| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Vegan Beauty Box
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:41 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I know the subject of monthly subscription boxes has come up a couple of times (Vegan Cuts, Conscious Box, etc) and I wanted to let you all know there's a new one in town.

http://www.ethicalocean.com/product/true-beauty-box

It's all vegan beauty products, $29.95/month (supposedly the value of the products inside is $60), and includes 3-4 full size products plus a sample or another goodie.

I know it's a bit more than some of the other boxes out there, but I'm giving it a shot! Hopefully it's worth the $$$.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Beauty Box
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Report back what you get!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I definitely will. I think it's supposed to ship mid-April. I really want it to blow me away with awesomeness but I'm skeptical that it'll really be worth $30/month. But on the other hand, I mail-order all my makeup anyway so what do I have to lose?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm eagerly anticipating your report!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ooh, this could be really really good or disappointing. If it's awesome, I will be so tempted.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:29 am 
Nooch of Earl

Just got an email about Vegan Cuts starting a beauty box. Thoughts? I'm pretty picky about stuff so I'm not sure it's for me, but wonder if I should rethink.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:52 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I signed up for the Vegan Cuts box right away, Melisser told me about it a few days ago. It's cheaper than the Ethical Ocean one, and she said it's going to be mostly sample sizes and 1-2 full size products, which I actually would prefer because i'd rather get more things to try than a few full sizes because if I don't like them, that's a big chunk of the box. And if I like a sample, i'll buy the full size anyway.

I've never ordered cosmetics from Vegan Cuts because even on the deal, it's kind of pricey stuff and buying cosmetics online when you can't swatch them isn't something I do unless it's cheap shiitake like ELF. I'm assuming that most if not all of the samples will be stuff they already sell, so it's a good way to figure out if I want any of that stuff.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I ordered the beauty box right away too. Too curious not to. I'm getting addicted to these monthly boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i signed up for it too! strummer got me right off the bat.

i wish there was a tiny bit of customization available; things like skin tone and/or favorite colors so that i won't get the box and be all, uh, i guess i'll give this all to my friends...? but i don't want to whine before i've even seen anything, so ignore me. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

OKAY so I came back from the dead (not literally this time) because I had to say that I signed up for the Vegan Cuts box as soon as I got the email this morning and I am suuuuuper excited. I agree with bluedawg that some customization would be nice, especially for things like skin tone and whether your skin is super dry or oily or whatever. But maybe that will be available in the future? For now I'm just excited to see what's in the box! It's shipping out the day before my birthday, so that's pretty awesome.

Oh, and I'm down with it being heavier on the samples than the full-size stuff. I mean, full-size stuff is great, but like Katie said, if I hate the full-size stuff then it's just kind of a waste. That's part of the reason I never signed up for the True Beauty Box. (Also it's $30. $20 is my frivolous spending sweet spot. More than that and it requires research and also guilt.)

P.S. HI GUYS.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:37 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm the opposite and I want mainly full sized products! I signed up too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:54 pm 

amandabear wrote:
OKAY so I came back from the dead (not literally this time) because I had to say that I signed up for the Vegan Cuts box as soon as I got the email this morning and I am suuuuuper excited. I agree with bluedawg that some customization would be nice, especially for things like skin tone and whether your skin is super dry or oily or whatever. But maybe that will be available in the future? For now I'm just excited to see what's in the box! It's shipping out the day before my birthday, so that's pretty awesome.

Oh, and I'm down with it being heavier on the samples than the full-size stuff. I mean, full-size stuff is great, but like Katie said, if I hate the full-size stuff then it's just kind of a waste. That's part of the reason I never signed up for the True Beauty Box. (Also it's $30. $20 is my frivolous spending sweet spot. More than that and it requires research and also guilt.)

P.S. HI GUYS.

Hiiiiiiii!

Yeah, I never even looked at the True Beauty box after I saw the price. I have a limit. Or Brian has a limit, whatever. I would probably sign up for every vegan box I came across if Brian wasn't here to remind me that i'm (hypothetically) spending over $100 a month to have shiitake mailed to me.

Also, I don't care if the products are 100% natural, so I think Vegan Cuts is going to give us a better range than Ethical Ocean would. And they're not going to repeatedly send people beeswax, like Conscious Box.

I'm still really angry about Conscious Box.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:55 pm 

Also re: skin tone, I think in general beauty boxes avoid things like foundation/concealer for this exact reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I'm still really angry about Conscious Box.

My friend bought me a 3 month subscription for my birthday and I have been obsessively checking ingredients. I'm going to throw a fit if an fine beeswax. I like not having to do that with vegancuts!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Yeah, I never even looked at the True Beauty box after I saw the price. I have a limit. Or Brian has a limit, whatever. I would probably sign up for every vegan box I came across if Brian wasn't here to remind me that i'm (hypothetically) spending over $100 a month to have shiitake mailed to me.

The appeal of getting surprise packages in the mail is undeniable. Presents! But if I'm dropping $30 I could buy a few things that are actually on my wish list (or pay a bill or something, I GUESS), so it's a little hard to rationalize. Especially since I haven't used most of the brands that are in the True Beauty Box. Also, yeah, I don't really care if stuff is all natural. I will smear whatever on my face as long as it's vegan.

You're probably right about the foundation/concealer thing. I know other beauty subscription boxes send them and people always complain about getting the wrong color.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

true enough about foundations/concealers... i'm probably just spoiled because when i signed up for vegan presence there was a whole survey about your skin type and tone and your favorite colors and things you like and things you don't. i know it's always hard to please everyone so i am not trying to be a whiner, i promise. but just as a small for instance: some people love reds and pinks, some people hate them and would rather have browns and blues. that kind of thing. i'm already thinking about how to re-home that coral/peach nail polish, for instance. BUT I AM STILL EXCITED FOR PRESENTS IN THE MAIL SO PLEASE DON'T HATE ME! i think this is just my worrywart nature coming out. like, oooh, cute namaste pouch! i hope i get a turquoise or purple one! i'm an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:45 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering what exactly this is going to be.. because makeup colors are such a personal thing.

Dithering. I guess with Powell's Indiespensable (not vegan related.. and often not vegan! but..books!) and regular vegan cuts, I already spend enough money on surprises for myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

No, the color preference thing is totally valid. Like I pretty much only wear neutral eyeshadows, so getting a blue one would be pretty useless for me. But I figure that's just part of the crepe shoot aspect of a sample box. That coral nail polish was one of the things that made me sign up, though! I live for coral anything. But maybe there will be a few different colors?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I tried to sign up but my stupid debit Mastercard through my bank won't work on sites outside the US. My life is sad. Right now I'm waiting a few months to see what people think and then I might get the box from Petit Vour.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i am curious but i also had crepe experiences with boxes in the past...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You guys talked me into it, I signed up. As far as make up colors, I will just re-gift if I don't like something. Let's hope it's worth it enough to keep the subscription for a while, although honestly, the last thing I really need is to feed my beauty product addiction! But it makes me happy. So whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't wait to see what you all get! I love the idea of the beauty box, it sounds super fun, but I would have to pay an extra $15 for shipping here and I guess I need to see whether it's worth it. But... American stuff! I want it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:03 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I signed up because I could not resist. Most probably I will only get one or two boxes because I don't have that much money to spend on it. But their thing of it's $65 worth of product did me in.

However, I try to only get natural/low harm score, and I did not realize there might be questionable stuff in there. So yeah probably one or two boxes top.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:59 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I tried to sign up but my stupid debit Mastercard through my bank won't work on sites outside the US. My life is sad. Right now I'm waiting a few months to see what people think and then I might get the box from Petit Vour.

That sucks! I didn't even realize it was outside the US. It would be nice if they let you pay via Paypal or something as a work-around to that issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hell, Canadian company does free shipping in the U.S. but I would have to spend $8 more? Boo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next