| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dry/instant shampoo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

+1 on the Oscar Blandi - it works great on my almost black hair (but a soft bristle brush helps brush it out). I've had the same bottle 3 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I absolutely love Batiste dry shampoo! Comes in a big aerosol bottle for cheap (like $10/bottle), can often be bought in drugstores, and it WORKS! I am 99% that it is vegan, it is highly scented when you first spray it but I don't imagine the scent is making it ninvegan. Ingredients: Butane, Isobutane, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Propane, Alcohol Denat., Parfum (Fragrance), Coumarin, Eugenol, Limonene, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, Linalool, Distearyldimonium chloride, Cetrimonium chloride.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm not sure why I never have tried it before, but I used the plain ole cornstarch today, in my brown hair, and I think it worked pretty well! Or maybe it's all in my head.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

Using dry shampoo at night has worked for me. I wake up with clean-looking hair, but not as dull (shine-less) as immediately after I apply dry shampoo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh, i like that idea! Now that my hair is long enough to go into a pony tail, i haven't been dry shampooing as much. I wear a ponytail + headband on super greasy days and i think it covers up pretty well. or maybe it doesnt and no one wants to tell me I have nasty hair.

Sometimes when my hair is greasiest I'll get extra compliments when I wear it down. Like, they think i just made my hair flat and shiny with product or something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I need to try this. I'm dyeing my hair a pale pink and the color fades so fast that I prefer to wash it as little as possible. The Klorane one where someone went two weeks? That's my dream product.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

blondiefk wrote:
The Klorane one where someone went two weeks? That's my dream product.

yeah, that was a woman working at duane reade when I bought it and her hair really did look great (they only sell it in the renovated DR stores - it's $18 for the big can but they often have 2-for-1 deals on it and almost always at least offer a free trial sized can with purchase of the big can).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:46 am 
Saggy Butt

blondiefk wrote:
I need to try this. I'm dyeing my hair a pale pink and the color fades so fast that I prefer to wash it as little as possible.

Have you heard of mixing dye in with your usual conditioner? Gertie of Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing mentioned doing that, and she has pink hair. Haven't tried it personally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yes, but with pastels it still fades really fast. I also have a Manic Panic shampoo specifically for pink hair.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 am 
ugh

Would anyone like a free bottle of Hair Fix dry shampoo for dark hair? It smells nice and works okay but I never use it because I don't like the feeling of powdery stuff on my hands. (Not sure what I was thinking when I bought the stuff!)

PM if you're interested. You can have it free if you're in the US but I might ask you to cover shipping if you're elsewhere.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:49 am 
Saggy Butt

blondiefk wrote:
Yes, but with pastels it still fades really fast. I also have a Manic Panic shampoo specifically for pink hair.

Well, damn. If you use a powdered dry shampoo, you could tint it pink for a little extra color payoff. But for me, cornstarch based dry shampoos build up after a few days. A spray might buy you more time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

b.vicious wrote:
Would anyone like a free bottle of Hair Fix dry shampoo for dark hair? It smells nice and works okay but I never use it because I don't like the feeling of powdery stuff on my hands. (Not sure what I was thinking when I bought the stuff!)

PM if you're interested. You can have it free if you're in the US but I might ask you to cover shipping if you're elsewhere.

Ugh, that would squick me out too. I have the non-aerosol Klorane but it still has a nozzle and then you just squeeze the bottle and it puffs out.

I definitely kicked up my dry shampoo use after I put purple in my hair. I got the Klorane off of the clearance shelf at Ulta, when it's gone i'm going to try and find a good deal on the aerosol one because those add volume too.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:59 pm 
ugh

b.vicious wrote:

This has been claimed

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:51 pm 
Chard Martyr

After five nights in the hospital where the shower was kind of disgusting so I got in and out ASAP, I like my dry shampoo again. For some reason it never occurred to me to just sprinkle a bunch of it on my brush, and blend it in that way. I still felt kind of gross but in a hospital I'm going to feel gross anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I don't know if anybody else has super baby fine hair, and is using aerosol dry shampoo, but if anyone is, does it make your hair feel really, almost excessively soft after you use it? I've been using the Paul Mitchell one, and it soaks up my oil nice, but after I use it I have trouble getting my hair to hold a style because it's so super soft, and the four cowlicks in my bangs start popping up and won't stay down no matter what product I use.

Is it my hair type, or the dry shampoo I'm using, or does nobody else experience this, and I'm some weird anomaly?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Melisser uses dry shampoo to make her hair super big, but that's the entire extent of my knowledge on the subject.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

jessilikewhoa wrote:

Is it my hair type, or the dry shampoo I'm using, or does nobody else experience this, and I'm some weird anomaly?

This might be the dry shampoo. I have very fine hair, and got that 'unsettlingly soft' feeling from a conditioner recently. No idea why. My aerosol dry shampoo (Balea) doesn't do that to me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maybe I'll try another brand. I looked at the ingredients in the Paul Mitchell and it definitely has some conditioning agents, so that might be it.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:22 pm 
WRETCHED

So I've been using the hair fix that b.vicious sent and I have to say I'm impressed. I had tried the Lush dry shampoo before but due to it being white and my hair being dark brown, it dulled my hair. I may try to darken it with cocoa powder. My scalp has been acting flaky lately (literally, flaky!) which isn't something I've had happen in many years. I noticed after my first application of hair fix, the flakes disappeared. I've been using it about once per week in between regular shampoo and it is working well.