| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heels!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Walking in heels, purchasing comfortable heels (or how to make already owned heels more comfortable), how they really feel, etc. Tell me everything you know, PLEASE:)

Such a n00b at this, and want to look good at an event in May that is a huge deal.

Post subject: Re: Heels!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

If you buy heels with enough space in the toe area, I bought a pair of those Doctor Scholl's ball-of-the-foot insoles for heels for a pair of boots I have that were roomy enough and WOW, they are AMAZING. They were pretty comfortable to begin with, and this took them over the top. I can walk and stand in them all day, no problem.

My other tip is to buy a half size up and put cushioning in the back of the ankle to make up for the space difference--I find one of my major discomforts in heels in pinching in the toes, so when I go a half size up, the toe is a little wider and I feel a little more comfortable.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

How do I walk in them without falling all over the place?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mr. Shankly wrote:

Practice, walk sideways down stairs, and be sober.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:28 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Abelskiver wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

Practice, walk sideways down stairs, and be sober.

Yes, practice is the way to go. It may feel silly wearing them in the house but it's how you get the hang of it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnitsByNatDesigns

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 am 
Ninja Master

I find if the shoes are quite high, they are best if they have a platform in, more comfortable.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I definitely advocate trying on as many pairs as you can possibly find, and quality is key. There is a world of difference between high quality heels and crepe ones, and your feet will know the second you put on decent ones (at least if you've been trying on shiitake ones all day.) And get those little pad thingies to go in them, sometimes they help and sometimes they make things worse.

Now...for the bad news for me. I tried for about two and a half years to find some that were acceptable to me. I needed plain black professional heels, and over the course I wound up buying a few pairs in varying price ranges, and all killed my feet. Ultimately I wound up having to go with some that were not synthetic. I hate it and it upsets me every time I wear them, but I'll be wearing them for long periods and often, and I was tired of limping for days after wearing a suit. As I've gotten older my feet are weirdly sized, so ordering shoes just isn't an option for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Heels tend to have a longer break-in period for me than other shoes, so I second wearing them around the house a few times.

Also, in my experience, heels are one of those things whose quality is proportionate to their price--I've had cheap heels that looked great but felt awful and left me bobbing and weaving when I tried to walk or dance, whereas I've tried on (ha ha but not bought) really expensive heels that were as easy to walk in as flats. If you plan on spending any length of time in heels, try to at least go middle range or better!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

When your in the store, pick the shoe up and make sure you can bend it where the flat part goes up. You don't want it to be too stiff. You also want the ball of foot and toe part to have some cushioning and not be like cardboard. As for the heel, it should be positioned in towards the ball of the foot, so it's under the center of your heel, and not all the way back towards the edge of the shoe. The chunkier the heel, the easier it is to walk in. You may want to also look at wedges, and use a comfy wedge as practice to transition into a heel. I would avoid stilettos.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 am 
Inflexitarian

Moo shoes sell these tulip (?) pad things you stick inside. They help control how much your foot slides forward but aren't visible from the outside. This allowed me to wear a pair of hand-me-down high heel sandals and dance all night at a friend's wedding. My feet did hurt later, but otherwise I probably wouldn't have made it 2 hours. So if you have some existing heels, that is a cheap option to try.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wedges. I find them to be more comfortable and more stable.
(Also, I don't know if you run or do sports or anything, but be sure to stretch your calves and achilles after wearing them. Heels are kryptonite for runners.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

emmalv wrote:
Wedges. I find them to be more comfortable and more stable.

Yes, this. I never really wear heels, as I find them to be so uncomfortable on the balls of my feet, but I do have a pair of Victoriana-y boots with wedge heels that I can wear to gig, or somewhere I'll be standing a lot, without being in horrific pain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I hate heels and pretty much stopped forcing myself to try and love them long ago. But I did just buy a pair of wedges that are pretty high for a wedding I'm going to in a few weeks. A wedge with an ankle strap is pretty much the only way I can wear some type of heel.

My issues with heels is that yes they are uncomfy to wear all day. The balls of my feet hurt and it just makes me grumpy. But I have also developed a fear of twisting my ankle. And I apply that same fear to all people in heels. I people watch a lot when I commute back and forth from work. And I'm always astounded that people can walk on cement in 4" skinny heels and not fall or brake an ankle. I cringe just watching them walk!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:19 pm 

I'm all about wedges and chunky heels! Also, ankle straps can be great. Some of my favorite heels have straps, and it makes walking in them much easier because I don't worry about them sliding off (which sometimes causes me to subconsciously tense my muscles in my feet to grip, so I end up in less pain at the end of the day).

I can navigate skinny, sky high heels, but I used to wear them a lot more. Being a teacher has gotten me out of heel practice, so when I'm getting ready for a big date night or something, I wear them around the house to practice and it helps me do a better job once I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wear heels most days (definitely every work day!), and yeah, practice. I'm so used to walking in heels that I fall over way more often in flats these days. I fall over the most in my gym shoes.

I second trying out some heels with a strap, so that you can focus on the walking without worrying about the shoe falling off your foot. A lot of t-strap heels are really cute (I'm wearing some today!). Also try on a lot of pairs so that you can find the right height for you. I have a couple of pairs that are too high for my small feet (they're from ASOS, so look out for that if you ever plan on buying shoes from them), and while I can walk around the office in them I usually change to flats if I'm going shopping on my lunch break or something. But I also have a pair that's too low, and I trip in them sometimes because the height isn't quite right.

Honestly, I own way too many shoes for me to spend heaps of money on really good quality stuff. Most of mine are from Modcloth, and I actually find them pretty comfortable. The reviews on there are a total bonus, since people will definitely point out if a shoe is super uncomfortable. But my feet are probably a structural mess and my advice is entirely likely to be terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

There is a recent New Yorker article on the topic, which profiles a podiatrist who also wears heels and wrote a book, "Everyday is Your Runway". The article makes the analogy that it's as if a nutritionist had written a how-to on binging and purging, which seems apt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This is not a tip for long-term use, but a pal of mine who participates in cosplay competitions/wears crazy high heels for hours at a time during said competitions suggests popping a couple of ibuprofen before heading out. Obviously you shouldn't do that every day, but if you never ever wear heels (so aren't used to the way they feel after wearing them continuously for a few hours) then it will reduce the likelihood that you will get major soreness midway through the evening.

And yeah, once you get a pair wear them around the house to break them in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I avoided heels most of my life, but after I wasted 50 bucks on "comfort" shoes that murder my feet, I bought some chunky heels at the thrift store where I work, and they've become my work shoes. I think they were made by Mudd and they're vegan!

And keep in mind I'm on my feet all day. Sometimes I get pain but most of the time I don't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I gave up wearing heels in my late teens but sometimes think I'd like to wear a pair now and again for a glam occasion, but I can't find any which feel even vaguely comfortable. The shoes I try on only touch at the heels and balls of feet/toes and my arch is not supported at all which I find feels quite unpleasant. Is this normal or something to do with my weird feet? How do those of you who need orthotics cope?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I tried on a pair Crocs heels one time and they were surprisingly soft and non-heel feeling at all. Anyone own them?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I used to wear heels every day to my law office job, but I'm a bit out of practice. I recently bought some boots with 3+ inch heels, but I think they need insoles. Also, can I just say that band camp helped me learn how to walk in heels? Heel, toe, heel, toe. Who knew something so...dorky? Not really, because I loved it, but whatever, could lead to walking like a champ in heels?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Crappy-ish photo, but these are the most comfortable heels I own. I could walk around in them all day long.

ETA: The brand is Franco Sarto. I got them at Marshall's for $15 because they are awesome and said they were all man made materials. I luff them.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:08 pm 

AP, those shoes are so cute!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

so cute! And that is actually another good tip - I have found that Franco Sarto heels tend to be quite a bit more comfortable than other brands of comparable height for some reason. I wasn't expecting that he had any vegan shoes, so Allularpunk's find gives me hope.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

rentaghost wrote:
I gave up wearing heels in my late teens but sometimes think I'd like to wear a pair now and again for a glam occasion, but I can't find any which feel even vaguely comfortable. The shoes I try on only touch at the heels and balls of feet/toes and my arch is not supported at all which I find feels quite unpleasant. Is this normal or something to do with my weird feet? How do those of you who need orthotics cope?

I have the same problem with the arches. I have given up trying to wear heels. I get crippling pain especially in the balls of my feet, and the following day my feet are all forked up - I swear it feels like the bones get all out of alignment. It's not worth it anymore.