| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood polish? Also question about cleaning off mould.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:55 am 
Chip Strong

I had been wondering for a while what vegan options there are for polishing wood, as the polish we had in my house growing up contained beeswax. But I haven't looked into this much because I am lazy (UKIP's Godfrey Bloom would call me a slut!).

Now I have an old wooden box- it's a toybox which looks a bit like a small pirate chest- which I have noticed has a thin dusting of mould on the outside. It hasn't got wet, the building isn't particularly damp (though the weather is getting colder and if I leave the window closed quite a bit of condensation gathers on it) so I'm not sure where the mould has come from. I'm wondering how to clean the mould off. Usually I would use vinegar but that seems like a bad idea with wood. Or would it be ok?
For some reason I have this idea that I could clean the wood with polish- do you think that would work? In which case I'd have to find a beeswax-free polish. Or could I maybe clean it with oil (olive oil or vegetable oil of some sort)?

And yes, I am worried about where the mould has come from in the first place. Not sure what to do except continue to have the window open as often as possible. And maybe stop drying my clothes on the drying rack, but use the tumble dryer all the time? That'd be rather expensive.

Post subject: Re: Wood polish? Also question about cleaning off mould.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:09 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I do not know about the mold....However Method has wood polishing stuff for the floor and other wood services that is vegan!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wouldn't use vinegar either. This article suggests using baking soda for cleaning mould from wood.
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Mold-and-Mildew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Don't use a food-oil, those can actually cause mold, too. Pure mineral oil or walnut oil is your best bet.

I wouldn't worry about not hanging your clothes/the window, etc... that won't make much of a difference. Your house just probably doesn't have very breathable walls, it's not a big deal though. Clean the mold off, honestly I'd just get a stiff-bristled brush and brush it off without applying anything, but yeah sure dusting some baking soda on while you do that sounds cool too. Then just apply the mineral oil once every other week like three or four times and it should be nice and resistant to mold from the treatment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:46 pm 
Chip Strong

That sounds very helpful; thanks everyone.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]