| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gifts You Are Giving
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:55 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am getting my mom some fossil jewelry. Not the brand, but jewelry made out of actual fossils.
I am painting beer glasses with pictures of their favorite pets (my mom loves her tiny dog, my dad is obsessed with one of the cats) for both of my parents. I think i will also get my dad the Congress poster from xkcd.
My boyfriend is getting a nerdy Zelda key hook and a cute Zelda card. "You fill my heart container."
I am a little stumped on what to get my brother... He likes his college and sports. I was thinking of doing a big, artsy painting of the school's logo. His house is a bit bare. Maybe some homemade marinades? He cooks tofu and tempeh so it would be nice to give him a big jar of pre-made marinade. I am just worried it would go bad.
I also need gifts for my cousins and my uncle. I am thinking of making some home-infused vodka in a pretty bottle for my cousins. Maybe i will give them a cookie of the month club membership, made by me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:20 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I need this thread just to keep track of my gifts and to make sure I've gotten shiitake for everyone.

Mom - 2 scarves, 2 boxing tee shirts, a boxing hoodie, and I want to get her some earrings or a necklace

Brother - dress shirt, a book on survival, and a mini survival kit

Sister in law - white throw blanket, The Great Gatsby soundtrack

Dad - corksicle thing (no filter) that you can put in your drink to make it insta-cool, will get beers to go with

Little sister and her sister - a bracelet making kit and a head band making kit and a book about female inventors that looked cool

White Elephant gift for family swap is going to be a slowcooker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

NatureBoy is getting a bamboo cutting board so that we can chop (and cook!) together.
Mom is getting a trip to the spa from sister and me.
Dad is getting a pairing knife+cover for India.
Sister says she doesn't want anything (I'm still thinking).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:34 pm 
Hip Goiter

I am usually good at gifts but I am sucking this year! I need to get something extra special for my mom because her sister is being a bisque and I feel really bad. I have no ideas though! She gets manicures and massages already, and doesn't want any 'things', so she said. Actually the only thing she has said she's wanted in the past year is dinner at Alinea, and well that's not in the cards anytime soon, haha. Argh.

I also need something amazing for a friend of mine who has had a rough year. I am just stuck!

Probably cool concert tickets for my brother. That's all I got.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have no idea what I'm getting anyone! Well, I will probably get my mom some earrings. But I also need gifts for my dad, brother and girlfriend.

My dad likes medieval history, playing music, cocktails and wine (made him three varieties of bitters last year) listening to music (might get him a CD if I can think of something I think he would like) and meditating.
My brother likes drinking, also medieval history, his dog and is moving out of my parents' place into a new apartment this week...maybe some sort of houseware thing.
My girlfriend likes tea (but has lots, and lots of tea accessories), bow ties and suspenders, brussels sprouts and red pandas.

I need to spend like as close to zero money as possible. Help me PPK!

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page_bow ... nValueIds=
Is a denim bow tie stupid? I like the stripe.

Wait, are pre-tied bow ties dumb? I don't know anything. Who knows stuff about this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Dammit, I told myself I wasn't going to spend more than $25 on anyone but I just saw this bow tie (made here in Portland!) and I want to get it for my girlfriend so bad!
http://www.bowyerandfletcher.com/products/makino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i want to make gifts for a few people....i always worry about this. :/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm so stuck this year. I've done all the easy gifts and am stumped on everyone else.

husband: new winter jacket he needs, dr. j socks, and a tie bar (he lost the last one I got him)
my dog: new food puzzle toy, kong wubba
sister-in-law: goofy channing tatum earrings from etsy (she loves him) and a cool pair of earrings she'd actually wear (also from etsy)
parents' pets (2 dogs, 2 cats): kong wubba, food puzzle toy, cat spring-y toys

everyone else - who knows!
I've got to figure out my dad, mom, brother-in-law, mother-in-law, cousin and her family (husband + 2 kids), aunt and uncle, godparents, and a mother-in-law-type family friend.

I love buying gifts when I know I've come up with something good, but this year is just ugh cause I have no idea what people will enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I got my husband the Battlestar Galactica board game (our xmas day is going to be awesome), a ring with a really beautiful Celtic weave, a scalp-massaging thing (he is obsessed with scalp massages and I don't want to give them), a good quality bread knife, and this t-shirt: Image

I got my mum some audiobooks for her walks, really nice olive oil/vinegar sets, and a driftwood cutting board (nicer than it sounds). My dad gets a gift certificate for his model railway needs. I don't know what to get my sisters but I think I'll get my sister-in-law and her husband the newest Dixit.

Everyone gets cider.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:12 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I bought my mom several bars of Spanish black soap she loves. We went to Spain a couple years ago and spent basically the whole trip looking for it, unsuccessfully.

Turns out Amazon sells it. Go figure.

That's all I've got so far. Damn it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:31 pm 
Semen Strong

ashley wrote:
I bought my mom several bars of Spanish black soap she loves. We went to Spain a couple years ago and spent basically the whole trip looking for it, unsuccessfully.

Turns out Amazon sells it. Go figure. .

Isn't it ironic?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

strawberryrock wrote:
I have no idea what I'm getting anyone! Well, I will probably get my mom some earrings. But I also need gifts for my dad, brother and girlfriend.

My dad likes medieval history, playing music, cocktails and wine (made him three varieties of bitters last year) listening to music (might get him a CD if I can think of something I think he would like) and meditating.
My brother likes drinking, also medieval history, his dog and is moving out of my parents' place into a new apartment this week...maybe some sort of houseware thing.
My girlfriend likes tea (but has lots, and lots of tea accessories), bow ties and suspenders, brussels sprouts and red pandas.

I need to spend like as close to zero money as possible. Help me PPK!

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page_bow ... nValueIds=

Wait, are pre-tied bow ties dumb? I don't know anything. Who knows stuff about this?

I just got some cute pet bowls at a thrift store for fifty cents a peice. You could probably find some stuffed animals to give as dog toys, too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:25 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I got T. a couple shirts, a zip-up hoodie, a cool pint glass with a dinosaur etched onto it, a subscription to the Walrus magazine and two records. Plus some beers, a moleskin planner and some pickled onion crisps from the UK shop to fill his stocking.

My brother I got a polo shirt and a Great Gatsby shirt I got at the Strand in NYC.

My sister-in-law I got a pair of gloves, some handmade earrings, a copy of my zine, a pint glass that says "cook and eat well" on it, a jar of homemade jam and a jar of homemade apple butter.

Secret santa I got a driftwood serving platter (twins, vijita, sort of!) and a fox mug where the tail is the handle.

I LOVE gifting things! And I love the fact that I didn't have to set foot in a mall once (which is just about my least favourite thing to do ever).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:23 pm 

awesome discovery I made while shopping for my cousin's kids: the #1 ladies' detective agency series includes kids' books! And they're right at the correct age/reading level for my cousin's daughter.

I also found my brother-in-law's amazon wishlist, so he's sorted now too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:34 am 
Saggy Butt

My final gift arrived yesterday damaged so I had to make a complaint an request a replacement, the rest of the presents are:

Mum: New mobile phone, expensive chocolate
Dad: Aftershave, book on weird UK, Blackadder box set, After earth DVD, chocolates
Sister: Perfume, chocolate, photo album with pictures of her new daughter in, The night circus by Erin Morgernstern, 6 pack of Douwe Egberts hazelnut coffee
Potential brother in law to be: £50 Game voucher (he is buying himself a PS4), assorted chocolate bars, first 2 books in Stephen kings Dark Tower series, batman mug with wings for handles (this is what arrived yesterday damaged)
Niece: Limited edition Santa Claus Mickey Mouse (one of two thousand made), Christmas mickey mouse bib, my first Christmas mickey mouse tree decoration, Disney children's silver cutlery and a floor jungle gym thing
Friend: Gingerbread house
Friends son: The 2 snowman books with CDs

π

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

you guys are pros, maybe you can help me?:
I am having a TERRIBLE time trying to find gifts for my kid siblings, they're both 8 years old, my sister is in to art and horses and science, my brother is in to star wars, running around screaming, and as he said "leggo guys" (I asked my dad what these were and he said "oh, y'know leggo guys" VERY HELPFUL)

they're both really sweet kids, hella smart, and 100% okay with weird gifts, which I tend towards (things I've gotten them in the past that they've liked: farm animal "adoption", stuffed animal yetti, fake glasses + water-squirting bow ties, etc) but they're at an age where I don't think I can start giving them books, but I can't think of things that aren't "little kid stuff" which they are both very much against since they insist adamantly that they aren't "little kids"

heellllppp

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I love giving gifts!

I got my favorite aunt and uncle a bottle of their favorite fancy scotch; my father a quick dry prana shirt; my mother a pasta maker and ravioli press; my brother a grand canyon river rafting guide and a hat I knit; and my boyfriend darn tough socks (they make a vegan sock! I was excited!), a set of melamine mixing bowls, slippers, and patagonia long underwear bottoms.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 am 

booberthefraggle wrote:
but they're at an age where I don't think I can start giving them books

You can totally give them books. My cousin's kids are 5 and just about 7 and I've been getting them books for ages (either for their parents to read to them, or, now, for them to read on their own). When I was browsing for books for the kids in my life, there were a million books on horses for kids - it might be cool to find one that's a little more science-y than "wow, horses are pretty" for your sister.

Also, science project kits - the ones that grow crystals or rock candy, photosensitive paper kits (hey, art and science in one!), a big book of experiments and projects - those are pretty awesome.

I think there are star wars lego kits you can buy, but they probably cost way more than is reasonable to spend on an 8 year old's christmas gift.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:30 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm contributing a zombie blaster Nerf gun to the while elephant exchange at work. People are either going to love me or hate me, depending on who ends up getting it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:48 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

strawberryrock wrote:

HI MY NAME'S MARS AND I KNOW ABOUT THIS STUFF.

Denim bow tie: Cute on someone who's style is kinda modern and sassy; really really not cute for someone who considers themselves more dapper and gentlemanly.

Pre-tied Bow ties: Always dumb. NEVER NO PLEASE NO!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:11 am 
Ninja Master

I am broke this year so I'm not spending that much.

Mum asked for an electric leg shaver thing so I've got her that.
Dad is getting a dvd and kindle vouchers
Bro & sister in law are getting vouchers and i'm making them a bunch of stuff to go in a hamper
Workmates are getting a couple of gifty things and then homemade cookies and sweets.
My friends and I decided not to do presents as we're all broke. Except one who'd already bought and made pouty faces about not getting a present, so I've got her some sugarpill eyeshadow and some bath stuff.

I won't buy Jazzy anything because she can't have cat treats and she never plays with toys we buy her, she just sniffs them and casts them aside. She'd rather play with a nice leaf or something. She's generally happy sitting in any empty boxes or ripping up any wrapping paper from our gifts!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I also got this for my mom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:23 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm majorly broke and really only buy gifts for my nieces and nephews (6 of them! But I know what they're all getting.), and just bake things for everyone else. I'm kinda stumped over my gift for T, though. He's one of these 'don't buy me anything, I don't need anything' people, but of course I'm going to get him something. I have made a decision about it, but I haven't actually bought anything for it yet because I can't really decide if it's genius or if it will fall flat and so maybe I should think of something else.

So...it turns out that he likes hot tea? I didn't think he did because he doesn't drink coffee (not that that is an actual reason) and he doesn't own a kettle and I've never seen him actually drink hot tea. But he was telling me about how he used to have this sleepytime tea that he likes and that yes, he does in fact like hot tea. Anyway, so I thought I would get him an electric kettle and some teas that do things. You know, like the sleepytime one and a stress relief one and probably a third. We have a huge selection of teas at the HFS I work at, and he's kind of a natural supplement junkie who refuses to take pharmaceuticals for his various body woes. I just don't know if he'd actually use the kettle and drink the tea. It might turn out that I just use it at his house, and then I'll feel bad. But...he might use it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:38 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

allularpunk wrote:
I'm majorly broke and really only buy gifts for my nieces and nephews (6 of them! But I know what they're all getting.), and just bake things for everyone else. I'm kinda stumped over my gift for T, though. He's one of these 'don't buy me anything, I don't need anything' people, but of course I'm going to get him something. I have made a decision about it, but I haven't actually bought anything for it yet because I can't really decide if it's genius or if it will fall flat and so maybe I should think of something else.

So...it turns out that he likes hot tea? I didn't think he did because he doesn't drink coffee (not that that is an actual reason) and he doesn't own a kettle and I've never seen him actually drink hot tea. But he was telling me about how he used to have this sleepytime tea that he likes and that yes, he does in fact like hot tea. Anyway, so I thought I would get him an electric kettle and some teas that do things. You know, like the sleepytime one and a stress relief one and probably a third. We have a huge selection of teas at the HFS I work at, and he's kind of a natural supplement junkie who refuses to take pharmaceuticals for his various body woes. I just don't know if he'd actually use the kettle and drink the tea. It might turn out that I just use it at his house, and then I'll feel bad. But...he might use it.

One of Mr Moon's first Christmas presents to me was an electric kettle. Like a $5 cheapo one. And I was super stoked as I really needed one. So I think this is an excellent gift, especially if you get him a nicer than $5 kettle!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think I might be making food gifts for all my in laws this year. Last year I did vanilla extract, salsa, and jam so I don't want to do repeats. Also, they're pretty unadventurous cooks/bakers so I feel like chutneys or cookie-in-a-jar mixes would go unused. Oh, also they're all either non-drinkers or active/recovering alcoholics so no booze. Do you guys have any ideas? I know there are lots of cool things I could make but I'm drawing a blank right now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next