| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PC laptop purchasing help needed!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hi guys. I have CAD$600-$800 (and possibly more, but I don't think it's needed) to buy myself a PC laptop with my boss' money. I am a mac person--so I really REALLY don't know about PCs and I want to buy this ASAP. I work on a 12" macbook air personally, and I love the size and lightness, but I understand that I can get something pretty powerful on PC if I am willing to not care about esthetics. I do need to lug this laptop around quite a bit, but my boss thinks I should get a bigger screen for "greater resale value" and "for my eyes." I'm not really that concerned about either of those factors, and even 15" looks huge to me.

Anyway, I really just need to know what brands you'd recommend, what to avoid, how to find a laptop without a stupidly wide keyboard. I only use the computer for Microsoft Office, Photoshop, browsing and email, and website development (but my end is just copy). Almost everything I do is in Word or using Chrome. I value light and compact but I'm willing to look at larger laptops if they are awesome in other capacities. It seems like HP has the most sales right now--is it a good way to go?

Your help SO appreciated!

Post subject: Re: PC laptop purchasing help needed!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:59 am 
WRETCHED

So I checked Apple's refurbished site in Canada and none of them are in that range at all which is a shame. Honestly, Apple computers are really the ones that keep a good resale value. Part of the reason is many of the vendors sell their new laptops with older technology. I was kind of shocked to see processors that were 15 years old in new laptops.

Ok having said that, there are a lot of options. I don't know about where you would buy a laptop in canadaland but in the US, NewEgg is very popular. I also liked XoticPC, where I bought my husband's laptop.

For the most bang for your buck, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, MSI and Sager are brands I'd look at. I'd personally avoid HP (I can show you my HP laptops with duct tape on them because they fell apart within a couple years).

As for specs, I'd look for 8MB RAM as a minimum but since you won't be doing video editing, you probably won't need more. I'd look for an i5 processor but there are newer and older i5 processors so you'd have to google the specific one to see the release date. In your budget, it may be hard to get but SSD is nice. Unless you plan to store a lot of data, you shouldn't need more than 256GB and even if you do, a USB stick can help extend the need. Also, I don't know about your price range but for a monitor, I'd shoot for 1920X1080 if you can get it.

If you find specific laptops you are looking at, feel free to post the links as well. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:24 am 
WRETCHED

Oh and NewEgg does have a canada site, I couldn't find any SSD laptops in your price range which is ok, you work with what you got.
A couple potential options (trying to get close to the max of your budget)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 4318425CVF (6GB RAM which will be fine, current processor)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 4314472CVF (6GB, best screen resolution I found, 1 gen back processor)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 7RD2VC2426 (6GB RAM, current processor)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 4232651CVF (8GB RAM, current processor)

So the above just gives you a general idea. Again, Hope it helps.

Oh and I realized all those were 15", which are generally cheaper to have decent specs. I have a couple smaller options here too:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 4314941CVF
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 000X-000P5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:12 pm 

DEFINITELY helps! Thank you so much! And especially for the warnings about HP--we were poised to buy one of those at Costco tomorrow but will keep looking and explore the newegg options you provided. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:45 am 
WRETCHED

Good luck, sometimes Costco is iffy for technology (known for not adjusting prices for older technology) but their website seems to be decent. I'd say look at the processor number (if it is 4xxx, it is previous generation, should be much cheaper or have other features in the laptop, if it is 5xxx, it is current processor, otherwise don't buy it - just my opinion). And who knows, HP could've improved but you often pay for the HP name on top of the specs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:54 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Costco seems good for monitors.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:47 pm 

I got an Acer laptop and I am pretty happy with it, but HOLY shiitake PCs are annoying little buggers with all their time-consuming needs. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:38 pm 
WRETCHED

Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

vijita wrote:
I got an Acer laptop and I am pretty happy with it, but HOLY shiitake PCs are annoying little buggers with all their time-consuming needs. Thanks for the help!

You get better at it! You using windows 10 from the get-go?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:13 am 

vijita wrote:

Ha. Like what? I haven't used a mac since the 80s and anytime I try now I get so mad. My husband has had to switch back and forth for work and is able to adjust well.