| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have a few of those on my shoulders and ugh!!! if you find anything that works, let me know. (i have so much stuff that needs to be burned or frozen or whatever that they are just not even on my radar anymore in terms of taking action. maybe someday when i get all my tattoos done. [yeah right])

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:55 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I thought I'd share an awesome thing I just found out. First, crappy thing. I didn't realize Hain Celestial test on animals, and since I don't buy from brands with parent companies that test that means replacing my Alba Botanica face scrub and my much beloved Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque.

The scrub was relatively simple, the Yes To Tomatoes scrub seems pretty similar, but finding a clay mask with sulfur was not. I found the Murad Clarifying Mask but wasn't sure if it was vegan or not, so I emailed them very late last night, and got a long detailed response back today.

They confirmed that the mask is vegan, then offered to help me put together a complete vegan routine using their products. They asked a bunch of questions about my skin, and asked for my address so I assume along with product recommendations I'll be getting either coupons or free samples.

So Murad gets all the thumbs up, quick response, informed response, and they go way above and beyond.

Really bummed to hear that about Alba and Queen Helene. That mint julep mask is so cheap and works just as well as products 10x the cost.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, I legit had no clue. Like I knew all Hain Celestial brands had that parenthetical aside after them on the Peta list with (Hain Celestial) and that all the other brands that had that formatting it was because the parent company tests, but I never put two and two together, which is on me, the notation was there, I just couldn't comprehend earth friendly health food store staple brands being owned by a parent company that tests, and I always associated Hain Celestial with that whole crunchy lifestyle.

I'm really bummed about the mint julep masque, it's the best mask I've ever used at any price point. At this point I'm hoping the Murad one works as well, and I'm not even thinking about the massive price jump between the two.

Dr Dennis Gross has a sulfur mask too, but it's even more expensive. Then there's this one https://www.revivalabs.com/store/produc ... n--pv.html but I really prefer a tube to a jar, so Murad it is.

twitter/instagram @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm confused, Hain Celestial is listed by leaping bunny as being cf.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

All I know is this blog post says they're investors for what sounds like it's a Chinese medical company that does animal testing, which was what got me worried in the first place, and then I saw them in parenthesis on the Peta list https://budgetfriendlytoo.wordpress.com ... lly-vegan/ and they aren't independently listed as testing or not testing on the Peta list, only listed in parenthesis as a parent company for other companies, which I thought they only did for brands with testing parent companies, though now I'm unsure. Blerg. I hate the conflicting lists. Like Tashina at Logical Harmony took Freeman off her list but they're still on the Peta and Leaping Bunny lists.

I'm going to see if I can email Peta and ask about that parenthetical listing for them, and I'll let people know if they respond. For now I'm still not using them myself just to be safe.

ETA, I emailed Leaping Bunny and Peta. Hopefully I hear back from one of them, though I emailed Leaping Bunny about Freeman after seeing the post on LH and never heard back, so I'm not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hain Celestial owns so many brands including food it's going to majorly suck if they are testing or invested in a company that tests.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:47 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Damn, that really sucks. Hopefully leaping bunny replies to your email. I always thought they were better at being on top of that kind of stuff than PETA, but I guess not. ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm assuming like many certifications and licensures, they don't bother to check the status until it's time to renew certification. Whatever it is, it's lame. Alba is so great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I actually heard back from Leaping Bunny on Hain (though still no reply on Freeman which I sent first) and this is what they said
Quote:
Thanks for your email. I actually saw reps from Hain at the recent Natural Products Expo West in March. They assured me that their brands absolutely do not test on animals. That is what we look at: Do companies test their products/ingredients/formulations on animals. We wish we could look at vegan certification, palm oil certification, how companies invest money (i.e. supporting medical research, etc.) but the task of keeping track of animal testing alone is huge. I'll keep this on my radar in case it comes up again or I hear more information. You can be sure of that.

Which I can totally appreciate, I'm just not sure how I feel about it, because the supporting medical research was the issue in that blog post. Which I mean, if that's the case for Hain, it could easily be the case for every brand I use that isn't a tiny vegan owned indie, you know? How am I going to be sure without dedicating myself 24/7 to researching. And I use medications and participate in medical care, and have confused/conflicted/not fully formed views on medical research as it is, BUT it comes down to me wondering if I want to support that with my toiletry purchases when I theoretically have the option not to.

I dunno, I have no idea where I'm at on this right now, but I thought I'd share the reply. Maybe Peta will get back to me and share more insight on this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:31 pm 
Stepford Vegan

my skin is soooo dry, my lips are chapped. i even upped my already heavy water intake. i blame the wind & really bad allergies lately. my skin also has been super rashy. everything feel like fire on my face. any recs out there to help restore balance?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:53 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Has anyone used the BWC skincare products? I'm particularly interested in the moisturizer but am also open to hearing out their other skincare stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:56 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My homemade vitamin C serum has stained about 35% of each fingernail yellow. I expected my pillowcase and pajamas to take one for the team, but nails?

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:35 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Has anyone used the BWC skincare products? I'm particularly interested in the moisturizer but am also open to hearing out their other skincare stuff.

I too would be interested in hearing from anyone who uses their products ... I have only seen them one place here (Cambridge - the U.K. one) & it was a rather shabby looking display so I did not buy anything ...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

MMC - have you tried Celestial moisturizer from Lush? It's on the heavier side - but I think has some rather gentle ingredients and definitely helped me this winter when it was colder than it's ever been here.

Does anyone use/know of any vegan sheet masks? I'm interested in trying some out for those times when I want a little extra pampering and don't want to smear a traditional mask all over my face.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:08 pm 
Stepford Vegan

i have not tried that one by lush.

my skin is a bit better. being using less of the clairsonic, more sponge/water cleaning and aragan oil to moisturize.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Nicole wrote:
MMC - have you tried Celestial moisturizer from Lush? It's on the heavier side - but I think has some rather gentle ingredients and definitely helped me this winter when it was colder than it's ever been here.

Does anyone use/know of any vegan sheet masks? I'm interested in trying some out for those times when I want a little extra pampering and don't want to smear a traditional mask all over my face.

It depends how you feel about Freeman. They're still cruelty-free according to Leaping Bunny and Peta, but not according to Logical Harmony. I emailed them about their rose and agave sheet masks to see if they were vegan, the reply was that their entire line is vegan. Which would be great except they have masks that have silk in the ingredients. Now, I've run into three companies previously that had silk in the ingredients who then said it was synthetic when asked (Paul Mitchell's strengthening conditioner, multiple products from Framesi, and Tarte eyeliners) so that could be the case here too, but I don't know, and I haven't emailed because I wasn't interested in those specific masks and I'm kinda lazy. They did have a mask that just listed hydrolyzed yogurt protein in the ingredients but clarified elsewhere on the product packaging that it was from non-dairy yogurt so there is precedent.

Anyway, they're kind of confusing and make me nervous, but the sheet masks don't say silk so I did go ahead and buy them. They're basic but nice.

Unless you consider honey vegan, DON'T buy from Maskeraide, their about says all their sheet masks are vegan, but I emailed them for ingredient lists and they said all their masks contain honey, that they were told it was ok to use honey in vegan products, and that they only found out after making their masks that it wasn't, they're looking into reformulating, but as of right now they haven't changed the verbiage on their site. *grrr face*

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:45 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Honestly, I don't trust a brand who doesn't advertise themselves as a vegan company (like OCC does) but when you ask them their rep tells you everything is vegan. I'm cynical like that.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

For some reason I thought Freeman used to advertise themselves as all vegetarian, but I don't see any verbiage like that on their site now at all.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Unless you consider honey vegan, DON'T buy from Maskeraide, their about says all their sheet masks are vegan, but I emailed them for ingredient lists and they said all their masks contain honey, that they were told it was ok to use honey in vegan products, and that they only found out after making their masks that it wasn't, they're looking into reformulating, but as of right now they haven't changed the verbiage on their site. *grrr face*

Thanks Jessi! That's really, really good to know about Maskeraide, because when I googled "vegan sheet mask" they were all over the place. I didn't look into them too much and something seemed weird to me so I didn't give it too much thought... Might have been something about the name being annoying. I'm really glad I didn't try to track down a place to order them from.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Argh, started using a new mineral foundation and I've broken out in a rash all over my face! Hoping calamine lotion will reduce the bumps :/

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:43 pm 
Stepford Vegan

was someone looking for cloth face masks? these state they are vegan:

http://www.sephora.com/snow-magic-sheet ... Id=1710227

i am curious now...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm looking for sunscreen, preferably inexpensive. Does anyone know is CVS brand is okay? I remember reading No Ad brand was vegan but I haven't seen it in the past few years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LH took CVS off her cruelty free list because their response to animal testing questions changed and she found the new response unsatisfactory, and they've never been on the Peta or LB lists, so you'd have to look into their policy for yourself and decide. I stopped using their store brand Cetaphil and have been auditioning new cleansers because I'd rather be certain.

It looks like No-Ad has a store list on their site, though I don't know how accurate it is http://www.no-ad.com/store_locator.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mr. Shankly wrote:

I've used the oil free moisturizer and LOVED it.

ETA: UGH to Hain Celestial and CVS brand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

I really like both emiemnces organic s and Arbonne.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next