| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Items & tips for efficient air travel packing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:34 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't wash my hair every day, but agreed that it does take up space. For a weekend getaway I'd probably leave the shampoo at home too. I'd love to find something that worked for me as a soap AND a shampoo AND a conditioner, but without conditioner my hair gets ultra-dry, and creamy soaps tend to make my skin break out. I totally have washed myself with shampoo in a pinch though, and of course it's silly to pack shaving cream (if you use it) because conditioner works really well.

That photo made me laugh because that pretty much sums it up for me. That or wearing hideous white sneakers with a black pinstripe job interview suit whilst carrying my day-glo orange canvas purse, which is perfect for travel but not quite perfect for matching clothes that aren't ultra casual.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I can't generally get by without at least washing my fringe (bangs) on the second day and all my hair on the third day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm also about a twice a week hair washer. I will generally avoid showering on a trip if it's only a weekend. I don't find that the things take p that much space though, just a tiny bottle each of shampoo and conditioner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

My rules: I downsize on my hair products and makeup - I'd be more comfortable if I brought more, but alas, I sacrifice in the name of space.
I use the clothes roll method and I bring skirts or jeans since I can wear those twice. If the climate will permit, I rely heavily on dresses, since those take up less space.
And most importantly for me, its all about the shoes. Depending on the length of the trip I plan all of my clothes around bringing no more than 2 pairs (1 if its a weekend jaunt somewhere).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've seen a few of you say dresses take up less space but I don't see how they can take up less space than tops as even a short dress is longer than a top. Are you wearing the dresses more than once? I generally can't get away with wearing a dress or a top twice without washing it in between so it seems more sensible to me to pack several tops and just one or two skirts instead of several dresses.

If I'm not going away for long I'll just bring the skirt or pair of trousers that I'm wearing and only pack tops. (If I'm going to be meeting people I will go for black because I think no one would notice I was wearing the same skirt/trousers whereas with a coloured or patterned skirt it would be very noticeable.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:03 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a packing list document on my computer which lists everything I might need for a trip (hat and scarf alongside sun cream, boots and socks alongside flip flops and a parasol). Whenever I need to go away I pull up the packing list and delete all the things I don't need for that trip (like I won't need the sat nav if I'm not taking the car) and print out the revised list while saving the original. It really takes the stress out of planning for me as I don't have to think about what I need to pack, I just check the list. At the bottom of the list I had reminders about all the stuff I might need to do depending on how long I'll be away for, like unplugging things, leaving a light on, watering plants, putting the bins out etc.

And the great thing is I can keep adding things to the master list - like recently when I was away I spent a lot of time going south instead of north when I came out of the metro (could not use the map on my phone because of data charges) so I decided to add a small compass to my packing list for next time I go somewhere similar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:22 am 
Chard Martyr

Dresses and tights. Zero shampoo. The hotel or the person you are staying with will have your back! Also, only one pair of shoes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Dry shampoo is awesome for travel. I also rarely condition my hair, so I don't bring conditioner. If I reaaaaaallly need it one day, I'll use the hotels (reluctantly, not sure of vegan or animal testing status)

Yes, I plan outfits around shoes.

I love the little sample cases they give you at lush. I put my moisturizer in there!

And yeah Americans are weird about re wearing clothes. My coworkers always travel with huge bags. I mentioned re wearing jeans, sweaters, skirts on trips, and they think I'm gross now. Jeez...I wore those jeans/slacks for 3 hours to dinner, I didn't run a marathon in them. They are FINE. I can wear them again. I space it out and hang them up in between wears. I also use laundry spray.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I seriously don't know Americans who are weird about rewearing clothes. It is commonly agreed that you wear jeans until they can stand up on their own or are exuding grease. And any bottoms can be worn at least three times. Outerwear (sweaters and jackets) can be worn repeatedly because they don't touch your skin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, I don't know if that's really an "American" thing so much as it's a "some people are high maintenance" thing. I say this as an American who has lived in America with many different American roommates, and I think the only real general consensus about re-wearing clothes is that you should probably change your socks and underpants every day (not that everybody really does that anyway), and it's OK to re-wear other stuff so long as it doesn't smell/isn't covered with visible dirt. I remember going to a sleepover work training for a week once with a carry-on sized bag and the idea in mind that I'd re-wear slacks and stuff, and there were people there who had the same amount of luggage as me and others who looked like they were moving in for a month. I think it really just depends on the person.

About dresses taking up less space... they don't take up less space than tops, but if you're packing dresses it probably means you're packing tights or leggings (or nothing) to go underneath, which take up less room in your luggage than jeans or trousers. I can usually get away with wearing dresses 2-3x before they need to be washed unless I get really sweaty, so in that sense I think that they're an efficient thing to pack (especially jersey fabric dresses... they're generally thin and they don't wrinkle).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:22 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

JillW wrote:
For carry-on to avoid the annoying liquid thing, I use the deodorant crystal, and toothpaste powder, and a shampoo bar. I also use coconut oil as a moisturizer, and if frozen before flight, will pretty much be a solid. I do decant into a small container. I almost always carry on luggage, and definitely do with fewer clothes. Wear on the flight your bulkier items, even if it means a little extra time in security. If you are taking 2 pairs of shoes and one pair is boots, definitely wear the boots. Wear your jacket or bulkiest outer layer and put into overhead if you don't need it on the flight. Coordinate the travel wardrobe so that it's based around a single color--black is obviously easiest and probably doesn't get noticed as much if you wear it repeatedly.

also there is a folding method (video on youtube) that many people swear by. you layer everything in a certain order then fold over each item one at a time creating a single bundle in a weave. the people who made that video are also selling all sorts of travel clothes and bags. I've done the folding method for longer trips and it works pretty well.

See, I got into an argument with TSA about coconut oil. It was winter and frozen rock solid, but they said I couldn't bring it on because it's 'oil.' I sad it's a saturated fat, so it's solid at room temperature. They agent told me something along the lines of 'I'm not a biology major.' I ended up having to pay $25 to check the bag.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:07 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

oops good to know. I just flew from JFK to Miami and back with it, but I guess it's arbitrary judgement. Also it wasn't labeled at all, so who knows what they thought it was if they even noticed it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:47 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I can travel indefinitely out of my backpack (it's a large one, but not huge). I pack in stuff sacks because that is easiest for me to organize... one with clothes, one with undergarments, one with misc stuff, one for if anything is gross/dirty/wet. Everything gets worn multiple times, but I don't mind washing things in a sink and letting it hang dry. Jeans and a small towel (I stay in hostels a lot) get rolled tightly and stuck wherever they will fit. I usually pack a pair of shoes and wear a pair.

I make a list of what I will need and then only pack what is on the list or less. No adding just one more shirt, if anything I take less than what is on my list. At the top of the page I write how long I'm going to be gone, the expected weather (temp range and rain/snow), and any specific activities I need stuff for. Then I make a list based on that information. I have a standard list, but 2 weeks in Iowa or Vancouver in the winter needs different clothes than 3 weeks in Guatemala in the summer so I adjust it for each trip.

Toiletries I don't think of as that big of a deal. I can fit everything I need except my deodorant in their one-quart bag. I take travel sized: shampoo, conditioner, face wash, moisturizer, toothpaste, floss, lotion, a normal lipgloss and sometimes mascara. I've often had to buy more shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste on a long trip and I have always managed to find soap. When I had shorter (shoulder length) hair, I used the bar of shampoo from Lush and no conditioner. I'm just as happy to wear my hair in braids as I am to wash it though, so I'll stretch it out to a week and just rinse as needed in between.

My next trip I'm taking next to nothing and a normal-sized backpack since I know I'll be riding buses with the bag in my lap for hours (I'm not letting them throw it on top of the bus, almost lost a bag that way once!) I'm going to the thrift store and H&M next week to see if I can find some good travel clothes. I have a pair of linen pants from H&M that are great for summer travel in conservative countries... they roll up tiny and aren't hot like jeans.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think what you should pack largely depends on where you're going to and what you'll be doing... I've done the hostel/backpack thing a lot, and on those trips I wouldn't think twice about re-wearing the same shirt a bunch of times until it started to smell. It's actually better to bring less stuff and stuff that isn't fancy, because it's more likely to get lost or stolen in a hostel/guesthouse/overnight bus type environment. But I think it's a bit different when you're traveling on a business trip or to go to a wedding or something, because then you need to bring "nice" clothes under most circumstances. That might also require different luggage... a backpack works great if you don't care about wrinkles, but a proper rolling bag is probably better for stuff that needs to be neatly rolled/folded. For my next trip I'll need to bring more "fancy" clothes, but I like the idea of linen pants for backpacking in conservative places... every travel guide ever says you should pack a sarong to cover up, but linen pants sounds more logical to me.

On towels... this may sound insane, but I bring a beach towel with me a lot of places. I have a really thin one so it rolls up pretty small and it doesn't weigh a lot. Most hostels have towels, but some places will charge you to "rent" them (usually around $2-$5), and I used to have one of those small packable "travel towels" but I totally hated it and stopped using it. Anyway I got the thin beach towel in the middle of a several months long backpacking trip for $5 since I was sick of paying to "rent" towels, and I have used it on numerous trips as well as in my home as a normal towel, so it was totally worth it. If you're really tight on space you should obviously skip bringing one though, and if you're staying at a hotel or a friend's house it's not even an issue.

Speaking of backpacking, I just came across this website... might be an interesting read for any of you who do more backpacking type trips than business travel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Limone wrote:
I think what you should pack largely depends on where you're going to and what you'll be doing... I've done the hostel/backpack thing a lot, and on those trips I wouldn't think twice about re-wearing the same shirt a bunch of times until it started to smell. It's actually better to bring less stuff and stuff that isn't fancy, because it's more likely to get lost or stolen in a hostel/guesthouse/overnight bus type environment. But I think it's a bit different when you're traveling on a business trip or to go to a wedding or something, because then you need to bring "nice" clothes under most circumstances. That might also require different luggage... a backpack works great if you don't care about wrinkles, but a proper rolling bag is probably better for stuff that needs to be neatly rolled/folded. For my next trip I'll need to bring more "fancy" clothes, but I like the idea of linen pants for backpacking in conservative places... every travel guide ever says you should pack a sarong to cover up, but linen pants sounds more logical to me.

Yeah, a backpacking trip and a nice clothes trip are two different animals. I have, on occasion, confused which kind of trip I'm actually on and packed for one rather than the other and been sorry for it.

If y'all don't know about those pee funnels they make for women and you're going to travel in a country where the toilet situation is questionable, I highly recommend investing in one. I've found almost every place I've traveled outside of English-speaking countries to require one at some point along the trip.

It depends what conservative country you're going to whether you need a skirt or if pants are sufficient. I pack two big, lightweight scarves so I have one to act as a skirt over my pants and one to act as headcovering if I ever need both at once. (They're also great to use as toilet paper along the way if it's a paper-free bathroom situation and if you will have a place to wash them out and dry overnight).