| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adult Acne
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh God! Last time I was on it I was fine thankfully. It is a super low dose one because I get migraines on a higher one.

I think my taxes where worked out wrong by the governments automated system. Going in to see today if I am actually due a refund. If I am I'm due back a good wack of money so will be treating myself to a really good moisturiser since I've been slumming it with cheap stuff.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:14 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i've been taking NOW's thyroid support supplement every morning (i tend to only take 1 pill, even though they say to take 2 divided doses. mostly because i don't remember to take the 2nd, and i also don't want to take it when i've eaten something that inhibits iodine absorption), and only one and a half weeks in, my face is looking better (and, it's even around ovulation time!! i got one whitehead yesterday, but that's SOOOO much better than months past.

(thyroid sluggishness is linked to acne, among lots of other things. i easily hadn't been eating many iodine rich things since i became veg in 1996. oops! sorry thyroid. i hope you don't hate me.)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Right, I was put back on the pill and given an over the counter cream. Next option after this is oral antibiotics. He would normally go for topical antibiotics but there is too much of a large area to cover. Hoping the combination of over the counter cream and the pill work.

Next pay I will try get a toner with some tea tree in it.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:50 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I just filled my prescription for a medicated cream! I was thinking I wasn't going to need it but argh it's annoying. My back just feels so tight and... pulsating... haha. Ew.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:39 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aw! We start treatment on the same day Mars!

I've a few pimples coming up this morning thanks to my period being a few days away. Roll on period so I can go on dianette! Hopefully next month I will see a difference because hormones won't be bothering it. I know the ones I have will probably take 2-3 months to go but at least I shouldn't get new ones.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I get healthcare soon! I can't wait to go to the dr's for this! I went to the store and the cashier commented on something I was buying for my acne and said oh man this stuff is awesome!!! But i don't really want to talk about my acne.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I would totally be the same. I think I would grab my stuff and run.

So, my cream destroyed my pillowcases. Turned them from purple to fluorescent pink. It didn't wash off so it is like the colour bleached out of it. I learned quick and used old pillow cases last night.

I had a duh! moment yesterday. When I was washing my hands I was eyeing myself up in the bathroom mirror and though WOW! my skin is already nearly clear!!!! Then I realised I had put on foundation about 2 hours beforehand because I had run out to do a bit of shopping.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:58 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

yeah benzoyl peroxide will bleach stuff. there's also a school of thought that you should never sleep on a pillowcase that has been used before. so some people put down a towel and then flip it the next night. they make benzoyl peroxide resistant towels now too.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

yeah benzoyl peroxide will bleach stuff. there's also a school of thought that you should never sleep on a pillowcase that has been used before. so some people put down a towel and then flip it the next night. they make benzoyl peroxide resistant towels now too.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:14 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Lesson learned I tell ya! Didn't do anything at all to the old pillowcase. I'm hoping the shop where I got the destroyed ones still have that colour in stock. Luckily I have another set the same colour but I like when I change them on a Sunday I have the clean set ready to go on.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

also, from my daughter who uses benzoyl peroxide, i've learned that hand towels in the bathroom also get bleached/discolored.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I use white towels and they are looking a bit grey lately..... maybe it will bring them back to white!

I noticed my face is sweating a heck of a lot more.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

The stuff I'm using is called Tretinoin Cream. We'll see!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:26 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

supercarrot wrote:
daisychain wrote:
It isn't even hormone related because it is always spotty and not just when I'm premenstrual.

it doesn't have to be premenstrual. my face seems to act up around ovulation, and gets better once my estrogen goes down/progesterone goes up.

I find this to be true for me as well.

I try to be careful not to eat things that mess with my hormones around these times in my cycle (soy, caffeine, chocolate, etc)

If this hasn't been said already; if you have a real stubborn acne problem, especially cystic acne, try acne.org's benzoyl peroxide!!! (it's vegan) I've struggled with really stubborn cystic acne since I was a teen, and this is literally the only thing that has ever helped me. I was very resistant to using something that I had thought was so harsh, but if you start off with small amounts and moisturize a lot your skin will be fine. My skin is very sensitive and sometimes even dry, and it can handle this gel based BP. I've never had any problems with bleaching anything (and I have dark red pillowcases!) Someone on PPK recommended this BP to me and I'm so glad I tried it. I also love their AHA lotion which helps breakouts as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mars wrote:
The stuff I'm using is called Tretinoin Cream. We'll see!

Ah yeah, I've used that stuff. Worked for me. Right now I use erythromycin (a topical antibiotic, I believe), sufacetamide lotion, and (the generic) Differin – all generic, thank god. It is a joyous routine. Be grateful you have just one medication! hah

Also, for what it's worth, I used a benzoyl peroxide face wash when my skin was REALLY bad, and then weaned myself off to a natural cleanser when my skin started to clear up substantially. I couldn't handle it in the long term – smelled too bleachy and ruined my towels. My new routine doesn't bleach anything and no weird smells are involved, so I'm good with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm finding the smell really bothersome too. Not overly keep on it because of smelling strongly of chemicals at work. I've a lot of area to cover with it...... face, neck, shoulders and chest (down as far as nipple line hence why the doctor wouldn't give me the option of topical antibiotic. I might just stick to using it in the night during the week. Also gone a bit on the red side on my chest. I don't have much acne where I've gone red so I am going to leave it alone for the next few days.

Period is due in the next 2 days so I will be starting on the Dianette then. Once I'm on that things should start subsiding.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Started the dianette this morning. Hopefully it starts working quick because the benzoyl peroxide is starting to dry out my skin.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:32 pm 

i know this is a common sense kind of thing, but just in case it hadn't occurred to you. are you washing and conditioning your hair before washing the rest of your body, or the other way around?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:06 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Quote:
A thyme-based tincture has proven to be a more effective topical solution without side effects than benzoyl peroxide creams, according to recent research at Leeds Metropolitan University in Leeds, UK. The thyme tinctures, not essential oils, proved highly effective at soothing the skin and killing the Propionibacterium acne.

In addition to the healing and antiseptic attributes of the herb thyme, the alcohol base used for the tincture adds more antiseptic qualities. The tincture can be applied with a cotton ball, gauze, or sprayed on from a mist spray bottle.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035869_acne_ ... z2U3dr58db

I'm going to be trying this! I've been having great success (my skin is almost totally clear, only 2- 3 pimples at a time, far fewer black heads, less greasy, etc.) with Home Health's Blemish Clearing Lotion (really more of a toner) and using jojoba oil with a drop of oil of oregano to moisturize at night. But, this sounds VERY promising and very non-toxic!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

supercarrot wrote:
i know this is a common sense kind of thing, but just in case it hadn't occurred to you. are you washing and conditioning your hair before washing the rest of your body, or the other way around?

Before so I can make sure I have all the shampoo and conditioner washed off my body properly. I used to have super sensitive skin a few years back and so in that habit since.

Major improvement in my skin in the past week. I may have spent most of the day looking at my chest in the mirror. Also, my skin isn't as dry today.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:07 pm 

*thumbs up* on both accounts. :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:48 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Can't get over the improvement in my chest even though I've only been using the cream at night. My face has been a bit slower to come along though.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Looking sooooo much better. I had makeup on this evening and had to pin my fringe back because it is getting too long. When I got home I totally had a "wow" moment over my forehead. Instead of it looking bumpy and all sorts of weird colours it looked only a bit bumpy and my normal pasty white colour! So happy. Definitely a pick me up after a crepe day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i like how my skin has gotten worse since i stopped drinking and smoking :/

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Has anyone ever tried this stuff Femmenessence?

http://www.naturalhi.com/products/MacaHarmony.aspx

I don't have acne issues now, but I'm thinking about going off the pill sometime in the next few months. I'm trying to proactively research ways to balance hormones and possibly avoid getting bad acne if/when I do stop the pill. I read some interesting reviews of this stuff online but no idea if they're paid reviewers or whatever. It's made of maca root, apparently.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next