| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Editing your Wardrobe
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Bumping because I've sort of screwed myself on this. I hardcore purged most of the ratty clothes and the stuff I never wore. I made a list of what my ideal (pretty minimalist) wardrobe would look like and swore off buying cheap crepe. My plan is to replace things as needed with stuff that's better quality and fits in with my wardrobe plan. Great! However. I got rid of pretty much all my warm weather clothes (which needed to happen) and haven't replaced anything. So now it's like 90 degrees out and I have nothing to wear. I was roasting yesterday in a long sleeved shirt. At least I resisted the urge to buy a super not-me $10 tank top out of desperation.

Complicating everything is that my clothes have to work for breastfeeding, which is annoying. I either need stuff with buttons, low necklines or that I can layer. Blah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i last posted in this thread over a year ago, and i'm pretty sure i haven't done any wardrobe editing at all in that time. eek.

my biggest problems right now are my t-shirts. holy crepe i love to buy t-shirts (usually message shirts or shirts with a cute design on them), and i never ever want to get rid of any of them, which is dumb. so i need to sort that out pronto.

i also need to deal with my sock drawer, my underwear drawer, and my closet. i keep adding things to the closet, but not taking out the things i admittedly haven't worn in years. blerg.

i downloaded the unfuck your habitat app, and i plan to use that method (the 20/10 or the 45/15 thing) to tackle some of these problems as soon as i'm done with my summer school grading.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

i'm really good on keeping my actual wardrobe edited, because i pretty much only ever wear:
1. scrubs/long-sleeved tissue tee at work
2. yoga pants/long-sleeve tissue tee at home
3. one of four black dresses (sleeveless, short-sleeved, 3/4-length, long-sleeved) or two sweater dresses for going out or traveling
4. jeans (three pairs) with boatneck 3/4-length shirt (three) for just normal stuff

i know, it's boring, but i'm not really into patterns, or ruffles, or dots, and all the colors i love look awful on me because i'm super pale. i don't really like shopping anyway. for me to buy something i have to imagine myself wanting to travel with it, since i always pack my favorite items, but they also have to be both comfortable, flattering, and versatile. that makes a pretty good measuring stick for whether or not i want to keep something in the closet.

my trouble definitely comes with the t-shirts though. i have tons and tons of them, and i never wear them. i don't think i ever even used to wear them that much, i just seem to have accumulated them over the years at shows or on vacation or wherever, and now i don't want to toss them. i keep trying to trick myself into thinking that i don't actually loathe sewing and that i'll make this quilt out of them:

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/45413/ ... e/page/all

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I have seasonal wardrobes ... 24th May to Labour Day summer garb Labour Day to 24th May winter wear ...
now that I live in England the seasons are not as defined as when I lived in Canada but I find it helps with keeping things in order ... out of season things go in a cedar lined trunk.
I wear the same colours all the time with the tones changing ... greens, tans, browns, creams ...
I have jeans, t-shirts/sweatshirts for off work wear, formal dinner frocks and now wear dresses to work ... they are so easy ... just one thing to put on!
my winter shoes / boots are all black but in summer I have sandals of all colours ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

beasknees, i was just thinking about that quilt reading your post!

I put half of my wardrobe away this winter to see what i missed, it's been enlightening.