| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 171  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The only brand that really threw me was Urban Decay, them and Revlon/Revlon subsidiaries. Like I used some stuff from LVMH brands, and some stuff from Estee Lauder brands, but overall, while I was mad on behalf of the animals, it didn't really effect my day to day life that much. But my daily foundation was Almay, powder was Revlon, concealer was Almay, some of my favorite lip products were Revlon, my deodorant was Mitchum, when I was too cheap to buy pro stuff I bought Revlon curling irons and brushes. Urban Decay was the main star of my eye shadow collection, I actually didn't hate Lush Lash, I had plans to buy all of the 24/7 liquid liners that were vegan.

But we do have lots of options still, and really the only thing there's not a boat load of available to us are super pigmented pressed shadows in colors other than warm neutrals (there are still a lot, but not a freakish amount like I'd prefer) and clumpy rockstar drag queen mascara. Other than that, I've got something like 6 different coral cream and/or gel vegan blushes, and so many vegan lipsticks/stains/tints/and tinted balms that I've lost count.

twitter/instagram @jessilikewhoa

Last edited by jessilikewhoa on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:09 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I am pretty clumsy with makeup but I tap the shiitake out of my brush before it goes near my eye and I never get much fallout so that seems to be the key?

Yeah, this works for me, too. Also, if you get it on your clothes, blow it off rather than brush it with your hand. I learned the hard way that brushing it off just smears it around.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I put on my makeup before I get dressed, because I know my levels of clumsiness. Most of my fallout ends up on my cheeks, and while I can get most of it off with a firmer fan brush, sometimes I get smears and then I end up running even later for wherever I'm trying to go. It's really a problem of both clumsiness and poor time management skills.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:14 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Could you maybe do your eyes first so that you can wipe off any fallout with a damp cloth? I do my eyes last and someone telling me I should do them first makes my heart palpitate, but perhaps you aren't OCD like me?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:29 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

There's a really popular cruelty-free beauty blogger who doesn't count parent companies who test which is fine for her, but when she makes five sponsored UD posts in a row and calls them cruelty-free but fails to mention the parent company thing for people who DO care...stabbity.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've heard so many pro makeup artists say to do your eyes first, but I'm totally freaked out by the idea of not going moisturizer-primer-foundation-conceal-countour and then eye makeup. I managed to restrain myself from applying my under eye concealer until after my makeup, so that's a feat. And I don't apply blush or highlighter until after eye makeup. It's just the foundation. I mean, it's called foundation, obviously it should go on first.

Dr Bronners, MD

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I think I'm going to order some loose pigments from Sugarpill and OCC and Medusas Makeup soon though and try my damndest to learn how to use them without getting covered in them all over, because the color is so much more true when there's no fillers to keep the product pressed.

If you want loose shadows, try Fyrinnae! Especially if you want bright/unusual colors. I normally hate loose shadows, but theirs are worth it. The Pixie Epoxy makes a huge difference in terms of not getting loose shadow dust all over the place, too.

I had some brand loyalty to UD and Revlon as well, so they hurt... I'm honestly undecided about how I feel regarding parent companies, but Urban Decay rubs me the wrong way regardless because that whole thing was just such a slap in the face. I'm not sure I'd buy stuff from them again even if L'oreal stopped testing, because they're such giant hypocrites as a company.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Last edited by amandabear on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

MBM, I think that's probably the same one who posts a lot of NARS. I'm a big fan of her overall, but it is frustrating that she posts brands with testing parent companies, then marks them as cruelty free without an obvious disclaimer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:05 pm 

Yeah, I don't want to say her name because I don't want a kfischer happening, but it's pretty ridic. Also, mash those five posts into one! I tried subscribing to her blog but she seriously posts 2-3 times a day.

If anyone wants to try out an indie brand, Morgana's Crypt has quite a few lipsticks in their sale section:

http://www.morganascrypt.com/store/c/21-Boneyard.aspx

Some are sold out but the ones that aren't are $3! Mostly unusual colors, but some more wearable shades too.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was eyeballing some of those yesterday, but I'm on a no-buy for the rest of the month right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 am 

Me too, I want someone to take advantage of it so I can live vicariously through them!

I found a contest for 100 OCC lip tars, if anyone actually wants to follow this dude in three places and then email him. I'm not that invested in free shiitake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVoDLmtgRmI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If I was the OCC eye shadows I'd probably do it because I lust after some of those big time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:02 am 
Ninja Master

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I've heard so many pro makeup artists say to do your eyes first, but I'm totally freaked out by the idea of not going moisturizer-primer-foundation-conceal-countour and then eye makeup. I managed to restrain myself from applying my under eye concealer until after my makeup, so that's a feat. And I don't apply blush or highlighter until after eye makeup. It's just the foundation. I mean, it's called foundation, obviously it should go on first.

I say do it in whatever order makes you happy.

When I was training we were taught to do foundation / conceal... first. But I basically prime, then do foundation and then eyes, then clean up with concealer and do the rest. I hate when I get mascara or eyeshadow fallout all over my undereye concealer!

The only time I do eyes first before foundation is if I'm wearing a lot of dark shadow or glitter and it would basically wreck my foundation to clean it up.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:52 am 
Stepford Vegan

I do my base-face first, because I like to cover any dark circles under my eyes, can't do that with eye makeup on. Then do my eyes, I am pretty careful with fall out....then blush & lips last. I like to see how dramatic I do my eyes before piling on more color.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have to put on my mascara first, because I get it all over my face. Mascara, then foundation/base, eyeshadow if I'm wearing it, lips, then cheeks.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I do mascara last, unless I'm wearing a really bold lip, them I do that last. Basically anything I could inadvertently smear all over my hand/wrist/arm while doing the rest of my face gets saved for last. I think the main thing I've learned from this thread is that every single behaviour I have in regards to makeup I buy and when/how I apply it is in direct relation to the fact that I'm a total clutz. It's funny too because I'm a cosmetology student and not infrequently I do other people's makeup and there's no big mess at all. It's probably the same principle that let's me cleanly color other people's hair but inevitably color my own hair, and my face, neck, ears, hands, and arms.

Anyway, Sugarpill responded to a tweet I had wrote a few days ago and said that they're finishing taking swatch photos and that new products should be on the site within the next few weeks. Hopefully that takes us into August so I'm off my no-buy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I do my face, then eyes, then lips :)

I found another Aussie brand, Natio, that has great info for vegans on their site, yay! I'm going to pick up one of their mascaras as well as their BB cream today

Last edited by Kitteh on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:33 pm 

ELF is having a 50% off sitewide sale today!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am 
Stepford Vegan

has anyone ever done a acrylic toenail? or used a press on? my big toenail was growing a new toenail and the top one popped off. it is flip flop season and a stubby toe nail is not working...Also wearing and adjusting a band-aid seems useless after trying it a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Years ago I tried some press on ones. They worked great, until I went hiking with them on wearing a pair of too-small boots. That was painful. And embarrassing and gross, when I had to stop to take my boots off and pry off the remaining press-on nails. But if you're going to be wearing open toes shoes I bet they'd be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 am 
Ninja Master

missmuffcake wrote:
has anyone ever done a acrylic toenail? or used a press on? my big toenail was growing a new toenail and the top one popped off. it is flip flop season and a stubby toe nail is not working...Also wearing and adjusting a band-aid seems useless after trying it a few times.

I don't do acrylic myself but I know of techs who've done this for their clients. Definitely speak to a decent nail tech, they should be able to sort something for you.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I need help deciding between brands. I want to buy some eyeshadows and I've narrowed it down to Manic Panic or OCC. Opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:41 pm 

Have we ever discussed Geek Chic cosmetics? Their site says 'now 100% vegan', I don't know how new that info is buuuuuuut:

http://www.geekchiccosmetics.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The Manic Panic Collection eyeshadows are a serious treasure and I'm constantly surprised I don't see them on beauty blogs. Every time I wear them I get asked if my shadow is Mac by someone, it's that pigmented that people think it's high end. I just bought the $4 refill pans, a pack of adhesive backed mini magnets at a craft store, and a few cheap metal tins from the $1 section at Target and made crappy DIY palettes. So my vote is the Manic Panic, but I haven't tried the OCC pigments since I'm not a loose shadow fan, so my experience here is only with one side of your option.

Has anyone tried the pressed shadows from the original Manic Panic site? Either these http://www.manicpanic.biz/store/c/78-Po ... adows.aspx or these http://www.manicpanic.biz/store/c/75-Love-Colors.aspx. Because I've been eyeing them for awhile, especially the Electric Banana Love Colors, but they're kind of pricey to order having seen no reviews, and I haven't found swatches or anything online. I'm also waiting for them to get Goth White cream powder back in stock because I want to try it as a white shadow base.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have the Mod A Go Go and I love it.

I think I need to make a trip out to the store.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 171  Next