| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:17 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

ndpittman wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Has anyone used the BWC skincare products? I'm particularly interested in the moisturizer but am also open to hearing out their other skincare stuff.

I've used the oil free moisturizer and LOVED it.

ETA: UGH to Hain Celestial and CVS brand.

Their makeup remover is my fave. I forgot it at home last week and had to buy another brand at whole foods in Austin and it was the pits.

I'm also super bummed to hear about Queen Helene! Their mint julep mask has been one of my beauty staples for years. I'll use what I have left, but... bummer man.

I'm getting more into Lush, though. I realized all my face washes were really drying out my skin, so I went and had a little consult and bought a tub of the Herbalism face wash. It's got ground almonds (instead of plastic microbeads), rice vinegar (for oil), and lots of yummy moisturizers. I tore through my first tub and yep, it's a winner. I think when I go in for my refill I will start my recon mission for a Queen Helen replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jessilikewhoa wrote:
LH took CVS off her cruelty free list because their response to animal testing questions changed and she found the new response unsatisfactory, and they've never been on the Peta or LB lists, so you'd have to look into their policy for yourself and decide. I stopped using their store brand Cetaphil and have been auditioning new cleansers because I'd rather be certain.

It looks like No-Ad has a store list on their site, though I don't know how accurate it is http://www.no-ad.com/store_locator.html

That sucks about CVS. Thanks for the store locator. No wonder I haven't been able to find it- I've been looking in Manhattan and according to their site no stOres there have it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I decided I'd keep using Hain Celestial stuff because looking at that post and the criteria the person is using, I don't know that it's necessarily much different than how the equity company that owns the majority stake in Elf also owns a pretty substantial number of pharma companies.

Basically I'm tired you guys, and I just, if it's good enough for Leaping Bunny and/or Peta and/or the Whole Foods body care buyers who supposedly only stock cruelty free companies then it's good enough for me. Jessi is tired. I'm not going to start using brands owned by L'Oreal or Estee Lauder or whatever, but this murky mess, I will wallow in the grey confusing middle.

twitter/instagram @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:32 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I get my sunscreen at Kroger, because they carry hippie brands like Alba Botanica and they put it on clearance faaaaaaaaaast.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:03 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have bought some -
http://www.mypure.co.uk/lovea-spf-50-da ... rmula-p855

I am very pale so like to have as high as poss spf on my face, throat & visible chest ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:57 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I decided I'd keep using Hain Celestial stuff because looking at that post and the criteria the person is using, I don't know that it's necessarily much different than how the equity company that owns the majority stake in Elf also owns a pretty substantial number of pharma companies.

Basically I'm tired you guys, and I just, if it's good enough for Leaping Bunny and/or Peta and/or the Whole Foods body care buyers who supposedly only stock cruelty free companies then it's good enough for me. Jessi is tired. I'm not going to start using brands owned by L'Oreal or Estee Lauder or whatever, but this murky mess, I will wallow in the grey confusing middle.

This.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 pm 
Stepford Vegan

okay guys:

no ad sports block vs alba spf

i read no ad is vegan and currently use alba but find it is a wee bit greasy. i also need something that stays on through sweat when i explore cemeteries. my aunt is having skin cancer removed from various parts of her body right now - second person in my family line. while she bathes in oil and soaks in the sun i just do not want to risk anything. i had a bad burn last year after being on a black top film set for a few hours...ugh!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:32 am 
Stepford Vegan

i tried the when 'brighten' mask. i did not like how the mask really did not feel like it fitted - tried getting it to fit was a pain. it did however make my skin look glow-ey and nice. but at like $8 a pop i can try to find something less of a hassle and cheaper.

bonus: the boyfriend was creeped out by the mask. might buy a few just to keep around for my 'leave me alone' days...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My Clarisonic no longer charges so it's time to replace it. Which brand is okay? I remember on that came in pink leopard but I can't remember what it's called or find it online.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's Michael Todd, and it looks like there's a popup when you go to the site where if you sign up for their mailing list you get a 15% off coupon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

missmuffcake wrote:
was someone looking for cloth face masks? these state they are vegan:

http://www.sephora.com/snow-magic-sheet ... Id=1710227

i am curious now...

This was me! (Sorry it took me 2 weeks to see this.) Thank you!

ETA: I just saw your review, MMC - it's good to know. I almost never get to Sephora so it would be an extra luxurious luxury item for me anyway.

I wish Lush had more vegan face masks. I think there are two that I can use (cosmetic catastrophe, and the cupcake one) - I don't see a huge difference with CC and I'm not so much interested in the cupcake one, and I think the other has banana in it (allergies).

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:11 pm 
Stepford Vegan

Nicole wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

I wish Lush had more vegan face masks. I think there are two that I can use (cosmetic catastrophe, and the cupcake one) - I don't see a huge difference with CC and I'm not so much interested in the cupcake one, and I think the other has banana in it (allergies).

i have tried both - the cupcake one seemed to be more soothing to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:43 pm 
Stepford Vegan

is Mario Badescu Drying Lotion vegan? if not does this look vegan - i read that ks is cf.

http://www.sephora.com/eradikate-acne-t ... Id=1167147

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mario Badescu have been pretty shady about both cruelty free status and ingredient disclosure, BUT the Bye Bye Blemish Drying Lotion is pretty much identical to the MB one, the company is owned by Aii who are on the Peta do not test list, and when I emailed they confirmed that the BBBDL is vegan, so here, have a cruelty free/vegan MB knockoff for way less money http://www.drugstore.com/bye-bye-blemis ... n/qxp87444

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:39 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Nicole wrote:

They are bringing out a coffee one this year that will be suitable for vegans :)

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:30 am 
Stepford Vegan

jessilikewhoa wrote:
so here, have a cruelty free/vegan MB knockoff for way less money http://www.drugstore.com/bye-bye-blemis ... n/qxp87444

thanks - i like cheap! i have been wanting something like this because the gel stuff from lush does not really cut it for pms bumps for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So far this year Unilever has bought Ren, Dermalogica, and now they're in the process of buying Murad. It's like they're specifically seeking out the cruelty free vegan friendly prestige skincare brands to buy, and I'm very very irritated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:57 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Unlever bought Ren? how disappointing ... I have several of their items about the place ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:09 pm 
Stepford Vegan

sephora started carrying Herbivore. i have not used the line but wanted to note a new sephora option. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:18 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I could use some suggestions for face washes and sunscreens/lotions... preferably ones with lighter oils that are non-drying?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:12 pm 
Stepford Vegan

Alyx wrote:
I could use some suggestions for face washes and sunscreens/lotions... preferably ones with lighter oils that are non-drying?

there is a lot in this thread. what type of skin do you have?

PROBLEM: so i have talked before about being a stress picker. halloween things got bad. i have a giant scab now on my chin i am babying with oil. tiny pimple turns into a crater. but the bump on my nose, well, it keeps coming and going. i put a bandaid on it sunday night, monday woke up and it was flat - just the scab. then i must of hit it last night - my nose had a trail of blood all around the scab. it is all dark & crusty.
i told my dude maybe i need to go see a derm, he thinks that is a waste of $. i want the damn bump gone for good. what to do?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:25 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well, since I started this thread, I thought I would share the skincare routine and products I have been using for the last 6 months of so. I am REALLY happy with the results too! I am in my mid/late 30's , and I have found that my skin looks tighter, pores appear smaller, and fewer breakouts. Also, I have been getting LOTS of positive compliments on my skin - out of nowhere too (as in, not from people that know I have been working on a routine)

It looks kind of complicated and long, but really it isn't! Just a couple of minutes every morning and night. And I bought the products one by one to make sure they work for me, and I didn’t have a funny reaction, so now all I have to do is replace them. I didn't drop all the $ for the products at once, although some are kind of expensive, but some I bought at target. Luckily, Paula's Choice has great sales all the time, and lots of samples, which helps.

Face wash: Alba AcneDote (contains BHA). Paula's Choice Hydralight Cleanser. E.L.F. Make Up wipes
Moisturizer: Arbonne Rejuvenation, Yes to Blueberries Night Cream, Paula's Choice Eye Cream
Cosmetic: E.L.F. BB Cream with sunscreen under my other makeup
Other: Boots #7 Acne Serum. Boots #7 Toner. Paula's Choice BHA Chemical Exfoliate. Paula's Choice Sunscreen.

Basically, I started an actual routine, instead of slapping on moisturizer when I remember. Oh, I have oily-normal skin as well

Night Routine #1 2 x per week: Wash face with wipes prior to the gym. Half hour before bed, I wash face with warm water and then apply the BHA exfoliator. Half an hour later, I liberally apply night cream and eye cream.

Morning Routine #1 2x per week: the next morning I was face with water in shower (not BHA cleanser!) then immediately apply moisturizer and eye cream, then toner. Always use BB cream for sunscreen.

Night Routine #2 5x per week: Wash face with wipes prior to gym. Half hour before bed wash face with Hydralight Cleanser, then apply either toner or serum. Let dry and apply moisturizer and eye cream.

Morning Routine #2 5x per week: Wash face in shower with AcneDote, then immediately apply moisturizer and eye cream, then toner. Always use BB cream for sunscreen.

This routine works really well for me :) I am falling in love with Paula's Choice. The sunscreen is really good too!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm so down with sharing routines. I've managed to clear up my PCOS induced adult acne, and fade a lot of the old scarring, plus continue my quest to fight aging with every ounce of my being.

Morning: Acure Argan Stem Cell + Chlorella Growth Factor Brightening Facial Scrub followed by Clearly Natural unscented glycerin soap, pat on 100% Pure Coffee Bean eye cream, tone with Dickinson's Witch Hazel, then pat on Dr Dennis Gross Clinical Concentrate Purifying Booster and a little bit of argan oil, followed by Paula's Choice Clear Ultra-Light Daily Fluid SPF 30+

Night: Wash with Derma E Anti-Wrinkle Vitamin A Glycolic Cleanser, pat on Dr Dennis Gross Age Erase eye cream (which I can no longer find on his site. Ugh.) then use the Dickinson's toner again, followed by Paula's Choice Resist C 15 Super Booster, vbeauté Undercover Agent, and an oil, I alternate between One Love Organics Love Springs Eternal, Herbivore Botanicals Lapis oil, Sunday Riley Juno Hydroactive Cellular Face Oil, and Tata Harper Replenishing Nutrient Complex, then I mist my face with Lush Tea Tree Water to re-wet my skin, and then moisturize with Derma E Anti-Wrinkle Vitamin A Retinyl Palmitate Crème

Doing a mask once a week, right now I'm really liking the new Lush coffee one. Spot treating any breakouts with Bye Bye Blemish drying lotion.

I know it's a ridiculous amount of product, and some of it pretty pricey, but the serums and oils last for so long, same with the eye cream, and my staple cleansers and moisturizers aren't very expensive at all. It's made a massive difference in my skin too, like I'm not ashamed and uncomfortable going out without makeup now, and if I slack off for more than a few days my skin shows it. I'm also pretty ready to build a shrine to Derma E. I hate that their moisturizers are packaged in tubs (WHY?!!!) but their products are incredible, especially for the price.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:15 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I would love to see more cruelty free routines here!

I'm so happy I started a serious routine and have products that are working. Can I please go back in time 15 years and start doing it then?!

I have actually been lurking on reddits skincare addiction sub, which got me started this year. Some great info there.

I want to check out Derma E. Looks like they have a sampler set, which is cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next