| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

blondiefk wrote:
I wish there was one big comprehensive Sephora list of vegan makeup. Of course that could be bad because i' spend enough there with limited knowledge already.

This would be so terrible and so wonderful.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

allularpunk wrote:
I'm chanting the mantra that I tell my parents to chant when they want that one brand of wine that only the walmart in their town sells: If it only exists at walmart, then it doesn't exist for me.

Maybe someday another store will sell it.
What if you were to swap with another PPKer? Is that cheating? 'Cause I would totally be down to send you the colors you want in exchange for an equal number of awesome colors of your choice from another brand...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:54 pm 

zensquiggle wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
I'm chanting the mantra that I tell my parents to chant when they want that one brand of wine that only the walmart in their town sells: If it only exists at walmart, then it doesn't exist for me.

Maybe someday another store will sell it.
What if you were to swap with another PPKer? Is that cheating? 'Cause I would totally be down to send you the colors you want in exchange for an equal number of awesome colors of your choice from another brand...

I'd be ok with that, I think. I just don't want to personally go in that place (for so many reasons besides even their labor practices...something always happens when I go to walmart that raises my blood pressure). I don't have a ton of polishes, but I definitely have a few that don't work for me. I'll PM you tomorrow with a list?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:11 pm 

allularpunk wrote:
I'd be ok with that, I think. I just don't want to personally go in that place (for so many reasons besides even their labor practices...something always happens when I go to walmart that raises my blood pressure). I don't have a ton of polishes, but I definitely have a few that don't work for me. I'll PM you tomorrow with a list?
Awesome! But if you change your mind and decide you're not okay with it just let me know... no pressure. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zensquiggle wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Yeah, someone needs to go and check for some of the basic offenders, like beeswax in the mascara and carmine. I am automatically suspicious of any brand that just says they're all vegan if they're not run by a vegan, especially a brand that's big enough to be sold (exclusively?) in Walmart.
The beeswax is listed in the ingredients as synthetic. I've already sent an email about carmine... it's listed under the "may contain" section of some of the lipsticks, but it looks like every single possible red colorant is listed so it may just be a really generic label. We shall see what they say. Now that I'm in direct contact with someone hopefully I'll get a quick response.

ETA: joyfulvegan beat me to it! I'll still post whatever response I get from Flower, too, for posterity's sake!

Have they written you back yet? I'd like to get more confirmation on the carmine thing before I go buy everything they sell.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:21 pm 

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Have they written you back yet? I'd like to get more confirmation on the carmine thing before I go buy everything they sell.
Not yet... I'll resend my email.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I went out and bought a bunch of stuff today. Thanks, makeup thread. I got Too Faced purple eyeliner and BB cream and a nail polish and Wet n Wild eyeshadow. I wanted Physician's Formula Brow definer but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Next trip:OCC cosmetics tomorrow when I go to the LES.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

An Aussie brand has put *vegan friendly* on some of their products online as well as a downloadable list of their vegan range which I was stoked about. But I bought a couple of products yesterday only to find some of them contain beeswax, and their brushes are listed but they're made of goat hair :/ I'm going to email them to let them know and return what I bought.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

what are y'alls favorite mascaras? I've had mad mixed results with vegan mascaras and I need a new tube before I move!!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't found a great volumizing vegan mascara, the Manic Panic Collection one is the best I've tried, and it's just ok, not amazing. For lengthening I really like Wet n Wild Mega Length (regular, the waterproof isn't vegan) because it makes my lashes super inky black, but it's really really wet and dries slow. The Tarte Lights Camera Lashes is a nice lengthening one too, but the Wet n Wild works just as well for way cheaper.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Does anyone happen to know if any of the Ulta store brand stuff is vegan?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It's cruelty free, but you'd have to check ingredients on individual products to know what is and isn't vegan. They're pretty good about posting ingredients for their store brand stuff online though.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:35 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

thanks! I clicked on a few things but i'll keep looking. there's a nice sale on the catalog.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:40 am 
Naked Under Apron

booberthefraggle wrote:
what are y'alls favorite mascaras? I've had mad mixed results with vegan mascaras and I need a new tube before I move!!

There is a whole thread devoted to mascara. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6663&hilit=mascara

I really want to try the Manic Panic and it'll be an excuse to go to the store too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:17 am 

appifanie wrote:
thanks! I clicked on a few things but i'll keep looking. there's a nice sale on the catalog.

I was just looking at that flyer! I'm pretty sure their salon nail polish is vegan (the professional line lists guanine under "may contain" but the salon line doesn't) and they're on sale for $2 starting on Sunday. I will definitely be investigating that situation.

Looking at a few other things on the sale list, I think the Precision Liquid Liner and the Extreme Wear Gel Eyeliners look okay, and the Legendary Lengths and Voluptuous Volume mascaras might be too. Stearic acid looks like the only questionable ingredient. If that's the case, FYI to everyone, the liquid liners will be $2, the gel liners will be $4, and the mascaras will be $5 each. Their foundations and face primers and stuff are on sale for $5 or $6 as well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:26 am 

If anyone is interested in any of the Barry M stuff on ASOS (or anything else on ASOS), you can get 20% off your order today with the code HAPPYFOURTH. I'm picking up a Barry M mascara and eyeliner, and a Bourjois foundation to try out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't had a chance to try anything yet, but last night I went to Walmart and picked up two Flower mascaras and the lightest shade of BB Cream. They also had a three sided stand of Elf products, so I picked up the red Jumbo Lip Gloss stick, and they had a new product I hadn't seen before, the Studio Wrinkle Refiner which is supposed to smooth and plump wrinkles while also acting as a primer to fill them. My under eyes are pretty psyched to try it.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just bought the Flower Skincognito Stick Foundation (lightest shade and it is perfect for me) and the Lip Tint in Bare Blush (goes on so smooth and is a really nice sheer tint). I really really super love this brand already and kind of want to go back and buy more stuff now. I read a ton of ingredients and didn't see anything that wasn't vegan! The walmart I went to had a huge section right next to the Hard Candy stuff. They still only have a teeny elf section though, bummer.

I have that elf wrinkle refiner, jessi, I like it except it does this weird thing where it clumps up after it's been on a little while.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, the only non-vegan thing I saw was the may contain carmine which they told Logical Harmony is a mislabelling. I'm waiting for confirmation on that then I'm probably going to go crazy on their lipsticks and cream blushes. I wanted to buy their white cream eyeshadow to see how it works as an eyeshadow base under bright colors, but the Walmart I went to was sold out of it.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't wait to hear about the mascaras! I have 2 wet n wilds I'm forcing myself to use before I buy any new though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:15 pm 

Also excited to hear about the mascaras! I'm planning to hit a different Walmart tomorrow to see if they have a Flower section. If not I might just order some stuff online. Like Jessi, if they actually confirm that the carmine thing is a labeling error, I might buy every lipstick they make. Never enough lipstick.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I'm home today and not actually wearing makeup, but I went ahead and put the Flower mascaras on, Lash Knockout Volumizing Mascara on my left eye and Zoom In Ultimate Waterproof Mascara on my right eye with the brush twisted all the way for volume. I even put them on my bottom lashes, which I only ever wear Blinc on because otherwise my oily face gives me panda eyes, but I figured I'd do a full and proper test. First impressions, they're nice, better than a lot of vegan mascaras, and probably perfect for most people. I on the other hand grew up in the grunge era and believe you aren't properly wearing mascara unless you have super clumpy spidery tarantula lashes, so I'm not in love. I liked Lash Knockout more just at initial impressions, it seems a bit more plumping.

I'll check in later tonight before bed and let everyone know how they hold up.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am dying for a mascara that gives me clumpy tarantula eyes. I wore Maybelline Great Lash until I went vegan and no vegan mascara has come close for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The other day I layered Wet n Wild Mega Length over Raven Mascara from Manic Panic Collection, like 2 coats or so of each, and it was the closest I've gotten to clumpy tarantula eyes with vegan mascaras. I'm interested to try the Mega Length over these Flower mascaras and see what happens, but I skipped it today for test purposes.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:32 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ooh, I was eyeing the Wet n Wild mascara today but I didn't know which, if any, we're vegan and the print on the labels is WAAAAY too small for me. Good to know!

Reply to topic  [ 2412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 97  Next