| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2720 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 109  Next
 Post subject: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I know there's the what makeup are you wearing thread, and threads about specific brands, or specific products, but I've noticed that in both the mascara and bb cream threads we sometimes talk about other products, and thought it might be nice if we had a thread to just talk makeup in general, what we like, don't like, want to try, things we want to find a vegan dupe for, etc.

In this case, I'm starting this because I wanted to see if anyone has tried the Too Faced La Creme Color Drenched Lip Creams. Apparently they're vegan, which I didn't realize, and while I have a ton of lipstick, it's mostly the matte Wet n Wild ones, and it would be nice to have something moisturizing for a change. Plus every so often I like to buy a more expensive lipstick as an indulgence because it makes me feel fancy.

So anyone tried them? Anyone have any other products they want to talk about? Was this thread a silly unneeded idea?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I haven't tried them, because I really just wear lip balm, but now I want to check them out! Especially the berry shades. They get good reviews, at least.

I need a new eyebrow pencil. I'm investigating, but anyone know offhand a few from Sephora that are vegan? I need a light, ashy brown.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Oh, ok I just found their vegan list. I don't see La Creme on there, but it could be outdated. I do see their brow pencils though! Guess I can start there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

According to Melisser's site the Anastasia Brow Wiz pencils are vegan. They're really really nice. The Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Pencils are vegan too, but I haven't tried them. So are the Too Faced Brow-nie Brow Pencils, but again, I haven't tried them, I love the Anastasia pencil too much to bother trying anything else.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Too Faced site is pretty awful about navigating vegan stuff, you pretty much have to look at the description on the individual product pages and if it's vegan there's an asterisk and then it'll say "vegan friendly" or "vegan friendly shades" followed by shade names. Sometimes I just click around their site on different products just to see if there's anything vegan I didn't know about, hence the lipstick interest.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Well that's confusing! Get it together, Too Faced. You'd think companies would make it as easy as possible for us to give them our money.

Thanks so much for the eyebrow pencil recs! I'll definitely look for the Anastasia one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Seriously, like if Illamasqua labelled their vegan products I'd be up my ears in their makeup right now, and would be skipping meals to buy more.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes! Jessi, I have three of the Too Faced lipsticks - Juicy Melons, Coral Fire, and Bumbleberry. I really like them. Juicy Melons applies a bit patchy if my lips are dry, but the other two are very smooth and creamy. I think it might just be because Juicy Melons is a lighter color.

I also have and really like their cream blush in Prim & Poppy and their regular powder blush in Cocoa Rose. In general I really like their products. I don't think they've updated their vegan list in a while, though, because as far as I can tell their new Sweetheart blush (the heart-shaped one) looks vegan, and I'm tempted by it.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I contour with their milk chocolate bronzer. It's nice because it's matte, but it's still a little bit too orange for my pasty face. I think I'm going to try the taupe blush from NYX soon instead, it looks to be vegan and I read reviews that it's good for contouring pale skin.

Juicy Melons and Coral Fire are the two shades I was really interested in too!

If you find out about the Sweetheart blush do share, because it's so cute!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:23 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I didn't even know Too Faced did that, the only things I knew were vegan is the matte palette and the BB cream. Good to know! But it's weird because on some, it says 'vegan friendly' on the details tab but not the ingredients tab, and on some vice versa.

I am on a serious makeup no-buy, for financial reasons, but my terms for ending it are:

I must empty 10 products (not necessarily makeup), because I tend to get almost done with something, buy a different but similar product to replace it, and then never empty the original. I need to make space, yo.

I need to try new brands and stop getting suckered by the many ELF sales.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I like Coral Fire better than Juicy Melons, mostly because Juicy Melons is a little lighter than I'd hoped. Coral Fire is much more understated than I expected from the name - you'd think it would be a blazingly bright coral, but instead it's a really wearable almost mauve-y coral red. Definitely not scary bright at all.

I'm eyeing some OCC lip tars for my birthday right now - Grandma and Radiate for sure, maybe Trollop and Queen as well. I haven't bought any until now because I'm almost 100% sure that I will feel compelled to collect a large number of them, and I have not yet figured out how to grow money in my window boxes. But since someone else is buying... well. Who am I to say no?

I didn't know NYX Taupe was vegan! I've seen that on so many blogs, but ages ago I remember seeing lanolin in the ingredients list for one of their blushes and I just kind of wrote off the whole line. If that's not the case I will be super psyched. I'm a total blush hoarder, I can never get enough. I use Tarte's Park Ave Princess bronzer, and I like it well enough. I'm not a big bronzer user for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I must empty 10 products (not necessarily makeup), because I tend to get almost done with something, buy a different but similar product to replace it, and then never empty the original. I need to make space, yo.

I think if I put myself on a no-buy until I finished 10 makeup products, I would never buy makeup again. I don't think that I've ever actually finished a makeup product in my life. Maybe a foundation. MAYBE. Definitely not an eyeshadow or a blush.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:39 pm 

I didn't understand the point of a pale person using bronzer until I realized that bronzer is what people generally contour with. Now I use bronzer how I was using blush before.

I have nothing OCC, but if I were going to start i'd want to get one of the lip tar/polish combos that come with a drag queen photo:

http://www.sephora.com/lip-tar-nail-lac ... Id=1532365

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, the Grandma set is in my Sephora cart, which I will shortly be sending to Mike for birthday purposes. I'm going to get the Pond nail polish too, because I am literally incapable of passing up a Docto Who-themed nail polish.

I don't do much contouring... maybe I should? I don't know, I pretty much only use bronzer when my foundation is too light. Contouring and applying eyeliner without looking lopsided or like I got punched are two things I have never mastered.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

amandabear wrote:
I didn't know NYX Taupe was vegan! I've seen that on so many blogs, but ages ago I remember seeing lanolin in the ingredients list for one of their blushes and I just kind of wrote off the whole line. If that's not the case I will be super psyched. I'm a total blush hoarder, I can never get enough. I use Tarte's Park Ave Princess bronzer, and I like it well enough. I'm not a big bronzer user for some reason.

Dammit! I had somehow missed the lanolin when I read the ingredients before, but you're right. Sadface. Guess I'm sticking with the Too Faced bronzer for now.

I have one lip tar, Chlorophyll because I needed a green lipstick for a fairy costume last Halloween, and I honestly wasn't impressed. It went on patchy and faded pretty fast, and I couldn't easily reapply while out since it's in a squeezy tube. Maybe it was just that shade though?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:55 pm 

I really only contour my cheeks, i've tried my nose a few times for fun but it never doesn't look like I have dirt on the sides of my nose.

Even though this says 'to look like Kim Kardashian', I found this video helpful to just learn if you are going to contour highlight, where you would do that. There are lots of videos like this, but since he's doing someone else and a voice over, it's one of the shorter ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:07 pm 

Also this one is good for pale people contouring, but I still find the Goss one helpful because since he's using creams and letting them all sit on the face at once, you can really see where everything is supposed to go at once.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:18 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh wow. That looks incredible. I need to try that out when some magical day I have all the bits of makeup I need. Gosh I miss the days of been able to afford to have about 3 different foundations on the go. These days I only have the one and they are completely empty by the time I can get another.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The amount of bronzer he puts on her cheeks is terrifying! My t-zone gets so oily during the summer that the idea of putting highlighter on my forehead, chin, and down the bridge of my nose is kind of laughable. I'd look like a total greaseball. All of my highlighters are kind of shimmery, though, and it looks like he's using something pretty matte (just foundation?). It does look very nice at the end, though.

Does anyone know the status of LORAC? Their website says they don't test, but I can't find any kind of definitive information elsewhere online.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Maybe this is addressed in previous threads, but do you guys have a link to a good eye shadow video? I like to wear bright colors of eye shadow, but i don't want it to look like "whoaaaaa she's wearing purple eye shadow!"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:02 pm 

Oops, I didn't realize I posted the same video twice. I used my magic mod powers to fix it!

ijdi, a lot of bright eyeshadow tutorials involve a lot of shadows, are you looking for one that tells you how to wear just one color?

The number one rule of eyeshadow, no matter what the color, is blend, blend, blend. And then blend some more. Also those little sponge applicators are garbage. And it's easier to add more than to take away, so use a light hand. Whenever someone tells me they look like a clown when they wear makeup, I assume they are basically doing the opposite of all of those things. I am terrible at makeup but I follow those rules and manage to not look like a clown! Most days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:11 pm 

amandabear wrote:
The amount of bronzer he puts on her cheeks is terrifying! My t-zone gets so oily during the summer that the idea of putting highlighter on my forehead, chin, and down the bridge of my nose is kind of laughable. I'd look like a total greaseball. All of my highlighters are kind of shimmery, though, and it looks like he's using something pretty matte (just foundation?). It does look very nice at the end, though.

Does anyone know the status of LORAC? Their website says they don't test, but I can't find any kind of definitive information elsewhere online.

I got a 'spend X amount, get a free $20 grab bag' thing from ELF and they included a shimmer stick in bronze, it looks really dark on the stick but I swatched it on my hand and it blends out really well, so sometimes I use that for a contour. Cream products are actually better for making things look more natural because they're easier to blend and you can put them under your foundation, if you want.

I actually got the Manic Panic foundation, which only comes in lily white, to use as a matte highlighter. Which is weird because if I do use highlighter, it's only on the top of my cheekbones. I don't know why I have all of this shiitake when I use the same 7 products 90% of the time. Maybe i'll fork around with makeup before I take a shower tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:45 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I have never in my life tried to contour my face, and I probably use blush wrong too. Until recently I used the Bare Minerals warmth as a blush/bronzer, which I always thought looked ok? (Yes that's a question; I have no idea). I'd love if he had done a comparison shot of makeup done without contouring vs. with. I was also horrified by the amount of bronzer, but she looked great at the end!

Right now I have a suuuper bright pink Stila blush, the kind that is supposed to adjust to your skin tone, but I think it's too bright. My cheeks flush really easily, and somehow this seems to make that worse. So I use just the teeniest amount possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Amy wrote:
Right now I have a suuuper bright pink Stila blush, the kind that is supposed to adjust to your skin tone, but I think it's too bright. My cheeks flush really easily, and somehow this seems to make that worse. So I use just the teeniest amount possible.

If the bright pink makes you look too flushed, you might want to try something more peachy or even brownish. I have a lot of redness in my cheeks, and I find that peachy/coral and rosy brown blushes help tone that down rather than exacerbating it. My favorite rosy brown blush is sadly discontinued (I think you can still find it on ebay though) - Too Faced's Mocha Mi Amore - but their newer powder blush in Cocoa Rose is similar and really nice as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thanks! For some reason I thought I should wear bright pink (I blame Carmindy from What Not to Wear, who was always hawking that back in the day), but now I'm just self-conscious that I look clowny. Cocoa Rose is pretty; I'll make a note to try that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2720 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 109  Next