| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:46 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

poopiebitch wrote:
Hello there makeup-wearing members of the PPK. I have never applied my own makeup, although my sister has put some on me a couple of times (I only tell you this so you can fully appreciate my level of ignorance when it comes to these things). I've always been jealous of people who wore makeup well and I would love to know some basics. I don't really want to start wearing it every day, but there are so many times when I'm going out or to an event, or I just want to feel better about myself, and I wish I knew what I was doing so I could wear a bit of makeup.

I know there is a ton of info in this thread, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the info and don't really know where to start. What do I need? There are so many products and brands! How do you know what colors to buy? Do I need foundation and powder and blush and primer (I don't even know what that is) and eye shadow and eye liner and mascara and lipstick? Can you help me? Is there a good starter tutorial out there you can recommend?

i just started wearing makeup a year or two ago, and i'm still not really comfortable in it, so i stick with a sheer tinted sunblock/moisturizer and translucent powder for my face, and i use foundation or concealer only under my eyes or on really noticeable red spots. i think those items are good basics for getting started, along with a black or brown eyeliner, mascara, and a relatively neutral shadow. i usually apply one eyeshadow shade just on the lid and blend it into the crease a little with my finger, because i get self-conscious when i try to do more than that. i love wet 'n' wild mascara; it's cheap, it doesn't clump, and it doesn't make me feel overdressed. i don't bother with blush. i have a lot of lipsticks, but i almost always wear either a sheer lip tint or a subtle rosey-berry shade. i guess what i aim for is a face that's just finished enough that passersby can tell i didn't wake up, look in the mirror, and say "screw it." i don't know how to be fancy. i have been trying to play around more with my eye makeup lately, but it's meek experimentation (like, colored/metallic eyeliner; whoa, hold the presses).

finding the right foundation shade is hard! you'll have to go places and swatch or order a lot of samples. it took me forever, but i think i have a weird skin tone (pale, but very much on the yellow side). that's also part of the reason i stick to lighter-coverage face makeup.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Oneeeee offff usssss...

If you have absolutely zero makeup, i'd recommend going as cheap as possible especially if you don't plan on wearing it a lot.

http://www.wnwbeauty.com/product2.php?c ... 3&subid=37 eye primer to keep your eyeshadow on, you will be sad without it, trust me
http://www.scrangie.com/2012/05/wet-n-w ... lette.html One of the few WnW trios we know is vegan, and it's three easy starter colors
http://www.wnwbeauty.com/product.php?ci ... 3&subid=24 I know this one is vegan, the waterproof version isn't

If you go to Target you can get some stuff from the ELF studio line, the amount varies by store but their studio (meaning black packaging) blushes are really nice and three dollars, plus they should have at least one of their foundations.

I don't think eyeliner and lipstick are needed for a beginner, I think a tinted lip balm would be fine.

And as for tutorials, I still think Melisser's basic eyeshadow tutorial is the best. Smashbox is no longer cruelty free, but the trio colors are actually very similar to the WnW one I linked to.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

and if you want to go minimal, product and look-wise, you can use your tinted lip balm dabbed on your cheeks as a blusher. I do this on gym-only days. It adds a nice, subtle flush that matches your lips :) and if you have somewhat dry skin it is nice as it doesn't look powdery (cuz it ain't!).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:03 pm 
And you never will.

OMG, this is exactly what I need. Thank you! I will probably be asking a lot of embarrassing questions as I go, so you have that to look forward to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

ask away! I could talk endlessly about food, makeup, and dogs.

it would be fun to have a ppk meetup to take pb, makeup noob, shopping and swatching.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:06 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Heeeey poopiebitch! Welcome to the dark side. We have lipstick.

Most days my makeup is really basic - tinted moisturizer or foundation of some kind, blush, tinted lip balm or lipstick, and mascara. It's enough to get me looking awake and alive but it only takes about 5 minute to do. Since you're just starting out, picking up some cheaper stuff to experiment with and figure out what you like is a great way to go. Some product recommendations:

Foundation/base: ELF's bb cream
Blush: ELF's studio blushes or cream blushes, Milani's baked blush in Luminoso (a pretty peach)
Lip stuff: ELF's essential lip balm tints (love these, super moisturizing), ELF's essential lip gloss sticks (fun jumbo pencils), Elf's studio moisturizing lipsticks (glossy, medium to full coverage), Wet n Wild's megalast lipsticks (matte, very full coverage)
Mascara: Manic Panic's Raven mascara (I haven't had great luck with any of the ELF of WnW mascaras I've tried)
Makeup brushes: I love Eco Tools and Real Techniques but ELF has every brush under the sun as well.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:20 am 
And you never will.

I love you guys so much! I was afraid I'd be laughed outta this thread (why? I don't know). I am making a list and will go this weekend to pick up a few things! One more dumb question: how do you get it off your face? I mean, just regular face wash? What kind of face wash should I use? I probably shouldn't just keep using my shower gel to wash my face, right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ELF makes some good makeup wipes- I use those then do my regular face washing routine. It's mostly eye maekup you need to get off with something other than soap (because ouch). You can use oil on cotton balls for that -I've done that. But I love the ELF wipes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

not all face washes will get all makeup off. i wash my face with diluted bronner's at night, and that gets most of my (generally light) makeup off. i usually use a separate eye-makeup remover before i wash my face (i like the BWC liquid and the earth science chamomile & green tea gel). like blondiefk says, the ELF wipes are good for getting stuff off, but follow up with your regular routine afterward. if the shower gel is working for your skin, go ahead and use it, i guess?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I only use makeup remover on my eyes to get off mascara - I've been using a CVS brand one that looks vegan to me, but I can't confirm it and am eyeing the Earth Science one after I finish it up - and I just wash the rest off with my regular face wash. I've been using one from Trader Joe's on this little scrubby pad from Sephora. http://www.sephora.com/product/productD ... Id=P262041

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:08 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I try to go as natural as possible, so I use coconut oil to get my makeup off. It dissolves waterproof mascara and conditions my lashes, as well. Then I wash with a mild facial soap. A body wash would be too drying for my skin, but everyone is different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:43 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

my skin is combination/dry so I avoid using soap or anything foaming on my face at all. I use a homemade cleansing oil that is basically just various oils combined with PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate which is water soluble, so it rinses clean. That is probably way more than you wanted to know haha. But I second the oil recommendation for removing makeup, then you can follow with gentle soap or whatever.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 am 
Ninja Master

I would stay away from anything foaming on your face because it's too harsh and makeup wipes are a no no too. Sorry I know some of you guys love them but they are not ideal for every day use.

I like this for some further info. She says use flannels, I use muslin cloths to remove my cleanser. Super cheap for a pack of 10 from ebay and you can chuck them in the washing machine after you've used them. http://www.carolinehirons.com/2011/07/c ... sheet.html

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Baps, very good tips in that article, thanks! I may pick up some muslin cloths, I tend to shower at night and just rinse off my cleansing oil in the shower, and in the morning sometimes just use cotton pads to remove cream cleanser which is wasteful. The one thing that has kept me from using washcloths or cloths every day to remove makeup is that the washing machine in my apartment building only has cold water, and I worry about getting them clean.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:12 pm 
And you never will.

Whew, okay! Thanks for the info! I still have a bunch of flannel (or maybe they're velour?) cloth wipes from cloth diapering poopiebaby, so I can use those.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Don't be afraid of lipstick! It's fun, easy and comes off pretty easily if you decide you feel stupid in it. Also, it's the most obvious way to wear some makeup, yet doesn't require the same skill as blending eye shadow or choosing the right color foundation. There's one line of wet 'n wild lipstick that's vegan (megalast, I believe), so you could try a couple - maybe a red, a pink and a brownish-nude-ish color to see if you like any of those on you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i used to use elf wipes - but they started giving my eyelids eczema or conjunctivitis. it was not nice! i use cotton rounds and oil, then right before bed i wash my face with a gentle face wash & use my clairsonic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I've been using the same foundation for years (Neutrogena Healthy Skin). I'm finally at the bottom of my last bottle, and want to find something CF to replace it. I like that it's somewhat lightweight, but still gives me some coverage. I'm not looking for MEGA coverage, but BB creams are too sheer. This hits that nice mid-point. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

not one foundation - but i mix bb cream with lush's foundation. i like a mid coverage foundation to and this is good. the one urban decay put out was awesome - then they had to go sell out...boo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:26 am 
Ninja Master

Can you guys get GOSH? I'm not sure if it's just europe but for anyone who can, they've just posted their updated vegan list on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gosh-UK/137224756349645

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love Gosh! They were my first BB cream.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:21 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thanks for posting Baps! GOSH is pretty easy to get here, but I haven't tried much of their stuff. I will now!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:29 am 
Ninja Master

I'm excited there's a mascara and that their cc cream is vegan because I LOVE that. Gonna buy their bb cream as well now and maybe a couple of eyeliners.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:33 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm a fuss-ass about ingredients in makeup (besides being vegan) so I find it a Pain when companies don't put up full ingredient lists for their products. Just went to have a look-see at Gosh stuff and no ingredients!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:19 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Zelavie, check out Wet 'n Wild coveral foundation. I have various foundations from expensive brands to drugstore and this one is one of my favorite!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 118  Next