| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 109  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:42 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

so i bought a replacement for my ELF daily brush cleaner. i used it yesterday and the scent was so strong i can still smell it when i walk near the bathroom today. it has a weird artificial smell - like the gross/cheap/chemical air freshener your fave Chinese food restaurant uses (you know what i mean!)!

it seems to shift scent each time i buy a new bottle. anyone else buy this product & notice this?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I tried The All Natural Face BB Cream on a whim- it's fairly new and couldn't find any existing reviews online. I like a lot of their stuff but this I give a big thumbs down. It's yellowish, thin, and barely any coverage.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

baps wrote:
zensquiggle wrote:
Is anyone familiar with Neve Cosmetics http://www.nevecosmetics.it? They have quite a lot of vegan options including their Intensissimi palette, which contains all the colors I am afraid to use but secretly want. I know Sugarpill does these kinds of highly pigmented colors, but I like the idea of a palette and all of the Sugarpill palettes seem to have at least one non-vegan color.

Anyhow, they ship internationally plus I ran across a handful of UK distributors... has anyone tried their stuff?

YES! I have 2 of their eyeshadow palletes, I don't have the Intensissimi but as soon as I am working again, it's top of my list.

I have the latest limited edition one which is GORGEOUS and their neutral and blush pallettes for my bridal makeup kit. They're lovely and pigmented and smooth and they are just as good as any MAC shadows. Plus I think the price is brilliant because the pan is twice the size of a mac one - i'll happily take a pic of one next to a mac shadow if you want?

I also have their makeup setting spray and mixing mediums and one of their powder foundations and I like all of them. I would definitely buy more of their stuff.

Hey Baps, is it true the palettes only stay good for 6 months after opening? I saw this on an online review somewhere and it's scared me off. I was about to buy the Elegantissimi but now I'm not sure.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:00 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Powder palettes sort oflast kind of indefinitely especially if you are good about storing and keeping brushes clean. I've got some Chanel powders that are really old, and they smell, look, feel, and act the same. I keep them in their duster bags in a cool, dry drawer and I've always washed my brush after each use. Maybe they have all kinds if scary stuff growing, but I still use them. Don't take this as advice or anything!

Cream products are another story entirely. Ick. Those will go and you will be able to tell.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:21 am 
Ninja Master

Quarantined wrote:
baps wrote:
zensquiggle wrote:
Is anyone familiar with Neve Cosmetics http://www.nevecosmetics.it? They have quite a lot of vegan options including their Intensissimi palette, which contains all the colors I am afraid to use but secretly want. I know Sugarpill does these kinds of highly pigmented colors, but I like the idea of a palette and all of the Sugarpill palettes seem to have at least one non-vegan color.

Anyhow, they ship internationally plus I ran across a handful of UK distributors... has anyone tried their stuff?

YES! I have 2 of their eyeshadow palletes, I don't have the Intensissimi but as soon as I am working again, it's top of my list.

I have the latest limited edition one which is GORGEOUS and their neutral and blush pallettes for my bridal makeup kit. They're lovely and pigmented and smooth and they are just as good as any MAC shadows. Plus I think the price is brilliant because the pan is twice the size of a mac one - i'll happily take a pic of one next to a mac shadow if you want?

I also have their makeup setting spray and mixing mediums and one of their powder foundations and I like all of them. I would definitely buy more of their stuff.

Hey Baps, is it true the palettes only stay good for 6 months after opening? I saw this on an online review somewhere and it's scared me off. I was about to buy the Elegantissimi but now I'm not sure.

Hmm not heard that but I've had my neutral palette from them longer than that and it's still perfect!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 am 
Ninja Master

Just checked my emails. I bought elegantissimi in feb last year. It's still great.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think the technical shelf life for powder products is 2-3 years, but I don't think anything horrifying happens after that time period. Like LW said, as long as they're in a fairly cool place not in direct sun they'll be fine. As for that review, mascara is something you're supposed to toss after six months and that's the product that has the shortest shelf life because it dries out so quickly and gets bacteria in it so easily so there's no way even a cream eyeshadow palette would last for as little time.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I also assumed most powders were fine for extended periods of time, and I'm not super concerned with that kind of stuff anyway. it was just that this one review said specifically the product was only rated for 6 months, so I thought maybe there was something really different about it. I will take that with a grain of salt though since Baps has had no problem.

http://stylishlyorganic.com/2013/06/09/ ... -palettes/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i think i might go buy a baked blush from elf tonight, my fave is almost out but i feel kinda in a peachy-pink mood....blame the valentine's day stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Does anyone have/know of a good replacement for MAC's Blot Powder? It's been my one and only powder for well over a decade, but I obviously won't buy it now. I've tried a couple of Manic Panic's powders, but they don't mattify or control oil for longer than 15 minutes. I really miss Blot Powder; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Would it be more effective to start a thread for this?)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kett Set powder is really good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

tarte has a good setting powder, too.

doesn't get all cakey.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tip for anyone who has eyeliner problems, especially winged liner problems: the new Real Techniques silicone liner brush RULES. I tried it out this morning and managed to do a decent winged liner on my first try! Which is basically a miracle. It's the only brush that's actually let me get super super close to my lashline instead of smearing eyeliner all over my lid. Highly recommended.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've been thinking of ordering that from iHerb! they also have some new retractable kabuki brushes which look interested. I'm obsessed with retractable brushes for some reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've been really interested in that silicone liner brush but I just can't imagine it, is it not too rigid?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's not too rigid... it's pretty flexible and soft actually, but still firm enough to draw a thin line. It doesn't hurt if you poke yourself with the tip or anything. It's great for pushing into your lashline because there are no splaying bristles and it's really easy to clean. The only downside I can think of is that you do have to load it up with product more often than you would a normal brush, but you also lose less when you clean it since it doesn't absorb anything, so it evens out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I noticed today that the new (new packaging anyway) cheek stains and the BB primer are both on Tarte's vegan list now. What the what? They all have carmine under "may contain" but they're all also marked as vegan, so I don't even know. Also Tarte specifically told me that the BB primer stuff wasn't vegan last year and as far as I can tell the ingredients they cited are still on the list. I'm going to shoot them an email and will report back.

Also the cream eyeliner, which used to be on the list, is no longer on the list. But it's still marked as vegan. I sent my email before I noticed that, though. Tarte, why are you so confusing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:17 pm 

Tarte makes no sense.

I decided that 2014 is the year i'm going to make liquid eyeliner my bisque, and i'm just going to keep practicing until my eyes bleed. Other than constantly losing said liquid eyeliner so I can't do it, it's going okay. I haven't been trying crazy wings, and it takes me a sold five minutes, but I think i'm getting it. I've just been using the ELF liner that i've had forever.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I love the metallic olive ELF liner but it dried out horribly. I need to replace it. I'm impressed that your liner only takes 5 minutes! I sat working on mine for at least 20 this morning. I blame the wings. My eyes (like everyone's, I assume) are slightly differently shaped so evening them out was annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Wow. So it's not that I'm bad at makeup. I just don't have the patience you guys have.

Metallic olive liner sounds pretty. My favorite is a metallic taupe/dusty rose/purple kind of color.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think once you're good at it it probably doesn't take that long. I'm just terrible and new at it so it takes forever.

I'd looooove to find a dusty rose liner. Like a plummy mauve. Most of the purples I've seen are more blue-based or royal purples, which I'm not super into.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Mine is a few years old limited edition Chanel. I'll miss it when it's gone. It's not liquid, just a pencil. I almost bought a second one when I realized how much I loved it, but I've always had a strict no backups rule, because that can get silly.

This is more silvery than plum, but it's the exact color to make my hazel eyes look super green whole still being a neutral (bright purples will make them look green too, but then I feel clownish).

I've never tried liquid liner. It scares me, but I'd be more open to experimenting if remover didn't always make me eyes and skin scream.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:40 pm 

My 'trick' is to just drag it across the base of my lashes, really slowly, and I start in almost the middle and then go back and get closer to the tear duct. I don't go all the way in because my eyes look small enough as it is. And then I slowly (oh so slowly) build up the outer part so it's a little thicker.

Also I have this stuff and q-tips for when my hand jerks and I end up with dots on my upper lid:

http://andalou.com/index.php/skin-care/ ... mover.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm not a fan of liquid liner. Or pencils, actually. It's hard to get a super fine line. Gel and cream liners are my favorite and I think the easiest to work with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I wonder if fruit stem cells would be ok or burn like anything with fruit acids do?

I don't have any allergies but sensitivities get ridiculous. My hands are red and bleeding with a bit of rash from the hospital soap for a week. They said I can bring my method soap with me from now on.

I haven't tried the Josie Maran eye shadows yet but they are very soft textured and pretty.

Last edited by lavawitch on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 109  Next