| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tinted Lip Balm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

I know the other threads have talked a lot about lip balms and I would like to revisit that because I still haven't found exactly what I want.

I wear lipstick/lip balms all the time and really want a lip balm that is not slick or sheer but functions more like a lipstick but comes in a lip balm tube (like the crazy rumors lip balm tubes, for reference).
I have tried Hurraw and Epically Epic Soap and both are too sheer and 'greasy' for me. I want more staying power and deeper colors. I have gotten stuff from an etsy shop call All Natural Face and the stuff is good, but it's a pain to keep ordering and sometimes I find that the color and consistency changes with each order.

Any suggestions on something that might work? something readily available??

thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tinted Lip Balm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I like the Crazy Rumors Hibiskiss. They are a bit sheer, but you can layer them.

I just ordered 5 balms there yesterday and say that they had a set of all the Hibiskiss for $29. $2.95 shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've tried these and like them: https://store.veganessentials.com/lip-s ... p2186.aspx
Despite the name, I don't find them particularly shimmery. I think I have dawn and sedona.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I use the Crazy Rumors Hibiskiss too. I don't wear makeup so I like how the color is super subtle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ELF's tinted balms are pretty pigmented and not very greasy at all. Plus, they have SPF! I've seen like. . . one shade in stores? They have several online, though!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks. I will check those out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:21 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I also love the Crazy Rumors Hibiskiss. So nicce.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Maybe the Josie Maran Color Sticks? I haven't used them like lip balm, but I've swatched them on my hand and they're decently pigmented.

I was at Vegan Haven today and almost bought a Hibiskiss, but the light was really dim and I couldn't get a good sense of the colors. I wish I'd gotten one now! They smelled really nice and tea-y.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the ELF ones that OSO mentioned are my favorite too. Actually, I need to order some because the one I had I used so much I was down to the very bottom and was using a lip tar brush to apply.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You might try Lush. I have their Santa Baby lip tint, and it sounds kind of like you're describing. It's more like a lip stain or a lip stick than a lip balm. It's not sheer or greasy or shimmery at all (it's matte) and it usually leaves some color on my lips for several hours. The downside is that, because it's so pigmented, it kind of bleeds everywhere and stains the skin around my lips. But it might be worth trying, overall I like it for a bit of natural color that lasts. They also have another version in a different color that isn't seasonal like the Santa Baby one, but I haven't tried it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:18 am 
Stepford Vegan

the lush ones are really pigmented. i know there is a pink one out for vday.

also pacifica has tinted balms.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:39 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I was a devoted Clinique Black Honey (okay, and Dr. Pepper Lipsmackers) user in my pregan life, so I have spent more than I want to tabulate trying to find a good, pigmented but sheer, moisturizing, not-greasy tinted balm. I've tried the ones you mentioned, too, and didn't like them, either. I find the Hibiskiss balms from Crazy Rumors much too shimmery for me, but I acknowledge I'm in the minority. I like the e.l.f. tinted lip balms but I never use them because they're in a pot. I bought one of their Jumbo Lip Gloss Sticks on a whim, and I'm now on my third one. They're much more like a balm than a gloss, they come in a crayon-type tube, they have good pigmentation - I love them. http://jezebel.com/alright-then-that-gi ... 1756021222

I've also been using a sheer lipstick from Colourpop a lot lately. It's barely sheer, really, but the texture is balm-like and the color is nice. https://colourpop.com/product-category/ ... finish=182

I've also tried tinted balms from Shiro Cosmetics, and they're okay. The color is good but the texture is a bit soft, so sometimes instead of swiping on a sheer coat of balm, I end up with a clump on my lip. However, I haven't tried them since they reformulated, so they might be better now. https://shirocosmetics.com/product/lips/tinted-balms/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:52 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh man, clinique black honey was my first ever make up! I loved that stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:36 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.
Looks like I have some work to do!

I have the ELF jumbo sticks and really like them a lot. I just wish they were the size/shape I am looking for. They are too big for sticking in my pocket or my 3x5 coin purse (which is the only kind of purse I carry).
I need to check out their new lip balms, and I will have to make a run to Lush to check out their new balms too. Although from the reviews on line it sounds like they might be a bit of a pain to work with. Not quite 'swipe and go'.

thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

veganchubosaurus wrote:
I like the e.l.f. tinted lip balms but I never use them because they're in a pot.

http://www.elfcosmetics.com/p/lip-balm- ... Agu78P8HAQ !!! :D

These ones also are more pigmented than the pot ones, I find. I have one of these in pink and one of the pot ones in berry and it's ANNOYING having a red finger tip all day! But this one is awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:57 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

veganchubosaurus wrote:
I've also been using a sheer lipstick from Colourpop a lot lately. It's barely sheer, really, but the texture is balm-like and the color is nice. https://colourpop.com/product-category/ ... finish=182

I've been wondering about these! I've been looking for some nice colored lipsticks/chapsticks/glosses that weren't too pigmented. Do they moisturize?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

oddspongeout wrote:
veganchubosaurus wrote:
I like the e.l.f. tinted lip balms but I never use them because they're in a pot.

These ones also are more pigmented than the pot ones, I find. I have one of these in pink and one of the pot ones in berry and it's ANNOYING having a red finger tip all day! But this one is awesome!

Oh, rad! I didn't know about these!

Mr. Shankly wrote:
veganchubosaurus wrote:

I've been wondering about these! I've been looking for some nice colored lipsticks/chapsticks/glosses that weren't too pigmented. Do they moisturize?

I feel like the sheer ones do. The other finishes, not so much. But I don't have particularly dry lips, so it depends on what your needs are. However, even the sheer lipsticks are pretty pigmented.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oddspongeout wrote:
veganchubosaurus wrote:

+100 yummy! These are the best.