| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adult Acne
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:36 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

So the past few months I've been getting more and more spots. My face seems to be calming down a bit since I started using Angels on Bare skin by lush so I've started using that on my neck, chest and shoulders in the morning. At first my chest seemed to calm down a bit but now the last few days it has gotten even more spotty than ever. I've lots of spots and some even have whiteheads on them.

I'm so sick of them and I've started to get very self conscious. I haven't had acne problems in 12 years. Has anyone got any suggestions of what I can use or do?

Post subject: Re: Adult Acne
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I was thinking of starting a thread like this too! I don't know why, but my adult acne has been a lot worse the last couple of months.

What are you using as a moisturizer? I've found that some moisturizers make my skin freak out so it's worth trying a new one if you aren't already, maybe. Other things that can suddenly aggravate my acne: New shampoo, conditioner, soap, laundry detergent etc.

I use a salicylic acid treatment sometimes for all-over bumps and that seems to help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I am turning 40 this year and my face still will break out if I am not super careful with skin care. I was using Aveda (I know some people don't like Aveda) exfoliant which is 2% salicylic acid and worked well enough. I ran out of Aveda and no time to wait on an order, so I went to the shops and bought Clarins gentle exfoliant:

http://www.sparklyvodka.com/2013/03/cla ... g.html?m=1

Mine says WhiteFX on the bottle, I think it says BrightFX in the US and nothing in the EU. Anyway it blows the Aveda out of the water. It has salicylic plus several other AHAs but it is not harsh at all. I have not had a single new spot since I started using it. It's twice as expensive as the aveda but I think it's worth it. I'm actually getting nice comments on my skin. I am not sure if Clarins sells in China but as far as I know it's vegan and not tested.

Other things I do: double cleanse (coconut oil to dissolve sunscreen then wash with cleanser), exfoliate with scrub in shower every day (in addition to the liquid exfoliant).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh, and for shoulder spots I have to scrub with a nylon towel in the shower every day. If you have a Korean or Japanese shop nearby these are super cheap and effective:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CSDDDG

There are knockoffs that work just as well as the salux and are very cheap. Dermalogica also sells one but its like $25 for something that should be under $5!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Honestly, as much as I didn't want to do this, I went to my dermatologist and am currently using 3 different topical medications (not all on top of one another) to make my cystic adult acne disappear. I tried for 6+ months to go without medications, but the results were horrifying and painful as all hell. It wasn't just one or two surface-level zits I was annoyed by, so as vain as it sounds, I had to go back to meds simply to improve my quality of life.

I'm sure if it's just a random breakout every now and again, OTC products will do just fine. But if you're suffering from a sad, cystic, pressure-filled face as I was, you may want to seek a dermatologist's opinion.

That said, for my everyday cleanser, I use Evan Healy's Rose Cleansing Milk. It's awesome. Non-drying and seems to be doing a better job at staving off mini hormonal breakouts than my old John Masters Organics bearberry foaming cleanser.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am in the same boat.
my issue is primarily, leave my skin the hell alone. it is not easy for me to do.
i have a homemade face wash i use, or i use oil cleansing [it's getting cold, almost time to switch over]. oil cleansing means i don't have to use moisturizer in the AM.
i have a generic hypoallergenic cream. that, as well as clay mask to dry up pimples and the occasional papaya mask or exfoliant scrub once in a while, is OK. but no matter what i do, once a month it is a battlefield.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 am 

stellamarie wrote:
I am turning 40 this year and my face still will break out if I am not super careful with skin care. I was using Aveda (I know some people don't like Aveda) exfoliant which is 2% salicylic acid and worked well enough. I ran out of Aveda and no time to wait on an order, so I went to the shops and bought Clarins gentle exfoliant:

http://www.sparklyvodka.com/2013/03/cla ... g.html?m=1

Mine says WhiteFX on the bottle, I think it says BrightFX in the US and nothing in the EU. Anyway it blows the Aveda out of the water. It has salicylic plus several other AHAs but it is not harsh at all. I have not had a single new spot since I started using it. It's twice as expensive as the aveda but I think it's worth it. I'm actually getting nice comments on my skin. I am not sure if Clarins sells in China but as far as I know it's vegan and not tested.

Other things I do: double cleanse (coconut oil to dissolve sunscreen then wash with cleanser), exfoliate with scrub in shower every day (in addition to the liquid exfoliant).

I actually have that toner since my pregan days. I have gone back to using it two or 3 times a week and it has helped.

I use Simple light moisturiser on my face. Face seems to be clearing up bar around the hairline where I don't get to use face products. I'm using Big shampoo and conditioner so I don't think it is them that is causing the problem especially since they don't run down my chest when I am washing it off.

My shower gel is really gentle and I've been using it years so that isn't agravating my chest.

It is so bad that today I was nearly in tears at the sight of it because it is so noticeable. It isn't even hormone related because it is always spotty and not just when I'm premenstrual. I had taken a photo of my chest this morning but now I'm after losing the phone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

same thing here! i was put on Nicomide, a supplement of zinc and two other minerals/vitamins. I also am using the whole foods 365 cetaphil knockoff as my moisturizer and wash. My skin improved drastically.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:39 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

daisychain wrote:
It isn't even hormone related because it is always spotty and not just when I'm premenstrual.

it doesn't have to be premenstrual. my face seems to act up around ovulation, and gets better once my estrogen goes down/progesterone goes up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:46 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
daisychain wrote:
It isn't even hormone related because it is always spotty and not just when I'm premenstrual.

it doesn't have to be premenstrual. my face seems to act up around ovulation, and gets better once my estrogen goes down/progesterone goes up.

Oh! I will keep an eye out for that. Although now my phone is missing I haven't a clue where in my cycle I am. Gah!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:22 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

This stuff (I've tried a number of products in their line and this particular one especially) is working great for keeping my skin looking nice, getting rid of the acne that looks the worst. However I'm also a suffer of that deep painful cystic acne and like alice1derland says I believe that kind needs prescription strength stuff. I have a prescription all written out for me for it but before I get it I really want to try my theory that it gets better when it gets a lot of sun, and since my back is the problem area it's been hard to make that happen. Painful cystic back sucks balls but I know I'm lucky it's not my face so I'm a little more willing to wade it out, if it was my face I'd have been on meds for it years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:06 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh man Daisy (and everybody else!) I understand how a spotty face can just make you miserable. It's a horrible feeling because it makes you feel helpless against the stupid things. They just keep coming! I am assuming this is not the deep cystic doctor kind of acne (if it is that of course ak and mars are right, go to the derm).

I use that Clarins toner twice a day and I use it on my chest as well. Since you have it anyway maybe try using it more often, and on your chest too?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:39 am 

I might use it more often. I was told to be careful using it too much though. Apparently you can sunburn really easy on it and I am already super pale.

I think some of the spots could be considered cystic acne. The ones on my chest are fairly small at the moment but ones that were on my face where large enough and lasted on average 2-3 months. Not the typical pimple that was gone in a few days. I'm thinking of going back on the contraceptive pill to see if it will help. It certainly did when I was a teen and my problem was a lot more severe then.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I second the Alba Acnedote line recommendation. I use the scrub and the moisturizer from that line with the Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions toner (if I remember right I picked that over the Alba because it has a lower percentage of salicylic acid and I didn't want to overdo it with the scrub and moisturizer too) and store brand Cetaphil from Target and it mostly keeps my stupid cystic adult acne at bay. Unless I use makeup with talc in it, then I break out like it's my job.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:47 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh gosh if you've had one for 3 months - have you ever asked your derm about Kenalog shots? That spot will be gone the next day. I wouldn't get a shot every time any spot showed up but wow, 3 months is way beyond ordinary. I am sorry you are dealing with that, so upsetting!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:59 am 

Kenalog is gone off the market here. I used to get that for my hayfever and anytime I had a bit too much dairy but now it is gone. Yeah, they definitely aren't run of the mill pimples that are gone in a few days. They like me so much that they hang around forever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:08 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't have cystic acne, just garden variety breakouts and blackheads, but I started using the Clairsonic Mia and really, in 2 weeks I can tell the difference. I was previously exfoliating too aggressively which was making things worse; this is gentle enough to use everyday. Its a little spendy though - I got mine from Amazon for $95.

I also like the alba botanicals toner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:19 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yes! the hibiscus toner? it works so well! (i rarely use it because it's so spendy. :-( but that means my face is always messy) i stocked up when CVS had a clearance for 50% off (but that means CVS no-longer carries it.)

recyclebank has a $2/1 alba coupon for 40 points (here's my referral link if you're not a member yet. i'll get 25 points) https://rcycle.it/h2g9h you can find it under the earth month link. https://www.recyclebank.com/rewards/earth-month-2013

i've been more using the dickinson toner since it's less expensive. that works, but only so much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 pm 

My dear chest. Most of these are about 3 weeks old or more. Not sore just ugly but at least they are small. I used to get monster sized ones. Put in a spoiler for those who are squeamish.
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This is a holy grail for me. Also making sure I am moisturized helps. I don't have a fav one right now but am currently using Derma E Vitamin A and Green Tea Moisturizer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:02 pm 

So despite using the face wash on my chest religiously my spots that had been slowly quietening down have become red, large and angry looking again. All the same ones again along with a few new additions. I'm ovulating at present so it does seem to be hormone related. Going to make a doctors appointment for next week and go back on the contraceptive pill.

Someone recommended using bread soda made into a paste on them as well so tried that out this evening.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my skin was really nice for a while but now the weather has definitely changed and rosacea just came banging on the door. along with stress, too much booze [medicinal use only of course] and lack of sleep. i look like a pimply teenager with wrinkles.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:40 am 
Not NOT A Furry

For seemingly no reason, my acne - which has been under control for a while - has FLARED up badly. Kid I babysat asked if I had chickenpox.

Aaaand I've just moved house so don't have a doctors yet. And my closest doctors is "full". And I'm getting married in two months and it's looking likely I'll be a spotty wreck then! Grr.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:38 pm 

I'm starting to think I should have put this in the general health!

I've finally caved and realised that beauty products aren't going to cut it and I've booked in to see my GP on Friday. I don't want to risk having these spots for any longer or waiting to see if things work because I don't want to end up with more scarring. I'm going to ask to be put back on the contraceptive pill and hopefully some medicated cream or potion or miracle cure.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:48 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My acne has been so much worse lately and I really don't know why. I have been using the Alba acne scrub and it definitely helps, but I am still getting some spots! I really wish I knew what was causing it.

daisychain, hope your GP suggests something good for you... when I was on the pill my skin was perfectly clear, but it also made my boobs swell up and gave me insane mood swings. Uh... fun?