| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good pressed or loose powder?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I tried BWC brand and it shows every pore and line on your face. I was using Almay and was happy with but I'd had it a long time. I want one that just sets your makup without accentuating things your don't want to accentuate. I'd prefer store bought but I'd spend more it it lasts a long time.

Post subject: Re: Good pressed or loose powder?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm happy with the powder foundation I got from Morgana Cryptoria. It's geared toward pale skin though, so may not work for you depending on your skin tone. I got the Pale N shade, which is kind of neutral. It doesn't leave my skin feeling dry like some powders, or make it look chalky.

http://www.morganacryptoria.com/Foundation_p_14.html

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

I like the Sephora brand pressed powder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Now that urban Decay are back on the Leaping Bunny list you could try their de-slick mattifying powder. It's expensive but lasts forever, and a bit goes a long way. http://www.urbandecay.com/de-slick-matt ... =15&cgid=4

Otherwise Kett cosmetics make Kett Sett powder in both loose and pressed form. It's pro-stuff, great quality from when I've seen it used, and a bit cheaper than UD, though since I don't own it i have no idea how long it will last. http://www.kettcosmetics.com/index.php?cPath=132

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:25 pm 
Impressive boner

Urban Decay Razor Sharp. The applicator is a pain, but you can unscrew the top and use a brush to apply it instead, so that a little goes a long way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:53 am 
Saggy Butt

I've been using Everyday Minerals loose powder (from everydayminerals.com) for about a year and don't anticipate changing brands. They sell samples very cheaply, which is important--- buying makeup is dicey enough.

Alima Pure products perform similarly, but cost considerably more and have prettier packaging.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:51 am 
Ninja Master

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Now that urban Decay are back on the Leaping Bunny list you could try their de-slick mattifying powder. It's expensive but lasts forever, and a bit goes a long way. http://www.urbandecay.com/de-slick-matt ... =15&cgid=4

Otherwise Kett cosmetics make Kett Sett powder in both loose and pressed form. It's pro-stuff, great quality from when I've seen it used, and a bit cheaper than UD, though since I don't own it i have no idea how long it will last. http://www.kettcosmetics.com/index.php?cPath=132

Ooh I was wondering if Kett was cruelty free. I was gonna try their airbrush foundation.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

According to the Kett makeup artist who just did a demo at my school Kett are CF and vegan, and he was an ex-vegan so while I look down on him from my high tofu horse, I trust him to know what's up. Plus they're on Melisser's list as 100% CF and vegan. Just remembered that part.

The makeup artist said their foundation is pretty comparable in quality to the OCC stuff, I asked. The only difference is Kett have a water based line and a waterproof alcohol based line, whereas OCC only have the water based line. Plus Kett have the liquid metal airbrush eyeshadows.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:07 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

cover fx has pressed powder foundation, loose setting powder, and pressed blotting powder:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:01 am 
Ninja Master

jessilikewhoa wrote:
According to the Kett makeup artist who just did a demo at my school Kett are CF and vegan, and he was an ex-vegan so while I look down on him from my high tofu horse, I trust him to know what's up. Plus they're on Melisser's list as 100% CF and vegan. Just remembered that part.

The makeup artist said their foundation is pretty comparable in quality to the OCC stuff, I asked. The only difference is Kett have a water based line and a waterproof alcohol based line, whereas OCC only have the water based line. Plus Kett have the liquid metal airbrush eyeshadows.

Ace thanks. I will get some of the sample sets next time I'm in PAM.

(ps: high tofu horse! hehe.)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I just got this one and I like it pretty well so far: http://www.drugstore.com/wet-n-wild-nat ... tid=183558

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

also ben nye loose powders are great & inexpensive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I recently got the Tarte Smooth Operator amazonian clay finishing powder and it seems to be working well keeping shine to a minimum. I sweat a lot during the summer and it keeps my face looking fairly matte, but not unnatural. I use it over top of my Cory Cosmetics mineral foundation.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:21 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Bumping this because I'm still on the lookout for a good powder. I have my eyes on the E.L.F. studio powder... what say you, people who have tried it?

I tried the cheapo E.L.F. powder (the "clarifying" one) and the lightest shade is way too orange for my skin tone. Honestly, most tinted powders are a fail for me because they are either too orange or too yellow or too dark on me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:27 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I use the Aveda loose translucent powder, but I understand some people don't use them because of parent company issues. I really, really like it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:06 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I like Zuzu Luxe. The BWC powder is indeed awful.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was using the elf studio powder, the loose translucent one, right? I wasn't a fan, it seemed to make my foundation look uneven and it only kept my skin from getting shiny for an hour or so. I'm using Physician's Formula Mineral Wear pressed powder in translucent light right now and I like it. It's not actually translucent, but it's pale enough, and a light dusting on my tzone to set my foundation hasn't oxidized or shown up orange on my pasty skin, plus it keeps my oil at bay for hours. I haven't broken out either, and usually mineral makeup breaks me out bad.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

the physicians formula pressed powder i got is sparkly, but i didn't know that when i bought it. there was nothing on the package to indicate shimmer (it's one of the multicolored powder palettes). i'm bummed, because i liked it otherwise, but the point of makeup for me was sort of to help me feel less noticeable. being covered in glitter isn't useful for that. i might try one of the other types if they're actually matte. i like the feel of the elf hi-def powder, and it does seem to even things out and doesn't settle into my lines, but something about it alters my skin tone so that my face doesn't match my neck even if i'm not wearing anything tinted under it. people with pink undertones probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm fond of Jurlique Silk Finishing Powder (it doesn't really contain silk) and RMS unpowder. These are both white in the jar but go on transparent. I find that the colored powders sink into my pores and make hideous craters and lines. Both the Jurlique and RMS are silica based but Jurlique also adds a rice ingredient to absorb oil. RMS leaves your skin super soft and gives an airbrush finish, but my skin is so oily that it doesn't last very long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:55 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm hooked on the Guerlain meteorites now. I never used powder before, but thats now pretty much my entire makeup routine. I got my jar for Christmas and it still looks untouched; I think they last a really, really long time, like a year or more of daily use. There are three different shades, but they don't really add color. I got the lightest one and it's really even hard to say what it does except make you look good like magic. I haven't replaced my foundation since I ran out. The meteorites don't cover up the few sun spots I got last year, but they do *something* that makes them not show up unless I specifically look to see if I can see them. The big drawback is they have a bit of a violet fragrance. I actually like it, and it fades quickly, but I'm sure it irritates a lot of people.

I for sure wouldn't have spent that much on translucent powder, but if I ever actually do run out, I will replace it now that I've tried it. Guerlain is privately owned and seem A Ok with testing issues from my research (they supported the EU testing ban).

My Sephora doesn't have them in store, but some might to try.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

acr wrote:
the physicians formula pressed powder i got is sparkly, but i didn't know that when i bought it. there was nothing on the package to indicate shimmer (it's one of the multicolored powder palettes). i'm bummed, because i liked it otherwise, but the point of makeup for me was sort of to help me feel less noticeable. being covered in glitter isn't useful for that.

I was determined to not get one with sparkle, which is hard because in order to get talc free powder (talc breaks me out) they all seem full of mica, which usually sparkles. The one I got has mica, but doesn't sparkle, I have no idea how they did it, but as far as I can tell it's totally matte.

This is the one I have http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-us/ ... 02796.html

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:12 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll try that Physician's Formula one. Some of the other ones look appealing but that's more in my price range, haha.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lavawitch wrote:
I'm hooked on the Guerlain meteorites now. I never used powder before, but thats now pretty much my entire makeup routine. I got my jar for Christmas and it still looks untouched; I think they last a really, really long time, like a year or more of daily use. There are three different shades, but they don't really add color. I got the lightest one and it's really even hard to say what it does except make you look good like magic. I haven't replaced my foundation since I ran out. The meteorites don't cover up the few sun spots I got last year, but they do *something* that makes them not show up unless I specifically look to see if I can see them. The big drawback is they have a bit of a violet fragrance. I actually like it, and it fades quickly, but I'm sure it irritates a lot of people.

I for sure wouldn't have spent that much on translucent powder, but if I ever actually do run out, I will replace it now that I've tried it. Guerlain is privately owned and seem A Ok with testing issues from my research (they supported the EU testing ban).

My Sephora doesn't have them in store, but some might to try.

I looked for this on Sephora's site, and they show two different ones - Meteorites Powder for the Face (a bunch of loose "pearls") and Meteorites Compact Powder (looks like a traditional compact). Which is the one you use? I'm intrigued by your description!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

http://www.sephora.com/meteorites-powde ... ce-P266308

I have teint rose 01. It's so much fun to use; the little jar is adorable and I love the violet fragrance. I'm actually amazed that I'm not allergic or sensitive to it.

$58 is a lot, but I don't think I'll be running out even by next Christmas, which is good because the last thing I need is a new expensive makeup addiction. Guerlain is my aunt's weakness; I've already got mine!

I'd like a better brush though. I've been using an Eco tools blush brush. Something bigger and softer might work better. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Real Techniques brushes from Ulta are pretty nice, and not super expensive. If you want to splurge I hear good stuff about the Teddy Bear Hair brushes from Too Faced, plus they're pretty.

twitter @jessilikewhoa