with more cover is mostly about avoiding obnoxious people.

Anyway, I don't know if this brand is available near you, but it's an idea for a style at least. Top and bottom were $20/each.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 4294953385

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:35 am 
Inflexitarian

Target has some awesome retro style ones that are skirt type bottoms.

http://www.target.com/sb/swimwear-cloth ... 46059|null

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Old Navy is my favorite place for swimsuits. I was buying tankinis there when I was 200 lbs and just bought a little stomach-showing two-piece now at 140ish. Cheap and comfy and decent quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Finally went and checked out the water aerobics and talked to the instructor. I got the water weights and got this swimsuit yesterday:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/laur ... slotId%3D1

The one I got is identical except it is bright turquoise with white trim and was on sale for $53. It is insanely flattering and the exact length I need to cover the loose skin. And a halter! I have nice shoulders, so halters focus on that and detract from my loose arm skin. I really love it. Now I wish I could go to the beach!

Even better, it was the first and only suit I tried on. It was just perfect so why look more? I have no idea where people with breasts would put them, but hey, great for me. I didn't think I'd find a one piece that fit on top.

Im going to the first class tomorrow morning. Yay!

As a bonus, I got a lovely outfit to wear back to work: a ful, white peasant style skirt that is truly lovely that was marked down from $115 to $24 and a cute black and white striped tee that goes nicely. That was marked down from $60something to $11.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

If you don't mind sifting through pages of ridiculous suits, victoria secret actually has some cute skirted/shorts 2 pieces with tops sold by bra size. I have one and the fabric is pretty substantial (I actually think it's a little too thick, but might be exactly what you're looking for). It was definitely well under $100 (I don't remember exactly, but probably closer to $50).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:35 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

LW, that is such a cute swimsuit! I'm so happy you found one you love! It's so stressful and unpleasant trying to find swimwear. Hooray for success!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

DarthCupcake wrote:
LW, that is such a cute swimsuit! I'm so happy you found one you love! It's so stressful and unpleasant trying to find swimwear. Hooray for success!

I know! But this wasn't. It was amazing. We all know I love my RL, so I stopped by that rack first before looking at the rest and it was the exact suit I had in mind and would have designed for myself. And the first size I tried fit! It was like all my built up shopping karma picked yesterday to pay off.

I had geared myself up to go to three or more stores and to spend several hours on that ordeal, but it was mission accomplished in under 15 minutes.

It was great today: everything stayed where it was supposed to. I didn't have to adjust anything even once during the 2 hour class.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice and butt kicking. I needed it! I'm sad it took me so long to gear up to actually go, but better late than never.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:21 pm 
Semen Strong

OOoooooh! That is perfect for you and SO cute!

So happy it went well. Don't dwell on how long it took, ONWARD (tm Pcookie)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Supper cute suit! Congrats on being this much closer to starting water aerobics!