| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gifts You Are Giving
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That's the exact reason I got Vegan Food Gifts last year! I made chocolate bark, a couple different kinds of (already baked) cookies, spiced nuts, and a mocha mix that you just add hot water to. You could do a muffin mix, basic soup mix, infused olive oil or vinegar, spice mix shakers, pickles, chocolate sauce, some type of flavored syrup for coffee, granola… Those are the least adventurous things I could think of.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Those are all great ideas, AP! Thanks so much!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I was thinking about doing gift sets of homemade jam and homemade nut butter of some sort (probably peanut because nuts are $$$), but I've never canned before and I don't know if I'm getting in over my head.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:43 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ashley, it's not that hard! I would recommend getting the Ball Blue Book if it's your first canning adventure. I taught myself to can a few years ago and I was surprised at how easy it really is, and now it's all old hat! Bonus if you have a dishwasher because you can sterilize your jars and lids in there and they'll keep hot until you're ready to fill and seal them.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:29 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

allularpunk wrote:
ashley, it's not that hard! I would recommend getting the Ball Blue Book if it's your first canning adventure. I taught myself to can a few years ago and I was surprised at how easy it really is, and now it's all old hat! Bonus if you have a dishwasher because you can sterilize your jars and lids in there and they'll keep hot until you're ready to fill and seal them.

I totally read that as Blue Ball Book...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've had big success with my picky family giving truffles (the chocolate kind), homemade peanut/hazelnut/almond butter cups, bark with nuts or crushed candy canes added, canned pear butter + homemade bread (seconding the ball blue book if you don't want to give people botulism - some of the canning advice on the internet is terrifyingly bad), and candied citrus peel (I don't think anyone loves to eat a ton of it, but it's impressive and pretty and a change from all the chocolate).

Also, home pickled okra is a great thing to can if your folks would be into that. And AP's idea for granola is brilliant - homemade is so good and cheap, but most people don't make it.

I finally came up with a good gift idea for my dad too - I got him carcassonne since it's recommended for people who like settlers of catan (which he does).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:53 pm 

allularpunk wrote:

Thanks, I'll check that book out!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wallace22 wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

I totally read that as Blue Ball Book...

Me too!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:49 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

did not know how well last minute candy making/baking could be.....doing more tomorrow! people <3 it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:57 am 
Dead by dawn

allularpunk wrote:
I'm majorly broke and really only buy gifts for my nieces and nephews (6 of them! But I know what they're all getting.), and just bake things for everyone else. I'm kinda stumped over my gift for T, though. He's one of these 'don't buy me anything, I don't need anything' people, but of course I'm going to get him something. I have made a decision about it, but I haven't actually bought anything for it yet because I can't really decide if it's genius or if it will fall flat and so maybe I should think of something else.

So...it turns out that he likes hot tea? I didn't think he did because he doesn't drink coffee (not that that is an actual reason) and he doesn't own a kettle and I've never seen him actually drink hot tea. But he was telling me about how he used to have this sleepytime tea that he likes and that yes, he does in fact like hot tea. Anyway, so I thought I would get him an electric kettle and some teas that do things. You know, like the sleepytime one and a stress relief one and probably a third. We have a huge selection of teas at the HFS I work at, and he's kind of a natural supplement junkie who refuses to take pharmaceuticals for his various body woes. I just don't know if he'd actually use the kettle and drink the tea. It might turn out that I just use it at his house, and then I'll feel bad. But...he might use it.

Ugh, biker boy is sorta like T... "I don't need anything," "You don't need to buy me anything..." Add to that, his two hobbies are expensive (cycling, scuba) and he knows 100x more about either of them than I do. Add to that, I am out of a job and even when I had one, he made almost twice what I do and can afford most-of-whatever he wants. He likes scotch, but splurged on an expensive bottle when he sold his house, and we got two more nice bottles when we had our cocktail party, so there are three bottles in the house that are old enough to vote and that's a big No. I can't get him clothes because he has this weird thing where if he gets a new tshirt, a tshirt has to go (I've asked him how he's so sure that he has the optimum number of tshirts... maybe he's really at n-1 and should just keep all of his tshirts next time he gets a new one... he's acknowledged that it's arbitrary.) I was SO hoping that your second paragraph would be my solution! I think it's a great idea for T, but sadly not for bb. I'm utterly stumped besides baking him a pie because that's the only thing he will own up to wanting.

My b-i-l is getting a book he wants, my sister is getting a reflective running singlet, and I'm not sure what to get for my mom. She wants 3/4 sleeve tshirts and slippers, so I'll probably look for those. I don't usually get Amos Christmas presents because my mom does, and he really doesn't need more toys!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:38 pm 
Hip Goiter

Instead of actually doing my shopping, I've been compiling a crazy gift guide. If any of you still need ideas, lookie here! Now that I'm ready to shop I'm going to use it too, hahah.

EPIC GIFT GUIDE

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:02 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Best gift guide ever. Where were you 15 days ago when I did all my impulse gift buying in one day?!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:39 pm 
Hip Goiter

Oh no well you can use it for next year? Easter?

I read that as the Blue Ball Book too hahahah and now I want one to give to all manner of folks.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:42 pm 
Semen Strong

That is an epic gift guide! Make your own ukulele is awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:55 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ah-mazing gift guide, rjm! I sort of love that wine decanter, not in my budget though. BUT. It got me perusing Uncommon Goods and I found some bike chainring cufflinks that are a definite maybe (not a need, to be sure, but he's got a couple of shirts with French cuffs and his only pair of cufflinks are pretty generic.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 am 

I took the lazy route and bought spice gift sets for people. There was a good deal on livingsocial and I didn't want to stress about gifts anymore. I might bake cookies for a few co-workers, and then I'm done.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:35 am 
Nailed to the V

Everyone we want to give a gift to this year needs nothing. So aside from a nearly brand new baby who is going to get lots of over-priced wonderful outfits we are giving boxes of Booja Booja chocs and a donation in their name to a charity they have a connection with ... often a charity for a disease a family member of theirs has died from ... also on all our 'come round for a drink' xmas invites we will be taking bottles of Italian fizz ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got some books for my parents. Dad gets History of United States in 101 Objects, mom gets Best Science and Nature Writing. I also got my uncle the Vegan Stoner Cookbook. I really hope he likes it. He asked me for some help with cooking new things but he doesn't want to spend a lot of time doing it. My cousin gets some Vera Bradley placemats and napkins and a casserole dish with her new married name on it. It's kinda a combo wedding/xmas gift since i have been really bad at doing things lately.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 pm 
Hip Goiter

I found the best prints EVER! I bought the below one for my bff, plus some of the amazing stickers. The seller sent the goods really fast too.

How cute is this!

Store

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Those are so cute! For some reason i decided i really want the sticker with Boba Fett and Wicket E Warrick eating ice cream. I mean, why wouldn't the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy stop on a forest moon to eat frozen treats with Ewoks?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

RandiJM wrote:
Instead of actually doing my shopping, I've been compiling a crazy gift guide. If any of you still need ideas, lookie here! Now that I'm ready to shop I'm going to use it too, hahah.

EPIC GIFT GUIDE

I laughed when I saw the pizza stone, it's what my boyfriend wanted to give to me but I said I'd buy one myself.

And I always wanted the travel map. I think I just might need to buy it... and then never use it because I never go anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:13 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made chocolate bars for most of my family and my boyfriend's family, ginger-marzipan (one version with only dark chocolate, one with rice milk chocolate), macadamia nut & cashew-curry.

My father gets a book on immigration from a personal pov, a Jewish-Russian-German fiction author who moved to Germany as a child and talks about her thoughts and experiences. I loved the book so much, especially the way she manages to make the comparison between antisemitism then and islamophobia now (she basically says it's the same). And he also gets a special edition of the Haim "days are gone" album.

My mother gets Vegan A La mode and a package of American/Asian brown sugar & a "Ginger" gift (just crystalized ginger, asian ginger sweets, ginger beer, one of the self-made ginger-marzipan chocolate bars).

My brother gets the Hunger Games trilogy - he's 29, by the way. I'm very happy he liked the movies so much he wanted to know what happens next in the books.

His girlfriend gets chocolate, a candle & self-made body scrub.

The only friend of mine that gets a christmas present (... my only friend? Kind of scary thought) gets a Haim concert ticket.

My boyfriend was supposed to get a Pep Guardiola painting which he asked for me. He didn't like my first version (!!) and I won't be able to finish it in time. He gets a book, an Ideal DVD boxset (which he probably won't like :/ ), a carton of lemonade cans (we sometimes get them even though they're a bit expensive and unhealthy because they are soooo lemon-y) & vegan soap, shampoo, bodywash, deoderant because I often end up buying this stuff because he's too cheap for the vegan stuff and it stinks so much... so... basically a present for myself, I guess. But he likes the ones I buy, so...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:01 pm 
Hip Goiter

It sucks when you put a lot of effort and thought into your gifts and then someone gives you like the least appropriate thing for you and shows that they didn't think about what you would want at all! I wish people took me seriously when I said hey let's not buy gifts. I hope you all get nice things!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:35 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i am book marking the pony art site for a bday gift for my friend next month!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I cut way back on gift giving this year, and only bought for my mom and my pets. (omg, my pets are getting so much stuff. It's ridiculous.) I sponsored a goat for my mom through farm sanctuary (it's a gift that makes me happy too, because goats are awesome!) and I got her a shirt that says something like "I already had a brain, a heart, and courage, so the wizard gave me a new hip," because she's recovering from hip replacement surgery. It was so much nicer not having to scramble around, trying to find gifts for multiple people and worrying about my finances.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next