| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Items & tips for efficient air travel packing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For those of you who travel periodically (especially with carry-on luggage only), how do you maximize the tiny amount of luggage space allowed while still dressing fashionably?

The idea of getting extra stuff to aid with efficient packing seems sort of counter-intuitive, since the idea is to bring as little stuff as possible due to baggage weight/size limits, but in some cases it really is useful (like getting small jars to decant beauty products or vitamins into instead of bringing the whole full-sized thing).

Do you have any tips for packing efficiently? Or can you suggest any items that have made your travel experience easier (or more comfortable)?

Post subject: Re: Items & tips for efficient air travel packing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I bring outfits for only half my trip and re-wear everything at least once. For women, dresses are a huge space saver, since you're not packing a bunch of separates. On a recent 6 day trip I brought 2 casual dresses, one formal dress (for a wedding), one pair of shorts, one blouse, and two cardigans. This work especially well if you won't be around the same people the entire time, but no one will care if you wear the same shirt twice in a week.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

For carry-on to avoid the annoying liquid thing, I use the deodorant crystal, and toothpaste powder, and a shampoo bar. I also use coconut oil as a moisturizer, and if frozen before flight, will pretty much be a solid. I do decant into a small container. I almost always carry on luggage, and definitely do with fewer clothes. Wear on the flight your bulkier items, even if it means a little extra time in security. If you are taking 2 pairs of shoes and one pair is boots, definitely wear the boots. Wear your jacket or bulkiest outer layer and put into overhead if you don't need it on the flight. Coordinate the travel wardrobe so that it's based around a single color--black is obviously easiest and probably doesn't get noticed as much if you wear it repeatedly.

also there is a folding method (video on youtube) that many people swear by. you layer everything in a certain order then fold over each item one at a time creating a single bundle in a weave. the people who made that video are also selling all sorts of travel clothes and bags. I've done the folding method for longer trips and it works pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, I always wear my bulkiest stuff on the plane. It can be a bit cumbersome in the summer, but it works!

For the next trip I'm taking I'll be going away for 10 or 11 days. Which makes packing a little trickier. There are certain garments I can re-wear (like dresses and cardigans and stuff) but I'll need more of other things (like cosmetics and underpants) and I'll want to bring at least 2 pairs of shoes. I could probably figure out a way to do laundry mid-trip, but that might be sort of awkward schedule-wise.

The liquids rules are definitely the worst part of carry-on packing for me. Obviously you can decant face creams and stuff like that, and use bar soap instead of liquid, but some cosmetics are sort of impossible to repack (like mascara) and the tubes are usually designed with aesthetics in mind rather than portability. On that topic - do solid stick deodorants count as a "liquid/gel"? Obviously aerosols and roll-ons do, but I've never been quite sure if I was supposed to pack the plain old sticks in my liquids bag or not since they are basically solid. I always do, just because I don't want to get held up at security.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I usually just put all my liquids in my checked luggage. For the longest time my contact solution didn't come in little travel bottles, so I was doomed to have to check my luggage.

I always overpack, so I'm terrible at minimizing. I save all the small items till last and then shove them into whatever available space there is. Socks, undies and pajamas make great space fillers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I used to always check a bag, but now practically every domestic US airline charges for it, which is so stupid because people bringing more crepe on board increases the boarding time which I think would cost them money? JetBlue and Southwest still give you a free checked baggage allowance, but it is not always cost-effective or convenient schedule-wise for me to fly on one of those airlines (also, Southwest's boarding procedure is hellish, but that's another problem). Plus I remember the days before the current liquids restrictions... sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:07 pm 

Carryons are the way to go! I'm obsessed with traveling light and carrying everything on. A few thoughts: Solid stick deodorant and mascara are okay to carryon. A bar of shampoo can double for you to use to do laundry in a sink/bathtub. Roll your clothes to save space. Underwear, tank tops, socks, and tights are really easy to wash in sinks. Bring as little as possible. Always pack a swimsuit.
Here's a great tutorial: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/0 ... ck-ss.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

on the other side of the coin: if you have a ton to transport, shove it in a bike box and call it sporting gear. a lot of airlines won't even weigh it, and it only costs like $50 extra. bam.

p.s. I'm terrible at the carryon thing, even for short trips. not sure why, but I always prefer to czech things

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

molasses jane wrote:
Carryons are the way to go! I'm obsessed with traveling light and carrying everything on. A few thoughts: Solid stick deodorant and mascara are okay to carryon. A bar of shampoo can double for you to use to do laundry in a sink/bathtub. Roll your clothes to save space. Underwear, tank tops, socks, and tights are really easy to wash in sinks. Bring as little as possible. Always pack a swimsuit.
Here's a great tutorial: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/0 ... ck-ss.html

I saw that slideshow before, love it! I also saw a similar tutorial on some blog (can't remember where) where the person rolled up all of her like items (shirts with shirts, dresses with dresses etc) into big burritos. I'm not sure if that's a more efficient use of space than rolling everything individually, but it seems like a good way to stay organized at least.

I looked up the deodorant thing and there is a blog post on the official TSA website saying that solid stick deodorant is allowed in any size, but I feel like it might be one of those things where an individual TSA agent might try to take it away if they're power-tripping that day. Then again, I accidentally went through security last time I flew with hand lotion and lip gloss not in my baggie, so maybe they're not super-strict about that stuff everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm short and always prefer to check (especially if it's free). I have stood on chairs so many, many times and even when people are helpful, I find it awkward because I'd prefer to do it myself.
Anyway, I will say that I'm not stylish, BUT, if I can afford to, I enjoy using trips out of town as an excuse to hit thrift stores (or even an H&M) to buy a new shirt or dress or skirt and add that into my trip wardrobe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Oh, make sure to pack small items in your shoes (socks, jewelry, chargers). Shoes take up a lot of space!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I haven't seen the videos mentioned but I lay the first garment out flat, then put all additional items on top smoothing the creases out of each one as I go. If anything has a tendency to crease I'll put a layer of that polythene sheet you get on dry cleaned clothes between the layers. Then I put soft things like underwear, tights, socks and swimwear on top of the pile at shoulder level and fold any long sleeves over the soft stuff. Finally I roll it all into a big sausage, starting at the shoulders. My o/h swears by my technique as he never has to iron his shirts etc when he arrives on business trips.

I always bring a space bag / packamate bag (the type you roll to squeeze the air out of) for minimising the laundry on the way back as I usually have to fit things I've bought on the trip into the case.

Regarding solid deodorant I'd be cautious because they might consider it a paste. Although my o/h sometimes leaves his entire toiletries bag in his case and they must see it when they scan the bag but he said they don't say anything. Once they tried to confiscate my vintage parasol as a 'sharp object' until I insisted on seeing the supervisor who told the guy not to be so stupid!

Many electrical items now come with slot on international plug ends so it's worth keeping these somewhere safe as it can save space on packing big adapter plugs.

I like to print out close up maps of places I intend to go too (esp vegan eateries as they an be hard to find) so I don't have to bring a bulky guide book.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:03 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Holy crepe! That stewardess packs about twice as much as I even own! I guess this explains my initial reaction of "I'd never be able to go 10 days without doing laundry". I don't know the regulations on the airlines you use, but I imagine weight being more restrictive than space. Here airlines typically allow 8 kg (17.6 lbs) carry-on and one airline I used to fly only allowed 5 kg (11 lbs). Internet also tells me that I pack the military way...

To answer your question the short answer is: I don't. What I do is that I never bring more than one pair of shoes in my luggage (wearing an additional pair of course, for short trips this will be my only pair of shoes), re-wear stuff like trousers/skirts and cardigans (I do that at home too). Only pack stuff that can be worn with any other item (unless the trip includes some sort of special event) and generally only bring the necessities.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh, I travel a lot, almost always carry on, including a ridiculously large laptop, 1-2 iPads, portable battery charger, and personals. And FOOD. always bring vegan food like bars and jerky.

Some really good advice in this thread! Here are mine

- wear bulkiest, carry jacket
- bar shampoo, small containers of cosmetics (moisturizers, perfume etc) you can buy special small containers
- re use clothes. Especially jeans, slacks, sweaters. Bring a travel sized laundry/no wrinkle spray
- layering is your friend! Tanks, camisole, sweater, tshirt combos galore
- dresses are great, take small space
- bring only one extra pair of shoes, unless they are flats.
- get a backpack or something you can fit everything in, as your 'personal item'. I have this cool laptop case that fits laptop, iPads, chargers, AND my huge purse in it. This way I can carry on suitcase, laptop case AND purse, which is in the case. I have a similar backpack, special for laptops.
- when you think you are done packing, take two items of clothing out. You don't need them.
- packing to go home is harder. Clothes are wrinkled, and will take up more room. So leave extra room

Honestly though, I have made some investments to travel like this...laptop bag etc. i travel enough, that when i shop for clothes, i always keep packing in mind. if I was going for 10+ days, I would check a bag. But I have done it, and usually regretted it. You can't buy anything and bring it back. That sucks.

Don't worry bout deodorant, toothpaste, mascara etc. TSA doesn't care bout that stuff. shiitake, I often (accidentally) make it through with box cutters in my bad after trade shows, which is alarming.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

fruitbat wrote:
I don't know the regulations on the airlines you use, but I imagine weight being more restrictive than space. Here airlines typically allow 8 kg (17.6 lbs) carry-on and one airline I used to fly only allowed 5 kg (11 lbs). Internet also tells me that I pack the military way...

Yeah, I've noticed that many airlines outside the US are far more strict about weighing carry-ons. Airlines here always have rules about maximum dimensions, but I think many of them don't even have specific rules about carry-on baggage weight other than "Use common sense". If you're just packing clothes and shoes into a 22" inch long bag it's unlikely it's going to end up being more than 20 lbs or so anyway, so I'm not especially worried about my bag being too heavy.

Another thing I thought of... if you have to bring electronics, make it as portable as possible! Obviously a lot of people are already doing that because they already have smartphones and tablets and stuff, but it's good to be mindful of how many gizmos you're packing and how they add up weight-wise. I have a netbook I bought in 2008, which means it's hardly cutting-edge in terms of computing now, but it's small and light (small enough to fit in a medium-sized purse) and perfectly serviceable for web surfing/word processing/watching the occasional video (which is what I got it for). It cost about £150 when I bought it, but it is one of the best purchases I ever made in terms of space-saving (since my main laptop weighed like 10 lbs). I even brought it to use as my primary computer on a 4 month trip. Nowadays tablet PCs are probably the best bet if you just want something light to use for casual computing, but I will continue to use that little netbook until it dies. I had to get a new battery for it ($15), but otherwise it's still going strong.

If you do have a smartphone or tablet that's capable of playing video, it's a good idea to get one of those little USB external battery pod things. They're like $10 and you can generally get 1-2 phone charges out of it, which is good if you're watching videos/playing games on your phone the whole way there. It sort of sucks to have your phone die once you get off the plane and you're trying to coordinate where you're going and stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:12 pm 

Chicki wrote:
Oh, I travel a lot, almost always carry on, including a ridiculously large laptop, 1-2 iPads, portable battery charger, and personals. And FOOD. always bring vegan food like bars and jerky.

Some really good advice in this thread! Here are mine

- wear bulkiest, carry jacket
- bar shampoo, small containers of cosmetics (moisturizers, perfume etc) you can buy special small containers
- re use clothes. Especially jeans, slacks, sweaters. Bring a travel sized laundry/no wrinkle spray
- layering is your friend! Tanks, camisole, sweater, tshirt combos galore
- dresses are great, take small space
- bring only one extra pair of shoes, unless they are flats.
- get a backpack or something you can fit everything in, as your 'personal item'. I have this cool laptop case that fits laptop, iPads, chargers, AND my huge purse in it. This way I can carry on suitcase, laptop case AND purse, which is in the case. I have a similar backpack, special for laptops.
- when you think you are done packing, take two items of clothing out. You don't need them.
- packing to go home is harder. Clothes are wrinkled, and will take up more room. So leave extra room

Honestly though, I have made some investments to travel like this...laptop bag etc. i travel enough, that when i shop for clothes, i always keep packing in mind. if I was going for 10+ days, I would check a bag. But I have done it, and usually regretted it. You can't buy anything and bring it back. That sucks.

Don't worry bout deodorant, toothpaste, mascara etc. TSA doesn't care bout that stuff. shiitake, I often (accidentally) make it through with box cutters in my bad after trade shows, which is alarming.

This is all great advice.

And, really, the last part is true. I travel all the time, internationally and domestically, and not once have been stopped for mascara or even roll-on deodorant. So really, don't worry about those things.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:59 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think the TSA must just be more strict at the airports I tend to fly out of, because I've been stopped and searched before for far less offensive items... solid soap kept in a travel soap dish, Lush massage bars, a corkscrew etc. The only of those items I've had taken away was the corkscrew, but anything that causes the TSA to want to search my bag is bad news in my book. I actually know a guy though who made it through security with a 9" chef's knife in his bag... he forgot to take it out of his carry-on when he packed, and the TSA folks could spot something on the scanner so they stopped to search his bag, but it was tucked away in some side pocket so they weren't able to find anything after searching, so it ended up making it through security with him. Oops!

For a 10 day trip I'd rather fly with carry-on luggage only, then check a bag on the way back. Lost/delayed luggage is easier to deal with in your home city, and you can always pack an empty lightweight tote/duffel to fill with things you buy on your trip and/or were too lazy to pack properly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I noticed that my carry on case was not weighed here in Sydney or at any of the US airports that I flew out from (LA, PDX, NYC) and I was so worried about the weight of it but then it didn't seem to matter, so I wouldn't worry about the weight, unless you know your airport checks. I did make sure it fit the dimensions but again they never really looked at it, but it's not something I'd want to be picked on for.

I agree with making your personal item/bag as large as possible. I bought a massive handbag and that had my laptop/tablet, phone, camera, snacks, books, liquids in it and I was able to carry a lot of stuff. And I wore my biggest hoodie or just carried it over the handbag so I didn't have to pack it.

I read a bunch of posts on the TSA blog before I left incl. the one regarding solid deos, the TSA says they're ok but a few people commented about being told off for a. not putting it in with their liquids or b. for putting it in with their liquids. I really think it depends on the person you get on the day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:11 am 
Bathes in Braggs

fruitbat wrote:
Holy crepe! That stewardess packs about twice as much as I even own! I guess this explains my initial reaction of "I'd never be able to go 10 days without doing laundry". I don't know the regulations on the airlines you use, but I imagine weight being more restrictive than space. Here airlines typically allow 8 kg (17.6 lbs) carry-on and one airline I used to fly only allowed 5 kg (11 lbs). Internet also tells me that I pack the military way...

To answer your question the short answer is: I don't. What I do is that I never bring more than one pair of shoes in my luggage (wearing an additional pair of course, for short trips this will be my only pair of shoes), re-wear stuff like trousers/skirts and cardigans (I do that at home too). Only pack stuff that can be worn with any other item (unless the trip includes some sort of special event) and generally only bring the necessities.

I've been wondering if rewearing clothes is more a European thing. Seriously. When my brother lived in the US for a year and told me he had to change clothes every day we laughed about it. But I think it's getting more normal here, too.

I'm the same regarding packing. She basically just packed my whole wardrobe in that video.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Kitteh wrote:
I noticed that my carry on case was not weighed here in Sydney or at any of the US airports that I flew out from (LA, PDX, NYC) and I was so worried about the weight of it but then it didn't seem to matter, so I wouldn't worry about the weight, unless you know your airport checks.

I think it may be individual airlines rather than airports. I only got my hand luggage weighed once but I can't recall who I was flying with. It was as you came into the gate area so too damn late to repack at that stage as you've already checked your bigger bags - scary if you were over weight, what would you do! I used to put all my heavy crepe in hand luggage to keep my checked bag within the weight allowance but I'm more cautious now. I bring luggage scales with me to remove the stress of waiting til they weigh the case at check in to find out of they are okay! (Obviously more of an issue on the return flight if you've bought anything.)

I flew with Easyjet today and saw 'no weight limit' printed on the display where you put your case in a frame to see if it will fit. Several times I've seen people forced to repack bags at the check in desk and as late as the departure gate because they don't quite fit in this frame so I don't take any chances.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

(And I had to be able to fit my handbag into my case - only one item of hand baggage with this budget airline.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, I think some of those budget airlines have wised up to the fact that people were bringing "personal items" as large as their carry-on. Hence the need to consolidate. I've flown on EasyJet a few times and just ended up stuffing a bunch of crepe in my jacket pockets or even wearing a small purse under my (zipped) coat, haha. As my crazy dad always says, "They weigh your luggage but they don't weigh you!"

Here's another carry-on related question... does anyone know of any vegan-friendly personal care/cosmetics brands that sell stuff in travel size? It's obviously more economical to just rebottle stuff yourself, but that's not always possible. I've seen some Giovanni stuff on iHerb in 2oz size, any others?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The thing about that nytimes slideshow is that skinny people's clothes are smaller and take up less space than fat people's clothes. My clothes do not roll that small - they are at least twice as thick. I still swear by rolling. I have been rolling since summer camp when I packed into a duffel bag. My dad, a marine, would roll an entire outfit together, including socks and underwear, and tie the whole thing up with twine at the end. Then he could toss the whole bundle in and he would roll a bundle of extra t shirts together and throw in a handful of extra undies and socks. This works really well if you pack into a non structured bag.

I also like to pack an extra unstructured bag in case I need more packing space on the way back, and then I just check my regular bag. It sucks to have to take stuff in plastic bags as a carry on because you can't stow them above your seat.

I have seen Jason toothpaste in tester sizes. Our whole foods has a whole section of sample size products.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

It's true that you can probably pack more if you wear a small size, but I still think you can cram a bunch of stuff in in a larger size if you choose which garments to pack carefully. I wear an XL, but by choosing to wear tights and leggings instead of thick heavy jeans I save a lot of space. I also try to choose stuff with thinner fabrics and layer as opposed to packing big heavy sweaters and such. That obviously doesn't make sense in the winter, but for spring/summer travel it works very well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

Aveda salons get sample sizes here and there. They particularly have them around Christmas. They're not cheap, though.

This might kind of gross people out, but one thing that lightened my packing load was reducing how often I wash my hair. Not only will this save you luggage space, it'll save you time showering, allow you to straighten/curl/blowdry/whatever your hair much less often, and is apparently better for your hair long term. I discovered this kind of accidentally when my stylist told me I was shampooing my hair too often. I didn't think there was such a thing! So it seems obvious now, but this was like a revelation. Now I aim for once every 4 days, and your hair really does adapt to how often you wash it. After 4 days it's the same level of gross that it used to be after just 1. It's the world's easiest way to reclaim time in your day! But you have to scale back gradually. But anyway, bottles of hair product used to take up a lot of space. Now if I'm just going somewhere for a long weekend, I do my hair nicely before leaving and then don't worry about it at all.

For me, the achilles heel is always shoes. No matter what I'm packing for, it seems like I always need three pairs, minimum, in order not to compromise on activities or wardrobe. Though making sure all my pants hems are approx the same length means one pair of flats or heels is enough (but usually I still need both if I'm taking dresses or have any formal things).. I should probably get trail runners because I usually end up taking hiking boots and running shoes. Feh. I always feel like this if I try to pack just one pair of shoes: