| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pizzas at wholefoods (counting cheez as a "topping" now.)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

the BOGO tuesday pizzas were always a pretty good deal. you'd get 2 pizzas with 4 toppings for like $18. not bad.

i called today and now they're calling the vegan cheese a topping. (at least at my store) "well it costs $5 a bag" yeah, but it's not like you're using cow cheese along with the vegan cheese. i have no idea how much the cow cheese costs, but that's still a deduction when you're not putting it on the pizza.

also, i highly doubt they're opening a new retail bag for each pair of vegan pizzas ordered. surely they're using the less expensive bulk daiya. (they're a business, and they're wise. they wouldn't make a faux pas such as using individual retail packs, would they? is it possible they have no idea they can freeze the daiya if they're afraid they won't go through the bulk container before it goes bad?)

bleh. i just needed to rant. vegan taxes suck. it's like those taxes they charge people "for the privilege of working in the city" (kinda)

now i have to make the decision whether 2 pizzas with only 3 toppings is worth the $18. (usually the pizzas are undercooked, and once i found a piece of sausage on it. that was highly unpleasant. and sometimes the dough tastes overwhelmingly of seaweed.)

Post subject: Re: pizzas at wholefoods (counting cheez as a "topping" now.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Just skip the pizza and get the General Tso's Chick'n.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 pm 
And you never will.

Boo. My WF doesn't do BOGO, just charges an assload for their precious pizzas and have always charged extra for the Daiya (like, they ring up the pizza, then they ring up the retail bag of Daiya, and charge for both). And they dump an entire retail bag of Daiya on one pizza which is kind of gross.

ETA: and they don't have General Tso's Chick'n either! My WF kind of sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

If the Whole Foods near me didn't have General Tso's Chick'n I would probably move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:45 pm 

poopie, that's horrible! talk about making you feel like you're inconveniencing them. yikes! (and a whole bag on one pizza? ack! hello toilet, my best friend. let's hang out for a few hours.)

taco, i don't think my WF has general tso's. (does your store use beyond meat?) mine does have some really tasty lettuce wraps though. but it's not something i'd eat if i were in the mood for a pizza. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:57 pm 
And you never will.

supercarrot wrote:
poopie, that's horrible! talk about making you feel like you're inconveniencing them. yikes! (and a whole bag on one pizza? ack! hello toilet, my best friend. let's hang out for a few hours.)

Yes! They even tape the empty Daiya bag to the pizza box (to prove they used it? I don't know). It's so weird.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

The one in Oakland sells vegan pizza by the slice - I do not notice a price difference and they always give us a free slice...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I really wouldn't complain about most of this. Pizza Fusion just closed all locations here, and WF doesn't have vegan pizza at all. Best I can do is a Tofurkey unless I make it myself.

The Pizza Fusion thing was a thoroughly nasty surprise as I went to get a pizza after working 4 hrs to grade late crepe that kids turned in like they were doing ME a favor. Expensive, but it was good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm 

tofurky pizzas are worse. a tiny little thing for what, $7? and the crust is pretty solid. like cardboard.

sorry your pizza fusion locations closed down. :-(

it's more the "vegan tax" i'm complaining about more than anything. it's frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I agree. I've done more than my share of bisqueing about Starbucks and soy milk.

I'm just in such a vegan pizza void, that I really wouldn't complain about much.

The Tofurkey pizzas are $8.99 here. Ridiculous, really, but I buy them anyway as a super special treat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:03 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

All frozen vegan pizzas are about $8 here. I think they taste nasty for the most part. WF & TJs has vegan dough for about $3 a ball...You can DIY it, if you are not into making the dough yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, making pizza isn't hard, but sometimes you just want ready made.

I always have pizza sauce, bread machine dough, Daiya, and Yves pepperoni in the freezer, but it's not the same.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 pm 

salt on an already open wound: they ran out of daiya, so they used galaxy. (and i've been wanting to try it since they reformulated... but it turns out it still has the consistency of paste. runny oily paste.)

i think i might just make my own from now on. (i always preferred deep dish anyway. $18 is a hard pill to swallow when you can make it yourself for about $7 i'm out of work, so it's not like i don't have the time. also this way i'm guaranteed not to get paste pizza.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

MMmm. Deep dish. I haven't had that since being vegan. I'm kinda scared to try, cuz I lived in Chicago and all, so...

I can make two pizzas for $10, easy. I bake a lot, so the dough ingredients are negligible, I stock up on crushed tomatoes for Isa sauce when they are super cheap, so most of the money is $4.99 for Daiya and 3.99 for pepperoni. I'll toss on red onion and mushrooms too, if I already have them. I get two large pizzas plus a small tortilla pizza from a bag of Daiya. I only like just enough to make it cheesy. The pepperoni is good for at least 3 pizzas usually.

Now I want pizza.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

This kind of crepe irritates me. I mean, we already pay full price for pizzas with no cheese (wherever you order from). It's along the lines of Starbucks charging extra for soymilk. You're not using the regular milk, and soymilk lasts longer! What the hell?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, and if I can buy cartons of organic silk at Costco for $1 each, a corporation with the purchasing power of SB can do much, much better. That's why it peas me off so much. They aren't recouping their "losses" as they pretend: they are turning a decent profit off soy drinks when they should be aiming to break even in the interest of good service. It's not like iced lattes are a freaking low profit margin item anyway.

Grrr. But, damn, I will miss my morning lattes. Which only makes me grumpier.

Most pizza places will at least sub extra veggies for no cheese though. The local place in my college town gave me mushrooms and pineapple instead, and they weren't stingy. So, that rocked. (don't mock; pineapple and mushroom is an AWESOME combination)

*Ive just has a flash forward to my grumpy old age. I'm going to be all SPRING on the SB/soy milk issue. Not cool. I better find some new hobbies, stat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 pm 
Semen Strong

I am still annoyed at SB. I got in line for a soy latte as a special treat for a shitty day, and then realized that with the soy milk surcharge, my drink would be nearly $5. So for $2 extra I could get a burrito.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My favorite drink, an iced venti decaf with soy and one-two measly pumps of syrup is $5.83. It used to be almost $1 less. Tasty, but not worth it. I don't mind profit margins etc etc, but I do mind feeling screwed every time I buy something.

It's not just them, of course. I bought one at Wegmans cafe a couple weeks ago and it was around the same price. SB just lulled me into complacency, suckered me into doing the preloaded card thing, and then assumed they could shake me down for an extra $1/day and their loyal customers would just suck it up. They could have taken away the free drink every 15 times and I wouldnt have bitched, but taking away every single perk in one fell swoop was really obnoxious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 pm 

wanna know how i do pizza? instead of crushed tomatoes, i use tomato paste. (if you get it on sale, you can stock up for .25 each. SCORE!) just spread the paste on the dough, sprinkle with a bit of oregano and whatever other spices you want and then go ahead with your cheese and stuff. it's perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'll try that next time I'm really lazy or just do a tortilla pizza. I really love Isa sauce though; it's so tasty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 pm 
Semen Strong

The only thing that makes veganism hard for me is the loss of convenience. I don't want to make my own pizza. I want to order it, pay a fair price and eat it. Like everyone else in America. It represents the universal cheapest, easiest option for omnis - tired, have 20 people to feed on a shoe string, can't be bothered to cook? - get pizza. I miss that convenience. And the vegan tax just rankles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:
The only thing that makes veganism hard for me is the loss of convenience. I don't want to make my own pizza. I want to order it, pay a fair price and eat it. Like everyone else in America. It represents the universal cheapest, easiest option for omnis - tired, have 20 people to feed on a shoe string, can't be bothered to cook? - get pizza. I miss that convenience. And the vegan tax just rankles.

Truth, the convenience factor is the one thing that makes veganism hard for me, especially living in a town with few vegan options. I love love love love to cook, and generally I prefer what I cook to what I could get out, but sometimes I just want to order takeout and not have to worry about it, damnit!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 am 

I think the best bet here (and please excuse this if you've already done this to TPTB/customer service) is to file an official complaint. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:16 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Tofulish wrote:
The only thing that makes veganism hard for me is the loss of convenience. I don't want to make my own pizza. I want to order it, pay a fair price and eat it. Like everyone else in America.

^This, I like things I can pop in the microwave. I want easy access to taquitos, pizza bagels, and other things without driving completely out of the way or paying a butt load.

supercarrot wrote:
taco, i don't think my WF has general tso's. (does your store use beyond meat?) mine does have some really tasty lettuce wraps though. but it's not something i'd eat if i were in the mood for a pizza. :-)

No it's not beyond meat. It's more of a ball of soy protein and it's the BOMB. But Roots, a grocery store that is pretty far out of the way, uses beyond meat to make a really awesome BBQ chick'n.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I had to stop with the WF pizzas because the cheese issues pissed me off too much. Once the didn't charge us, the next time they charged us for a whole retail bag of Daiya on top of the pizza cost, and a third time I specifically requested Daiya vegan cheese and they decided to substitute with the non-vegan almond shreds. When I politely told them we weren't paying for a non-vegan pizza, they gave me serious attitude. So it's homemade pizzas for us now.