| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: removing makeup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

This may sound stupid. I have never worn makeup, but bought some recently. My Everyday Minerals package arrived today! I was going to start playing with it, but then realized I'm not sure how to remove it. I was just thinking some soap, like Dr.Bronner's. But after googling I am completely lost. Makeup removers, eye makeup removers, cleansers, toners, moisturizers. Is all this stuff really necessary? I'd like to know, what do you use?

Post subject: Re: removing makeup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I never use a special makeup remover. Sometimes I take off my eye makeup with plain old moisturizer on a cotton ball, but most of the time I just wash it off when I wash my face. Unless you're wearing waterproof mascara it shouldn't be a problem.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

blisslikethis wrote:
This may sound stupid. I have never worn makeup, but bought some recently. My Everyday Minerals package arrived today! I was going to start playing with it, but then realized I'm not sure how to remove it. I was just thinking some soap, like Dr.Bronner's. But after googling I am completely lost. Makeup removers, eye makeup removers, cleansers, toners, moisturizers. Is all this stuff really necessary? I'd like to know, what do you use?

I use make up remover especially for mascara and lip liner. I like the yes to carrots make up remover. I used it even before I was veg.

For the most part none of that is necessary. My regular daily face care involves nothing at all-just steam from the shower. I am lucky to have 'good skin' so I don't wear foundation every day. When I am going out I put on some moisturizer then my "make up"-powder, mascara, lip liner and eyebrow stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:40 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I use q-tips and lotion/moisturizer to remove eye makeup, then just was my face (with Dr. Bronner's) for the remaining makeup.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:01 pm 
Dildo Queen

i have makeup remover but it's not to wash my eyes off at night. i wash my face in the shower and that's about it. use makeup remover to adjust the smudges in the morning and sometimes i have to fix my cat-eye liner so it's really handy for that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I use eyemakeup remover for my eyes and just wash my face with a cleanser, but I've heard that you're supposed to either
A) remove your face makeup with a special makeup remover/moisturizer and then cleanse or
B) cleanse twice
because just one coat of cleanser (like I do) just gets the makeup off and it doesn't really clean your skin. So you need a second coat. But I'm really lazy and I was on accutane so I'm immune to everything.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have always found that either a bit of olive oil or moisturizer on a cotton pad takes off make up super well. Then I always wash with a Val's veggie bar and then rinse with a moist facecloth. magic! The thing I like about the moisturizer as an eye make up remover is it isn't too oily and it doesn't dry your eyes out either.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have been using The Green Beaver makeup remover. It's really good with eyeliner and mascara, and is gentle enough that I don't notice if I get it in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

Am I wrong or can mineral makeup just be left on? I almost never wash makeup off, save for the times when I'm in a show and it's really heavy.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:49 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

baby face from lush is good. i've been using that for years. a bar lasts a long time too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:48 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

bobdylan wrote:
baby face from lush is good. i've been using that for years. a bar lasts a long time too.

It's being discontinued unfortunately but apparently 9-5 is excellent and it's vegan!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I use ELF facial wipes and then wash my face with a cleanser. Sometimes I will take a cotton ball with Lush's 9-5 on my eyelids to remove super caked on mascara!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just usually make up a bottle of 25% castor oil/75% olive oil that I keep in my medicine cabinet, then I massage about a dime size amount on my face and remove it all with cottons pads, and that's it for nighttime cleansing. It's kind of wasteful in terms of the cotton pads, but I used to use soft washcloths but can never wash them all often enough to not get gross.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:40 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Do you guys get the Simple brand over there? Their cleansing facial wipes are the only thing that I've found removes my waterproof mascara & they're really gentle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:46 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Veglicious wrote:
bobdylan wrote:

It's being discontinued unfortunately but apparently 9-5 is excellent and it's vegan!

I use MAC and Urban Decay products on my eyes, and 9-5 won't even budge my make-up off of my face. I was bummed. Not sure what I'll use when I run out of baby face.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:53 pm 
Chip Strong

I usually use just my cleanser but if I have a ton of dark eye makeup I find that jojoba oil on a cotton pad really helps loosen it up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:07 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Veglicious wrote:
bobdylan wrote:

whaaat?! there's a bar up in my bathroom that i am sure i bought recently. or maybe i've had it for a while and it does really last a long time. i don't know

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

bobdylan wrote:
whaaat?! there's a bar up in my bathroom that i am sure i bought recently. or maybe i've had it for a while and it does really last a long time. i don't know

It's only recently been discontinued. Stores still sell it until the factories run out of ingredients to make it, which can take awhile sometimes.

I like 9-5 most of the time, but it doesn't easily get rid of heavy eye make up. I've been meaning to try regular olive oil for awhile. The Simple wipes sound good for when I'm too tired/drunk for using water and face cloths though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:00 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

dakini wrote:

I use MAC and Urban Decay products on my eyes, and 9-5 won't even budge my make-up off of my face. I was bummed.

I use it after using a wipe to get the last bit of mascara off...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

chatter710 wrote:
Am I wrong or can mineral makeup just be left on? I almost never wash makeup off, save for the times when I'm in a show and it's really heavy.

I heard this. I don't use mineral make up so I can't say what happens but I would think it would rub off on your pillow case.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Going to bed with any makeup on- including the mineral stuff- makes my skin break out.

And I never understood the using a separate makeup remover and cleanser thing. A Clinique lady once said to me, "Washing your face without taking your makeup off is like showering with your clothes on!" and I thought, wouldn't it be like showering with dirt on? Isn't the point of a cleanser to remove stuff from your face, including makeup? I don't know, but I assumed she was trying to sell me more things. I use eye makeup remover, but I think my cleanser works fine on my face.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:16 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I use a toner at night and that's about it, I don't care if I sleep with mascara on or anything. If i'm not taking a shower in the morning, when I wake up i'll take a q-tip and contact solution and remove any racoon eye and black crusties.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Puma wrote:
chatter710 wrote:

I heard this. I don't use mineral make up so I can't say what happens but I would think it would rub off on your pillow case.

I only wash my face in the shower (with water) and haven't noticed any residue on my pillow. My foundation is nothing but pigment, and if anything zinc oxide is antibacterial. On the rare occasion that I'm wearing lots of dark eye make up that needs to come off, I use jojoba oil followed by a cleanser.