| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Permanent Makeup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:40 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Has anyone had any experience with permanent makeup? I over-plucked my eyebrows as a teenager, so in September 2011 took the plunge and had permanent makeup on my eyebrows (using vegan ink). The thing is, they aren't holding well and I am looking at having them done for the 4th time (Sept 2011, touchup a few months later, touchup again in August 2012). It is becoming a money pit and I wonder if it's typical or whether the salon isn't doing them properly?

Post subject: Re: Permanent Makeup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've had eyeliner on my top lids done twice in the last 10 years SM, by two different technicians, using two different methods of application. Mine also need to be re-inked, again. Both technicians told me that this would happen. The first said it would last 5-10 years, (it started fading after 2) and the other said it would last 3-4 years. Both claimed the amount of time before it fades depends on sun exposure, as well as individual genetic differences. The second one said it also depends a lot on the quality of the ink used.

Both women also told me to apply sunscreen religiously. I am outside a lot, wear hats, and wear sunscreen on the rest of my face. But come on, it's EYELINER, right next to my EYEBALL- there is no way I will be applying sunscreen on my upper eye-lid right next to my eyeball. But maybe this would help you in your situation? I would also think that having to get it re-done 4 times in 2 years isn't right. Was the first touch-up free? I wonder if you would have better luck at a different facility?

It seems odd, because my other tattoo, (on my leg) that is almost 20 years old, still looks great. I am just guessing, but perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they can't use as much ink to begin with? I don't know if I will re-ink again, or not. Anyway, to answer your question, in my experience it seems typical to have to re-ink, but not as much as you've had to do in a short amount of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I can ask my sister-in-law, she does permanent makeup for a living....I'll report back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I looked into it but I hear of/see the fading so much I figure it was not worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My SIL says that it all depends on the person's skin and the ink used. A once a year touch up is normal. Age also plays a factor as a younger person's skin regenerates faster.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Tenacious LD wrote:
Both women also told me to apply sunscreen religiously. I am outside a lot, wear hats, and wear sunscreen on the rest of my face. But come on, it's EYELINER, right next to my EYEBALL- there is no way I will be applying sunscreen on my upper eye-lid right next to my eyeball. But maybe this would help you in your situation? I would also think that having to get it re-done 4 times in 2 years isn't right. Was the first touch-up free? I wonder if you would have better luck at a different facility?

When I'm outside I usually wear a hat so sun exposure isn't really an issue. The first touch up was free and she has given me a reduced rate on the others because she knows I'm not happy and no doubt wants to keep me as a customer. The problem is, there aren't that many salons around here and her work was the best that I saw. Plus, she was really co-operative when I told her it had to be vegan ink.

I'm wondering if I should have her darken them slightly this time, maybe part of the problem is the color is too light to begin with. I assume your eyeliner was really dark?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!!