| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veganizing body products: Help me PPK. You're my only hope.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:54 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I searched around for another thread on this but had difficulty finding it, so hopefully this is not a repeat. I need help finding vegan body products and makeup and stuff. Food was a fairly easy transition, because it's pretty easy to look at a label, see that it has milk, and not buy it. But i've had a hard time with the non-food aspects of my life, because i read the ingredient label and it has a gazillion things i can hardly pronounce. So what should i look out for? Are there any websites that have lists of ingredients that contain animal products? Do i need to look out for animal products in most things, or are there only some body care products that tend to contain animal ingredients?
The products that i use all the time are lotion (for face and body), sunblock, facewash, deodorant, and body wash. I have dry/sensitive skin, so i am especially concerned about having to replace my sunblock and face lotion, because many brands make my skin burn.

Post subject: Re: Veganizing body products: Help me PPK. You're my only ho
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Paula's Choice does not test and appear to make an effort to not use ingredients that would be irritating. You can find a list of their products that have animal-derived ingredients here.

There are threads for deodorant and moisturizer. If you search, you should find them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, I really like their tea tree oil face wash. They have a few other kinds too, as well as lotions and body wash and shampoo and everything. My night time moisturizer is Badger's Damascus Rose Antioxdant Face Oil - it's super moisturizing but doesn't make my combination skin too oily at all, the ingredients are simple, it smells awesome, and a little 1 oz bottle lasts forever.

My favorite body lotions are Haus of Gloi's pumpkin butters. They're an all-vegan company that also makes perfume oils and scrubs and soaps and stuff. The pumpkin butters are SUPER moisturizing and come in a ton of scents, as well as unscented (aether) if you're sensitive to fragrance. $10 for a 6 oz jar seems pricy, but honestly, it takes me at least 6 months of daily use to use one up because you need so little at a time.

There are lots of threads about stuff like this - if you're curious about a product or brand, just try searching for it, something will usually come up.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I found the body products the most overwhelming part of becoming vegan. I find one of the easiest things is to google "is "name of product" vegan. Usually you will get up a yay or a nay. Reading the ingredients of things is waaaaay too complicated for me for body stuff. I'm a year into it now and body products don't seem as scary now because I know where locally to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:18 pm 

Arbonne makes it pretty easy -- they don't use animal products in their products and they don't test on animals.

They're a little pricier than store brands but I've been happy with what I've tried so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For face wash I'm a huge fan of buying store brand generic Cetaphil from retailers that don't test on animals, because according to the internet Cetaphil is vegan, but their parent company tests, so the generic version means an untested gentle vegan face wash. I usually buy it at Target or CVS.

I have really sensitive skin too, especially on my body, so I use baby wash as body wash, there are tons of cruelty free brands that make baby wash, and a lot of them are vegan, you just have to google around like daisychain said.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:07 pm 

Thanks for all the help! I think i just needed a little direction. I will poke around a bit more and find out what works for me.
I love Trader Joe's products. It is good to know that their facewash is vegan!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:16 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Before I type a novel, are you looking for things just in the drugstore/Target, or is online okay?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:52 pm 

Online is okay. I prefer things i can get easily, but i'm willing to buy stuff online if it is good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This is was harder for me too then the eating thing, especially since products don't always have ingrediants listed. I've started to get all my body products at Lush because I love it and its easy to tell what's vegan cause they have a little V and don't do any animal testing. I think ppk searching a product is often more helpful than google. If you are interested, look into making products too. There are lots of vegan resources for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:21 pm 

Whoo! I just found out that my favorite Trader Joe's moisturizer is vegan. I have bought so many facial moisturizers with sunblock only to find that it burns my skin, so it a huge relief that i don't have to search for another one that agrees with my skin. I will have to check out Lush. Man, i really wish everything vegan was marked with a little V. It would make shopping so much easier.