| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:32 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Alaina wrote:
I have Roseacea and I'm also in the 30's and should take better care of my skin group. But I just don't know how.

Same here. Same dissatisfaction with the dermatologist.
My rosacea is pretty terrible, especially in the winter [flushing, nerve pain and papules/pustules]. My derm kept wanting to put me on accutane [what the fizzle, a million ways] and when he insisted i left. Now if I get a really terrible bout of perioral dermatitis i go to the clinic and get an antibiotic prescription [about once a year] and i have topical antibiotic [metrogel plus azulene] i use daily in the winter.

In the summer I wash with a homemade face wash [dilute dr bronners plus glycerin], and found a decent SPF 50 that doesn't make me break out [a locally made brand called Adcos]. I have a prescription moisturizer called vegelip but i only use it on my eyes and my chin wattle. when the weather gets really cold i switch to oil cleansing once a day [no need for moisturizer] and it makes my skin tolerable.
My derm also told me to stop using everything on my skin, even cream, even SPF [and i've already had melanoma in several places, so i don't care what he said] and when i did that it all got even worse. So i feel ya.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Alaina wrote:
I have Roseacea and I'm also in the 30's and should take better care of my skin group. But I just don't know how. All I've figured out is that anything for acne triggers breakouts, as does anything with petrochemicals. I know that sounds kind of crazy, but I used every product the dermatologist recommended, and using nothing worked better. So I stopped going. I started using petrochemical free (or as close as possible as I can get) and that's better. I currently put a tiny bit of unscented Avalon Organics moisturizer on my face, it's actually the hand and body one, and that works ok, but I have to skip a day once a week. I also haven't found anything I can put on at night without breaking out. I alternate the Avalon organics with a Deep Sea Moisturizer I think it's by Dead Sea Salt, or something like that I forgot the name. I really don't know what to use. I'd like something with an SPF too cause I currently don't wear an SPF. I used to wear Neutrogenia SPF, which amazingly didn't make me break out, but I also only ever wore it to the beach, and was in the water 30 min after putting it on. So I don't know if it was on long enough.

have you ever used derma e? they have products for sensitive skin/redness that have no fragrance
http://www.dermae.com/fc_portals/cgi-bi ... 1653021425

avene has many products for redness and sensitive skin, just look out for lanolin in some items
http://www.aveneusa.com/about-your-skin ... s-rosacea/

and mychelle http://www.mychelle.com/skin-care/rosacea#.UVwnEleHeSo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:22 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

torque wrote:
Alaina wrote:
I have Roseacea and I'm also in the 30's and should take better care of my skin group. But I just don't know how.

Same here. Same dissatisfaction with the dermatologist.
My rosacea is pretty terrible, especially in the winter [flushing, nerve pain and papules/pustules].

I don't have nerve pain, but I have the flushing and papules / postules. That's what those are called? Their like little sacs of pus that pop just from lightly touching them, especially in the fold right where your nose meets your cheek, and on my chin. I also get these like white hard things just under my skin, kind of like black heads, but not really, on my cheeks. I have no idea what they are. I've also started noticing little veins, like the beginnings of the veins you get when Rosacea is advanced.

When I was first diagnosed the antibiotics and the creams worked, not totally but it worked. I got off the antibiotics and was on a regiment of like 4 different creams, one was Finacea which I loved. They had given me metrogel at some point too but apparently my skin hates it. Now it's just Euryithromycin (most likely spelt wrong) which doesn't seem to do much. The dermatologist also recommended I use Cerave, and gave me a coupon, so I just bought it at the drug store, and it was the worst thing I ever put on my skin. I had so many little kitten things on my face after one night, more then I ever had without putting anything on my face.

Thanks skarky. I'm gonna take a look see and see if I can find one that has SPF. I need some kind of sunscreen and something to alternate with the Avalon Organics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:36 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

maybe try a zinc only based sunscreen? zinc is soothing where titanium dioxide can irritate skin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

well the nice lady at the mychelle online chat is sending me free samples of SPF. I think they have titanium dioxide though. I guess I'll see what happens. At least I didn't have to spend $30 on sunscreen only to find out I can't wear it! I want to try to get some free samples from the other ones too. Even with things that don't bother my skin, if I don't alternate with them with another brand, it will eventually bother my skin. So I always have two different brands for everything. Stupid finicky skin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone - this is my first posting and i usually try and do as many helpful posts as possible in any forum before I flag up what my partner and I are doing, but since so many people on this thread are asking the question, I thought I'd let you all know - hope thats ok?.....

My partner Marianne is a qualified beautician and aromatherapist and I am helping her to get her vegan skincare range that she has been selling privately to her clients made more available to people wanting vegan skincare products.

She makes everything by hand, and can cater for specific skin problems if required.

I am just setting up the website, which will be www.vegannaturalskincare.com when it is set up, but in the meantime we would be only too pleased to help anyone who has any specific needs, or who will be interested in our product range when we launch it.

We use only natural ingredients such as essential oils, nutrient rich oils and plant extracts and make our own herbal infusions from scratch.

In particular, one of Marianne's creams has been used very successfully by people with eczema prone skin so please let us know if anyone is struggling to find a vegan roduct that deals with that.

We have an online animal rescue fund charity which we set up last year (at www.worldwideanimalrescuefund.org if you want to check it out), and 20% of the net profits from our vegan skincare range are going to be donated to the charity fund when we get started.

Hope it is OK to post this - if not please amend / delete as applicable!

Mike Lawson
Dorset,
UK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Has anyone tried maracuja oil? Is it any better than argan? I read it's not as greasy, but it's so expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

for my face I use:
live clean cleanser http://live-clean.com/products/fresh%20face/foaming%20daily%20cleanser
paula's choice earth sourced moisturizer http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/collections/Earth-Sourced/_/Earth-Sourced-Antioxidant-Enriched-Natural-Moisturizer/
paula's choice tinted moisturizer SPF 30 http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/makeup/face/_/Barely-There-Sheer-Matte-Tint-SPF-30/

for exfoliation I make my own salicylic acid treatment: I take a 325mg uncoated drugstore brand aspirin (ASA - acetylsalicylic acid: it's salicylic acid with an extra acetyl group on it to make it easier on the stomach) tablet and crush it up with some water to make a paste, put it on my face, scrub a little and rinse off. TA-DA! Face like new.

I really like Paula's Choice products (no animal testing, no fragrance, no extra gimmicky junk). They do have some products that are not vegan, but they emailed me a full breakdown when I asked. I haven't tried her stronger sunscreen yet (SPF 50) but I got some samples of it with my last order that I will try - I also need to replace my neutrogena.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:16 am 
Baking In The Flavor

for sephora brands, boscia, skyn iceland, and dermadoctor are vegan. ren is vegan except for a few products. dr brandt, dr dennis gross, jack black, josie maran, and peter thomas roth has a lot of vegan stuff(the ptr uber dry spf 30 is awesome for oily and acne prone skin)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Re the maracuja oil.....I have a bunch of little sample bottles I got as gifts with purchase (from Tarte). I have four and I've inly used one. It's ok, but in my opinion not any better than grapeseed oil (but SOOOO much more expensive).

For skincare, I've been really pleased with Mineral Fusion. A bit less expensive than BWC and the like, and IMO much, much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:19 am 
Nailed to the V

I had been using Lavera cleansing gel with good results on my oily T zone but finding a daily cream with an spf is more difficult ... I tried using British Nanny from LUSH but too thick for me then I found the Kimberly Sayer line and am very happy with their cleanser and their spf 30 for day. I am using a Trilogy cream for night.

http://www.kimberlysayer.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thoughts on Origins?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

la vie sale wrote:
Has anyone tried maracuja oil? Is it any better than argan? I read it's not as greasy, but it's so expensive.

I've tried maracuja oil - the Tarte stuff. It was okay, but I didn't love it. Plus it's way overpriced. What I do love is Badger's Antioxidant Rose Facial Oil. That stuff saved my skin when it randomly got super dry and flaky during the winter, and I've just kept using it. It's the only moisturizer I use at night anymore and I love it. Plus it's cheap! Twelve-ish bucks a bottle and it goes a long way.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:03 am 
Nailed to the V

robertgerman wrote:
I began to transition away from traditional skincare & beauty products with potentially harmful ingredients and instead move towards using more eco-friendly, organic and vegan products on my skin whenever possible. Anti Aging helps to look younger.

I used Clinique stuff for years (hanging my head), then Eliz. Arden then came MAC! with sidelines into Bare Minerals via -http://www.lovelula.com/

I am very pleased with the Bare Minerals ... no fuss, looks good ... in fact, a colleague asked me this morning what founddation I used.

You can get mineral foundation for not much dosh from E.L.F. ....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Anyone thinking about getting a Clairsonic - they really stand behind their products!

I bought a Mia 2 in January and have been loving it. A few weeks ago it fell in the shower and wasn't working properly. I called Clairsonic, gave them the serial number and they shipped me a new unit (with a new 2 year warranty) and charger and 2 new brush heads with no problem, they even included a return shipping label for me to send the broken one back. I couldn't be happier with their customer service.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:02 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i bought myself a clarisonic a couple weeks ago cheap on ebay after getting a demo in ulta. it makes my skin feel awesome (my rosacea is gone for the summer), but the acne is about the same. maybe less deep, if i could say that. my kid's young acne-starting skin is markedly different with it though.
i did at first have a horrifying feeling in my bad tooth the first time i used it and it scared me- it felt like my (root canaled and crowned) tooth was popping and snapping when the machine passed over it. it turned out the tooth was infected, and it hasn't happened again since the infection was controlled. but squickalicious.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I loooooooove my Clarisonic. A girl I go to cosmetology school with had gotten it as a gift, and tried it once and didn't like it, and sold it to me for $50. I sterilized the brush head that came with it, and used it for a week or so, but the bristles felt too scratchy and harsh (sensitive brush) so I bought the delicate brush and it's so soft and gentle, but still gets my face nice and clean.

The first time I used it I was horrified, I had removed my makeup with coconut oil followed by a tea tree cleansing pad, and then washed my face with the Clarisonic and generic Cetaphil, and the brush came away with a pretty heavy foundation residue even after all the pre-cleansing. My face is gross.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Now I want a Clarisonic. They have one for $90 on Amazon. The Mia.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's the one I have, the only differences between the regular one and the Mia are that the Mia only has one speed, doesn't beep to alert you to change the part of your face you're cleaning, and can't use the body brush attachment.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have a 15% off coupon for Sephora and it's now on my list of possibles. I want to make one big trip since it's a one time thing. I'm also eyeing the Korres products mentioned in the makeup and some of the skin care products mentioned upthread.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I meant the Tarte eye products - the Amazonian clay eye liner in particular.

Can you use Clarisonic with any cleaner?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pretty much, they recommend not using it with exfoliating cleansers because it could be too harsh, and I've read that people don't like it with anything that foams or suds a lot, but any basic cream or gel type cleanser works.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have the Mia 2 (which is a little more expensive than the Mia, I know) has 2 speeds and the T-timer - which is why I chose it over the Mia. I like the timer because I can zone out a little and still make sure that I've done a decent job washing my face.

And yeah, I've used a few different non-exfoliating cleansers and everything is fine. Just choose one that your skin likes!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Mad love for the Clairsonic Mia over here....In about two weeks I noticed a marked improvement with blackheads and pore size.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Has anyone used Dr. Hauschka products? I used to when I worked at a store that carried them and I liked them. According to their site they don't test on animals and though not all products are vegan the ones I'm interested in are. I've got to check and make sure they are either independently owned or owned by a non testing company.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next