| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2978 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 120  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ooh, thank you! I'm so hitting Sephora tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:44 pm 
Ninja Master

daisychain wrote:
Not looking good for Clarins being animal testing free. I haven't read through the whole thing yet.http://demandware.com/uploads/resource/RIS_Clarins_Casestudy.pdf

I found this in the comments of a blog post saying someone was unconvinced they were cruelty free. It's from December 2012 - sounds good but it's an email someone translated from italian and I can't find an actual policy yet.

Quote:
“We confirm that Clarins products haven’t been tested on animals for many years. Safety controls are realized on cell culture, following the so called alternative methods, validated by experts. Besides these cell culture methods, the safety of our proucts is guaranteed by the perfect knowledge of the raw materials used and, of course, by tests conducted on human volunteers. Clarins has chosen not to appear on any cruelty-free list because we think it’s not fair to choose a certain label instead of another (LAV, Peta, etc.)”

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:51 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh no not Clarins! Please be cruelty free! I love too many of your products!

Also, I am slow but here is a lovely rose gold for the person who was looking. Sue Devitt makeup is awesome but she's not in Sephora so you don't hear so much about her. Her shadows are amazing.

http://www.barneys.com/Sue-Devitt-Silky ... lt,pd.html

Also also, am I the only one who thought glitter sniffer and lime crime were the same person?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't know if we have Sephora here. Maybe we do? Thanks for the rose gold suggestions. The Physicians Formula bronzer palette I found in my old makeup is actually the perfect shade, so I'm going to stick with that for now. My skin loves warm colors and for some reason, I feel like I have a hard time finding them. I have a very sheer gold from ELF that I brush over anything that ends up looking too cool, though, and that seems to help.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

jessilikewhoa wrote:
joyfulvegan wrote:
Here's my makeup question: any good recs for waterproof mascara OR any mascara that holds a curl? My lashes are stick-straight and barely hold a curl even after curling them, and YouTuber LeighAnnSays recommended waterproof mascara to hold a curl in a recent video. I tried the e.l.f. Studio Waterproof Lengthening and Volumizing mascara and it didn't do a whole lot.

I haven't found a great waterproof vegan mascara, I use Blinc on my lower lashes, but it doesn't have enough oompf for my top lashes. I've instead been using Anastasia Lash Genius waterproof top coat over regular mascaras I like. I dunno if it would help with holding curl though.

I've been using this one from ELF: http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/eyes ... -1_mascara
It isn't advertised as waterproof, but it sure doesn't like to come off with normal washing like other mascaras I've owned did.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I checked a Walmart for Flower Beauty tonight, but they didn't have any! It's a smaller one so I guess that's probably why. Bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Kelly, I checked one on my way home and they didn't have any, either. It was the smallest one near me, so I'm guessing that's why. There are a few larger ones that I'll check maybe this weekend. But this is why they should have the ingredients online! That way if you can't find it in store and want to order stuff, you could.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kelly,
One of the busiest Wal-Marts in the US is down here. Is there something you are looking for? I can send things to you and they should get there in about 1 day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

my fave stuff lately is from a local company - not everything is vegan but the owner does provide info on what is. her shop is on vacation but when it opens up check out the blushes - really nice colors!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CosmicBathandBody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I asked Elixery, the vegan make up co from Minneapolis I think, if they can sell samples, and they wrote me back right away saying they used to, are now in the process of rebranding and will again in Sept. They will also appear in one of the beauty boxes. http://petitvour.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ooh, nice! Once they start selling samples again I'll be all over that. I got a bunch of samples from White Rabbit Beauty of Zuzu Luxe, Gabriel, and BWC lipsticks, and it's so helpful to be able to try colors out instead of just dropping the cash sight unseen and hoping for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Exactly. I got 5 samples of Pure Minerals lipstick and I love them all, but they are all kind of the same because I went with mostly orange and peachy colors. Closer to tinted lipbalms than lipsticks, but all the colors are really flattering, probably on anyone. Perfect for every day wear and minty and moisturizing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Vantine wrote:
Kelly,
One of the busiest Wal-Marts in the US is down here. Is there something you are looking for? I can send things to you and they should get there in about 1 day.

Awe, thanks! But we have a few larger ones around that I'll check first. I also need to scour ingredients just in case. Thank you though!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:02 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Kelly wrote:
Vantine wrote:
Kelly,

Awe, thanks! But we have a few larger ones around that I'll check first. I also need to scour ingredients just in case. Thank you though!

I picked up two mascaras, one nail polish, and a BB cream today. For whatever reason our Walmart has an end cap and a full section of Flower stuff. I scoured packages for everything they had and the only worrisome ingredient I saw was the "may contain carmine" on some of the lipsticks, which I'm waiting for an official email from Flower about. If there is anything you're interested in I'd be glad to scope out ingredient lists for specific products for you guys and you can order online.

With the possible exception of the carmine, everything I saw totally supports their claim of veganness.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

One of the Walmarts near me has Flower Beauty, they put it where Hard Candy is supposed to be, and no longer have Hard Candy, which is irksome. I didn't go check it out yet though, allergy season is trying to kill me and no matter how much medicine I take it feels like I got kicked in the face, so I spent most of my evening asleep on the couch hiding from the pain.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:09 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

baps wrote:
I found this in the comments of a blog post saying someone was unconvinced they were cruelty free. It's from December 2012 - sounds good but it's an email someone translated from italian and I can't find an actual policy yet.

Quote:
“We confirm that Clarins products haven’t been tested on animals for many years. Safety controls are realized on cell culture, following the so called alternative methods, validated by experts. Besides these cell culture methods, the safety of our proucts is guaranteed by the perfect knowledge of the raw materials used and, of course, by tests conducted on human volunteers. Clarins has chosen not to appear on any cruelty-free list because we think it’s not fair to choose a certain label instead of another (LAV, Peta, etc.)”

Whyyyyyy is this sooooo confusing?!! I would only die if I could use their foundations again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:38 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm seriously debating on whether or not to break my walmart embargo to go check out that Flower Beauty stuff. I haven't stepped inside one in close to 5? 6 years? But I REALLY want some of that nail polish.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am wearing the Flower BB Cream and Zoom-In Ultimate Mascara today. I can't speak to how well it wears since I've only been wearing it for an hour and a half, but so far I like both quite a lot. And you guys, the Ultimate Mascara has the WEIRDEST wand ever! There's a little knob at the end of the handle and you twist it to scrunch the brush end into different configurations. I like the formula, though, and it's actually waterproof enough to do my bottom lashes, which I haven't been able to do since I gave up on UD's Lush Lash. This may be my new daily wear mascara. Definitely not ridiculous drag queen lashes, but so far really good for a drug store mascara.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:32 pm 

allularpunk wrote:
I'm seriously debating on whether or not to break my walmart embargo to go check out that Flower Beauty stuff. I haven't stepped inside one in close to 5? 6 years? But I REALLY want some of that nail polish.

This. I have never shopped at Walmart because we don't have them in NYC and my SO is super opposed to them because of their anti-union stance. There's one near where I live upstate though and I'm sorely tempted to try this line.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Okay, so earlier in the thread I'd asked if anyone knew anything about the status of LORAC - I went ahead and emailed them, asking the standard questions, and this is the response I got today (I cut the pleasantries):

"Thank you for contacting LORAC Cosmetics. LORAC is currently only distributed in the United States. As for animal testing, LORAC does not test any LORAC products on animals. LORAC is not aware of any animal testing performed by any manufacturer with whom LORAC does business. LORAC does not condone the testing of any cosmetic products on animals."

Sounds like maybe they're okay? They don't sell in China, and they don't appear to have a parent company. I can't tell if "we're not aware of any testing done by manufacturers" means "we don't source from manufacturers who test" or "we don't ask if our manufacturers test," though.

This is why I usually just get my makeup info from the ppk. I find interpreting this stuff brain-meltingly confusing and frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:08 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

allularpunk wrote:

I had to last week to buy specialty formulated cat food when the companies app said the closest location to get was WalMart...However I doubt I will be going back to buy makeup...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for the liner recommendations upthread. I will check those out!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm chanting the mantra that I tell my parents to chant when they want that one brand of wine that only the walmart in their town sells: If it only exists at walmart, then it doesn't exist for me.

Maybe someday another store will sell it.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:06 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

allularpunk wrote:
I'm chanting the mantra that I tell my parents to chant when they want that one brand of wine that only the walmart in their town sells: If it only exists at walmart, then it doesn't exist for me.

Maybe someday another store will sell it.

I really like that mantra!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:16 pm 

I wish there was one big comprehensive Sephora list of vegan makeup. Of course that could be bad because i' spend enough there with limited knowledge already.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2978 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 120  Next