| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dry/instant shampoo
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:24 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I didn't see a thread for this already, but let me know if one exists.

Do you guys ever use dry shampoo? I need to get some because I'm having trouble washing my hair during the week with my new job given how much effort it takes to make my hair look ok for work and how tired I am/how early I have to get up. I watched some youtube videos and read some reviews, but I'm not sure what's good and also not sure what's vegan!

Post subject: Re: Dry/instant shampoo
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:15 am 
Inflexitarian

Lush has one called No Drought, but I haven't tried it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I use plain corn starch. Dust in, brush out. Works like a charm! (unless you don't brush it all out, then you look like you have gray hair)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:45 am 
WELFARIST!

quark wrote:
Lush has one called No Drought, but I haven't tried it.

I have and it smells really good and no one has said my hair looks gross (they said I look fine/normal). I'm not sure how well I think it works but that may be because I feel overall gross when I don't shower.

I usually just use cornstarch in my hair, though, since that's essentially all dry shampoo really is. You can mix in some essential oils if you'd like but straight up cornstarch would work and is cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a bottle of Lush No Drought. It's almost to the past freshness date and I have used maybe an inch of it. My hair is blonde so it blends in pretty well, but I still feel grimy when I use it. I think it's more a mental block, and that my hair actually looks fine. But it still feels gross, so I don't feel clean.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:10 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I also have No Drought and I like it a lot. I do body showers + No Drought on days when I don't wash my hair and it stays pretty fresh looking.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Most of the dry shampoos just make the dark parts of my hair look like I was in a bakery fight. I just use a de-tangle spray on my no wash days and brush through.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:38 pm 

missmuffcake wrote:
Most of the dry shampoos just make the dark parts of my hair look like I was in a bakery fight. I just use a de-tangle spray on my no wash days and brush through.

I have the same problem. And my hair is pretty dry, so even though I want to freshen up on no-wash days, it totally looks like I have dandruff unless I use just the tiniest amount. I use a clay-based one from Nezza Naturals and it has lasted me a couple years now! I feel like if I had thicker and oilier hair it would be a great product.

One thing I do to make the oils not permeate my roots is to refrain from brushing my hair often (really only after a shower). But I have fine, wavy hair...so this might not be an option for everyone.

I so don't have the patience to wash my hair every day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I use Lush's No Drought and it works pretty well for me. My hair is red and as long as I brush the shampoo out it doesn't show.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:14 pm 

thanks guys! i went to the vegan shop-up (pop up market in NYC with vegan vendors) today and someone ended up having some dry shampoo for darker hair. My hair is red, so I got that instead of the white one. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll probably also give cornstarch and lush a shot too and see what works best for me. Vijita, I have thick oily hair, so maybe i will see if i can find the nezza naturals one.

The stuff I got today was this: http://mulleinandsparrow.com/products-p ... air-tones/

I guess I got a deal at the shop-up cause it was $8. I probably won't want to spend quite that much on such a tiny bottle normally.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

what that stuff looks like is basically what i do, which is add cocoa powder to cornstarch so it doesn't stand out so much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

My favorite dry shampoo is Principessa

http://principessabeauty.com/product/?category=1

The one for dark hair blends into my henna red hair just fine without leaving it dusty looking at the roots. It also smells really good and fresh.

I've also tried the Cake Beauty one for dark hair

http://cakebeauty.com/prodinfo.asp?pid=83

It is lighter than the principessa one so it did leave a bit of a dusty cast. Plus, it has a very strong vanilla cake scent. It smells good if you wear sweet food-y fragrances but I'm more of an essential oil person so the cake smell was a dislike for me. If you have light-to-dark hair I think the cake one would be all right. They both work well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I use the Lush one and I like it. It's pretty much just cornstarch, but it has grapefruit oils in it or something so it smells awesome. I wash my hair every couple of days and use dry shampoo on my fringe on the in-between days. I find that it brushes out of my hair better than others that I've used in the past, and it just kind of makes my colour look a bit duller than usual (it's red), but it's not that noticeable. Added bonus for Lush- you get a ton, and it's cheaper and way longer lasting that the aerosol stuff that I've used previously.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
what that stuff looks like is basically what i do, which is add cocoa powder to cornstarch so it doesn't stand out so much.

That's pretty genius. And probably smells delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:21 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I may have missed something, but is there a reason you need any product? I wash my hair about every 5 days and don't use anything in it in between. Could you just do that? What's the benefit of the dry shampoo?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:24 am 
Baking In The Flavor

for anyone who might get oily between shampoos, or just to add some volume:)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:27 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, it literally just soaks up excess oils. I haven't tried dry shampoo but I should, since if I don't wash my hair every other day my bangs look super dirty.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:35 am 

pandacookie wrote:
I may have missed something, but is there a reason you need any product? I wash my hair about every 5 days and don't use anything in it in between. Could you just do that? What's the benefit of the dry shampoo?

I usually only wash my hair about every 5 days to once a week, but the last few days it starts to look greasy. For the last few years when i've been in school or not working I didn't really care if my hair looked greasy, but at my new job, I feel like I need to look a little bit nicer than what's normal for me, so I'd just feel better if my hair didn't look greasy. And I've had trouble washing it more frequently because my hair is a pain in the butt in that I need to let it air dry and then flat iron it or it's super frizzy, which is also something I didn't care about before, but now I feel like I need to keep it looking nice for work. So, I'm hoping some dry shampoo on Thursday and Friday will help a little until I can wash it again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:41 pm 

pandacookie wrote:

Different hair types! My hair used to be much thicker and super greasy, and I couldn't really go anywhere near 5 days without it being pretty horrifically greasy. Now that it is dry and fine, I can go 5 days like you, easily, but if I wake up late on that 5th day and have to look presentable for work, at least I have that as backup.

Dry shampoos are pretty inexpensive, and useful for travel when the shower in your hostel looks pretty terrifying and you forgot to bring flip flops.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:58 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

talcum powder works well, too. and lush has a nice dry shampoo, klorane has a spray on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sounds like you already got a colored one, but I use this Sevi one in Cocoa and I really like it:

http://www.ecosevi.com/boutique/cleanse ... ir-powder/

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I really dig dry shampoo. I go to the gym a lot, and travel a lot, and my hair gets greasy, but I don't wanna shampoo every day. I try to go for like 3 days.

Oscar Blandi (powder) is my FAVORITE brand
http://reviews.sephora.com/8723/P254307/reviews.htm

As far as I can tell it is vegan, and they do not test on animals. I am not 100% sure on the veganess though...to be honest, I bought a huge lot of it a long time ago and am not even halfway through it, and I intend to use it all up.

I highly reccomend. It's cheap too!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I like the klorane spray - goes on white but disappears after a minute or two - it lets me wash my hair every third day instead of every other day. I've met people who've gone two weeks without washing their hair using it, and they've looked great, I just can't imagine how greasy that would feel. According to their website, everything they sell in the U.S. is vegan & not tested. Plus, I can buy it at the drugstore (I live in the world of super yuppie drugstores, so that may not be true for everyone).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:

Ditto! Alas, I don't like smelling like cocoa powder when my head sweats. I've had some luck combining loose mineral makeup with cornstarch to make different colors. More expensive than cocoa powder, but good for anyone with special hair colors (purple, scarlet, blue, etc.)

Hair Fix is vegan, but it's also $19.95 for a bottle of doctored-up cornstarch.

Lately, I've heard about applying dry shampoo at night, so your hair looks non-powdery and less dulled in the morning. Has anyone tried this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

My roots used to get white from dry shampoo until I got the idea to quickly blow-dry it after I put in the dry shampoo and it works like a charm.