| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

missmuffcake wrote:
i wish tarte & too faced made shopping vegan easier...i want to know if the tarte blush & lip stuff that just came out is vegan.

The cheek stains are definitely not vegan. I emailed about them when I saw them on the vegan page. They contain carmine.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ndpittman wrote:
I haven't tried it, but the blinc eyeshadow primer is vegan.

Blinc are selling in China. I saw it on a vegan beauty blog a few weeks ago, I forget which one, and if you google Blinc Cosmetics China you get a hit for the Blinc UK website that says they sell in China.

Which is freaking awful because Blinc was the only mascara I liked to use on my lower lashes. Also awful because that's yet another company participating in animal testing.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:30 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I still haven't gotten a refund/confirmation of being sent a new eyeshadow from Manic Panic, AND my mascara was already pretty dry when I opened it. I can tell it's been sitting in a warehouse for months because usually fresh MPC mascara is super wet. I had to put some saline solution in there to get anything to stick to my lashes. Should I email them and bisque about it?

In happier news, Target seems to be clearancing out random makeup and what not. Pacfica lip balms, all of the Seventh Generation Lotions and wipes, some PF stuff including the eyeliner trios which are vegan (I even checked one with purple while I was there and saw no carmine listed), and some ELF stuff. I picked up two of the ELF customizable compacts because apparently you can pull the inside part right out, and since the metal in there is magnetized you can put whatever empty pans you want in there. Since I have mostly square pans I thought that was a good idea.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jessilikewhoa wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I haven't tried it, but the blinc eyeshadow primer is vegan.

Blinc are selling in China. I saw it on a vegan beauty blog a few weeks ago, I forget which one, and if you google Blinc Cosmetics China you get a hit for the Blinc UK website that says they sell in China.

Which is freaking awful because Blinc was the only mascara I liked to use on my lower lashes. Also awful because that's yet another company participating in animal testing.

Ugh! What a bummer! Guess that helps me in deciding between the Too Faced and Blinc eyeliners.

One of the cheek stain shades (tipsy) has the vegan symbol on it though, amandabear. Did they say for certain that all of them had carmine?

I like this one, mmc, but it looks like some people say it doesn't 'pop' enough for them either. http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-item-sheer-passion-maracuja-hydrating-cheek-tint

MBM: I'd definitely say something, even if just for their quality control purposes.

ETA: amandabear, Tarte just added the gifted mascara to the vegan page. It always looked OK to me ingredient-wise, but I was being too lazy to email.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Their reply to my email:

"Thank you for contacting tarte cosmetics customer service. We apologize for any confusion and yes, the bb tinted primer is now vegan friendly meaning that it does not contain any animal derived ingredients! The cheek stains have recently been updated and have moved from our vegan page to our regular cosmetic page as they do in fact contain carmine. We hope that this information clears up any confusion that you may have had and if you have additional questions, please do not hesitate reaching out!"

It's possible that they don't ALL contain it, but it sounded to me like they did. I'd shoot them an email if you're curious.

And the Gifted mascara always looked okay to me, too, but so did some other stuff that they ended up telling me wasn't vegan (the bb primer, when it first came out), so I've started exercising a little extra caution with Tarte.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:07 am 
Tofu Pup

Baps- sorry for writing here rather than on your blog (which I'm excited about the revamp by the way), I have terrible trouble writing on blogs via my phone.

I just read the Lee Stafford post and saw the list that they gave of non vegan stuff. When I've looked at their hair sprays before a few that are not listed (hold tight is one and a couple of others I think) have had hydrolysed silk in them, they still say this on the Boots site, but do you know if they have maybe been reformulated recently to remove it? I'll have a look when I'm next in town but just thought I'd ask quickly.

I'm mainly interested as I need hairspray just now and I'm not keen on Superdrug's own.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:18 am 
Ninja Master

Hey, no worries. I have the Hold Tight Firm Hold Barnet Hairspray (GAH, I HATE some of the names! haha) and it definitely doesn't list silk of any type in the ingredients list. Was it that one you were looking at? It's the only hairspray I have of his.

For anyone interested in Illamasqua, they've just confirmed the following products are vegan:

Gel Liner in Infinity
Precision Ink in Scribe
Skin Base Foundation
Sealing Gel
Nail Varnishes
Freak Fragrance
Hydra Veil

They said they have other vegan products too, but it's kind of like how MAC are, you have to email them individual product/shade names and they'll look into it.

It took me several emails chasing and a couple of tweets to get a response off them though so be aware if you do ever contact them, it might take a while!

Edit: also, I give up on NYX! I've just sent them a snarky tweet as a last ditch effort to get them to read my 3 emails, but I don't hold out much hope. But they have just announced that they are selling in a Next store near me so I might go in and read all the pencils and make a note of which say carmine.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My Tarte order came last night, and the only thing that was a winner was the Gifted mascara. Not sure how I rate it against other mascaras, but I like it. Too Faced BB Cream wins this round, but for anyone who doesn't want to look like a 'teen vampire at prom,' then you may like the Tarte better. I loved the texture, but I hadn't realized how matte it is. Actually the coverage is decent though for a BB cream, so there's that. The gunmetal SmolderEyes was much lighter than I thought it would be. Definitely not a replacement for charcoal. It seemed similar to UD's wasteland, but lighter even that that. I went back in with a little black pencil right up against the lashline to get the definition I like. I forgot that I'd ordered the Inner Rim Brightener as well, but I need to email Tarte about it. The box ingredients say beeswax even though the site now says synthetic. Sorry to be all sad trombone up in here! I'm also ordered CoverFX's Illuminator in Moonlight, so hopefully I'll be able to come back with lovely things to say about it. I think I might love using it with the Tarte BB treatment to put in just a little 'glow' compared to the all over shimmer that the Too Faced gives.

Sorry for the wall o' text! Hope you all are feeling beautiful today!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:29 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

baps - thanks for the list! i want a perfume called freak!

damn nyx. i wish they would get on the ball with a vegan list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:52 am 
Ninja Master

Freak is gorgeous. They sent me a tester with an order and I ended up buying the full size.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

going to get a sample first - see how it reacts to my personal smell.

i am thinking Ill's (that is what I choose to abbreviate it by!) Swarm would be a great one shot glitter coat that will look cool & hide chips.

(edit) maybe not - i thought it was just black chunky glitter....it is more tiny glitter making it grey with black chunk bits...it will show chips.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

baps- that's the one, fab, I'll get that then (and soon, as my hair is not coping overly well with this weather!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's too bad the Tarte cheek stains aren't vegan - I have a pre vegan one and it's great.

Missmuffcake, you said you wanted the Too Faced pink leopard blush? Is that the right one? Because it has carmine in it. I hope it was a different one!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think Peach Leopard is the vegan one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh good. Those are so pretty. I love the packaging. Now I have to go back to Sephora and look at the peach one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

the peach one! peach is better on me than pink!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:12 pm 
Ninja Master

Elf are having a 50% off sale plus free shipping. Any suggestions? I'm not sure there's £30 worth of stuff I want?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

baps wrote:
Elf are having a 50% off sale plus free shipping. Any suggestions? I'm not sure there's £30 worth of stuff I want?

I just tried the primer this year, and I LOOOOVE it. I like gel-type primers, which is what this one is. And it is way cheaper than any other primer I have found and liked. I stocked up and bought three of them during the last sale.

I am trying out the bb cream, and so far I like it. If I wear it under my regular makeup (primer, mineral foundation, bronzer and finishing powder) the whole thing stays put all day into late night. Too heavy for me for everyday wear, i worry it would eventually break me out. But awesome when I have to manage an event and its a 16 hour day. I will definitely get more next time I buy elf stuff.

I also stock up on the make up wipes, and the cuticle pens. Oh, and the eye primer.

Those are my go-to ELF items. The actual make up is hit or miss for me. I like the mineral eye shadows (loose powder) and pretty much all of their lip gloss items. That's about it though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:24 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've never tried ELF anything, but that sale is pretty tempting. I've been wanting to try a few of their brushed for awhile, but at 50% off, that's A LOT of stuff to get free shipping. Too bad I didn't get wind of it earlier and could go in on an order with someone. Maybe stock up for gift giving.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:39 pm 

Whoever can't find the Fergie eye primer, cvs.com is having a pretty good deal right now: all beauty stuff is 25% off, plus you can get 20% off your order and free shipping with the codes SAVE20 and FREESHIP.

Beauty includes hair and skin products, and stuff like cotton balls too.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 pm 

The ELF sale is tempting and I have gift cards, but since I just ordered stuff two months ago i'm passing. I'll wait for them to come out with more new items for me to try.

Baps, weren't you looking for undereye concealer? You could use the sale to try out a handful and see if any of them work for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

ELF stuff: The new studio moisturizing lipsticks are really nice. The prism palettes are great. The matte lip color in rich red is one of my favorite red lipsticks ever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 pm 

They're coming out with a blush palette soon. I've noticed that ELF likes to have a big sale right before debuting a new product to sucker people into making two orders, so I wonder if that's coming out next week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ooh, that's exciting. I want a few things, but they're out of some of them so I'll be holding off for now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:17 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I tried the ELF professional stick concealer. Still not as much coverage as I want (I get dark marks for any scars) but better than the PF click one. I might go in and get the Too Faced concealer though I prefer something in stick form.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 116  Next