| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hm, just read the vitamin C thing, interesting. I just started using retinA again, i used to use it all the time, but exactly like you said, i'm always just one step away from the perioral dermatitis returning (i was told steroid creams cause it, but i've never used steroid creams... nevertheless i am always nervous about using creams on my mouth area and of course, i have those big smile lines that of course i'd want to put cream on).

I supposed she mentioned premade saline just because it is easy, sterile, and cheap (like the kind you would put in an IV bag, not clean your contact lenses with). We were talking about how I used to use a mineral water spray on my skin in the US as a mist to calm my face down and she said I should try this instead. I usually use a drop of sandalwood oil, or lavender, or something that makes me feel calm. And I typed rosewater, but it is actually orange flower water, which has to be one of my favorite smells. I think it is more about feeling good than actually having any effect, but that's okay, right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This thread is long and I am way late. But I need to sing my praises for Lush on this one. I've always had pretty normal non issue skin. But this winter on the east coast has been miserable. In late October I started getting seriously red and itchy all over my chin and jaw line and then it spread to my cheeks. My skin didn't look irritated at all but I could feel that it was different than normal. At that time I was just using coconut oil for moisturizer so I went to Lush looking for something stronger and came out with a new regime! I switched my face wash to a gentle clay based wash instead of a soap cleanser wash. And then added a rose water toner spray and a thick moisturizer. NO more issues! Once I got through that face wash I switched over to something with an exfoliant.

First face wash had seaweed in it! And I accidentally got some in my mouth once, it was salty.
http://www.lushusa.com/Aqua-Marina/9999 ... l#start=16
Second face wash is awesome and leaves you so super soft!
http://www.lushusa.com/Angels-on-Bare-S ... ml#start=7
Toner
http://www.lushusa.com/Eau-Roma-Water/9 ... ml#start=2
Moisturizer that smells like a creamsicle cause it has tangerine oil in it!
http://www.lushusa.com/Cosmetic-Lad/004 ... l#start=10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:15 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Torque, you just taught me the phrase "perioral dermatitis." Mine's never been as dramatic as some of the pictures I'm seeing online, but my whole mouth/jaw area is certainly red once all the flaky skin comes off. So unglamorous. I don't use steroid cremes either, but will try only using my acne gel on that area every OTHER day...

Your face spray recipe sounds lovely, ESPECIALLY with orange flower water. It's practically bottled happiness.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The moisturizer isn't marked vegan and has lavender honey water. Not to be snarky or anything, just so you know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

blondiefk wrote:
The moisturizer isn't marked vegan and has lavender honey water. Not to be snarky or anything, just so you know.

You are so right! My bad! Didn't mean to post something that has honey, just what I'm using at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

GraciaKai wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

You are so right! My bad! Didn't mean to post something that has honey, just what I'm using at the moment.

i find this to be the biggest problem with Lush. You just assume, Lush, it's all safe and let your guard down. Then you find goat milk or honey in the ingredients.

Rebekah, the POD this is especially bad because it comes on kind of sneaky like, maybe one flaky patch, you think it is just dry skin, and then you put on a cream and BAM, full out explosion. And NOTHING helps it (for me at least) except a month-long oral antibiotic regimen, and here they use something that always makes me sick- maybe tetracycline.
(ETA- Australia has a lot of good resources for rosacea, and rosacea is linked with POD, so I find a lot of info there, where if i recall correctly it is endearingly called "muzzle rash")

GraciaKai, I used to use coconut oil and i think it was that that made my skin even drier and more sensitive. I had always assumed oil, you know, moisturizer, but it just made everything worse.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I do have a tendency to assume all things Lush are vegan! I need to be more careful with them.

Coconut oil is working well as a general daily slathering all over body lotion for me right now. But when it came to my face it was not working at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Speaking of vegans who just realized their stuff isn't vegan, I finally looked up my prescription antibiotic cream--- and the cream part contains lanolin.

Cuss cuss cuss.

It never came with an ingredient list or a package, they just hand me the little jar at the pharmacy. The cream part's called Abtima, for the record. The antibiotic is erythromycinum. I have at least a two months' supply. Any replacement ideas, fellow acne-havers?

I might be able to get the same drug in a different cream or gel, but I don't relish explaining veganism to my already-impatient dermatologist. We barely understand each other as is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Torque, I don't think I have rosacea. Maybe I'm just overusing my prescription.

Either way, I rather like the term "muzzle rash." Sounds like a new term for beard rash--- or would that be nuzzle rash? Ha! I'll be here all week, folks, tip your waiters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Does anyone have any suggestions for good products for dry skin? My skin has been getting drier as I've gotten older, but this winter is the worst yet. I'm a flaky mess and my normal routine isn't cutting it, but I don't want to just randomly buy something different and hope it works. I've been looking at the derma e hydrating serum but would love to hear about anything that's worked for anyone.

For reference, my current products are a reviva labs firming eye cream, desert essence moisturizer with spf, yes to blueberries night cream, and rosehip seed oil.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:03 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

amandabear, I recently started using a cheap "face water" that's little more than water and glycerin. It helps, and would be easy and cheap to DIY.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Interesting - do you just apply it with a cotton ball or something? It's definitely worth a shot since glycerin is so cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i def recommend a little spray bottle for stuff like this. i have a toner (mario badescu) that the person who sold me it at... Ulta? can't remember... anyway the salesperson told me that all these things were so much better sprayed on, and man, was she right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Torque's idea is better, but I just pour a little on my palm and apply it with my hand. No sense sharing it with a cotton ball, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Very true! I'll pick up a little spray bottle and some glycerin this weekend and see if it helps. It certainly can't hurt! Ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Also amandabear, if you still wash your face with a foaming cleanser or soap of any kind I'd cut that out and start cleansing with a cream cleanser or an oil. I've gotten progressively drier skin as I get older too, and cutting out foaming cleansers made a big difference. I use a rinse-off cleansing oil in the shower, or a muslin cloth and cream cleanser when I'm just washing my face outside the shower.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:28 am 
Stepford Vegan

anyone else using black cumin seed oil for the skin? i have been using it instead of aragan. it is lighter and supposedly good for acne. i do not get major break out but my skin is getting it's spring fling rash and i am looking for ways to calm it down.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Are Freeman Naturals products vegan? I've seen a lot of stuff to indicate it is, but Logical Harmony doesn't mention them in a good or bad way, even once. That's my go-to place. It's on PETA's list and the label I read shows "not tested on animals" and as far as I can tell, no animal ingredients are there.

I bought only a sample size of the Dead Sea Minerals mask, just in case. It was an old favorite of mine I actually trashed after going vegan. So I'll be pretty upset no matter the truth, haha. Anyone know?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm not sure what's happening with Freeman, they're still on the Peta list, and they're on the Leaping Bunny list who are pretty meticulous with their criteria from my understanding, but within the last few weeks Logical Harmony moved them to her list of brands to avoid. I'm still using them because I do trust Leaping Bunny quite a bit, but I'm keeping an eye out. As to veganness, I know at least one mask has silk amino acids in it, and I think they have others with honey, and maybe milk proteins, but then others seem totally vegan, so if you're going to keep buying from them you'd want to check ingredients.

twitter/instagram @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hmm, lame! I wish policies were more transparent. Thanks again, jessilikewhoa!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I thought I'd share an awesome thing I just found out. First, crappy thing. I didn't realize Hain Celestial test on animals, and since I don't buy from brands with parent companies that test that means replacing my Alba Botanica face scrub and my much beloved Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque.

The scrub was relatively simple, the Yes To Tomatoes scrub seems pretty similar, but finding a clay mask with sulfur was not. I found the Murad Clarifying Mask but wasn't sure if it was vegan or not, so I emailed them very late last night, and got a long detailed response back today.

They confirmed that the mask is vegan, then offered to help me put together a complete vegan routine using their products. They asked a bunch of questions about my skin, and asked for my address so I assume along with product recommendations I'll be getting either coupons or free samples.

So Murad gets all the thumbs up, quick response, informed response, and they go way above and beyond.

twitter/instagram @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:03 pm 
Stepford Vegan

ugh, so i have this bump on my nose - it looks blister like - it is hard though and it has not went away. what to do?

i like the murad matte spf - it is really good!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

No tips on the blister, sorry missmuffcake!

And that is so disappointing, jessilikewhoa! I just started using Alba's anti-acne astringent a few weeks ago, and it magically transformed my oily zitty face into a normal person's face. Damn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

miss muffcake, i hate to say it, but nose is prime real estate for sun damage. you should get it checked (it may be twenty five types of nothing to worry about, but just in case)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:27 am 
Stepford Vegan

I think the bump is Sebaceous Hyperplasia - I would like to find a diy home remedy to get rid of it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next