| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 109  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey makeup experts, I'm looking for a good eyeliner. I usually have a pretty neutral look - mascara and sometimes a bit of warm-coloured eye shadow, but since I can't wear nail polish at work, I'd like a way to add a little bit of colour once in a while. I think I want a shimmery teal eyeliner, but I have no idea which brands are good/bad/vegan/etc. Any recommendations? (I live in Canada, if that matters!) Also, it's summer and I find that my eyeliner kind of.. slips? and starts to smear around. How do I control that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

amandabear wrote:
Zensquiggle, I also love Serendipity, but my favorite Fyrinnae is Witchy Woodland Creatures... it's the perfect shimmery cocoa taupe. I am actually planning to get a full size, which I never do.

Re: FLOWER Beauty... where did you even find ingredients?? I haven't been able to anywhere.
I've got Witchy Woodland Creatures! I haven't worn it in a while... I should bust it out again and see how it looks on me.

The only place I've found the ingredients for Flower's makeup is on the packaging. They've got a small selection at my local Walmart and I'm always on the lookout for good vegan mascara so I browsed through it. They have a lot of CF claims on the packaging, but they're being distributed by another company (Maesa, which appears to be a contract manufacturer) so I'm not sure how CF they really are. And the mascara I looked at called out specifically that the beeswax was synthetic and the glycerin was vegetable-based, which kinda makes it look like they're aiming for vegan-ness, but there's no real way to tell since they haven't answered my emails.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:09 pm 

bodhi wrote:
Hey makeup experts, I'm looking for a good eyeliner. I usually have a pretty neutral look - mascara and sometimes a bit of warm-coloured eye shadow, but since I can't wear nail polish at work, I'd like a way to add a little bit of colour once in a while. I think I want a shimmery teal eyeliner, but I have no idea which brands are good/bad/vegan/etc. Any recommendations? (I live in Canada, if that matters!) Also, it's summer and I find that my eyeliner kind of.. slips? and starts to smear around. How do I control that?
Since Urban Decay was purchased by L'Oreal, I've been buying my eyeliner from Too Faced, https://www.toofaced.com/p-524-perfect-eyes-eyeliner.aspx?. I use the black and it has great staying power, but they have a really pretty teal too. It doesn't look shimmery, though.

They also have a super glittery liner that I haven't tried... https://www.toofaced.com/p-552-starry-eyed-liquid-liners.aspx if you really feel like rebelling.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:13 pm 

Speak of the devil, I just got a response from Flower Beauty:

Quote:
Hi zensquiggle,

We never test on animals.

There is no animal testing done on any formula or ingredient. This includes raw materials for our formulas. We are not affiliated with any companies that test products or ingredients on animals.

Our cosmetics lab has signed a Statement of Assurance with PETA. Our ingredients are non-toxic according to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.

Our products do not contain any animal-derived ingredients.

Thank you,
Cory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Whoa, hello there Flower Beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Holy! Melisser had tweeted at Flower but I don't think they ever responded. Now I need to go to Walmart for two reasons, Flower Beauty, and the Salon Perfect Floam nail polish dupe I've been hunting for (Salon Perfect are owned by China Glaze's parent company, and the ingredients on all the polishes I've bought from them have been vegan).

Re: all the recs for Sugarpill, I have all her vegan pressed shadows except the white, the black, and Mochi, but I plan on ordering Mochi soon. I have Palettes from Pretty Zombie and from Lunatick Cosmetik Labs too. I just want more, all the time! I want to order some pressed shadows from Darla Cosmetics too, because the owner is a friend of a makeup artist friend and the makeup artist friend recommended I try her stuff.

For liners I like the Liquid Eye pencils from Milani for pencils, and for liquid I like Wet n Wild's non-waterproof liners (vegan except the purple shade), Milani's Ultrafine Liquid liner (the ingredients say may contain carmine on these, so I only bought Sparkling Turquoise and Emerald Glisten) and I have the blue liner from Zuzu Luxe which is really pretty. Lush have a gorgeous sort of sky blue liner I want to check out, and if I could find it in stock anywhere I'd love to get Stila's Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Turquoise because it looks really cool and pastel in pics. Also Illamasqua Precision Ink in Scribe, because white eyeliner is pleasantly creepy.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Kelly wrote:

How you doin', Flower Beauty? Seriously I am going to investigate this situation. NEED MORE MAKEUP.

When they say ANY animal-derived ingredients, do they mean... any at all? Is the whole line vegan?? Whoamigod.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:08 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Not looking good for Clarins being animal testing free. I haven't read through the whole thing yet.http://demandware.com/uploads/resource/RIS_Clarins_Casestudy.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

If this keeps up eventually I'll just be stuck drawing on my face with markers.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:20 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

amandabear wrote:
Kelly wrote:

How you doin', Flower Beauty? Seriously I am going to investigate this situation. NEED MORE MAKEUP.

When they say ANY animal-derived ingredients, do they mean... any at all? Is the whole line vegan?? Whoamigod.

Yeah, someone needs to go and check for some of the basic offenders, like beeswax in the mascara and carmine. I am automatically suspicious of any brand that just says they're all vegan if they're not run by a vegan, especially a brand that's big enough to be sold (exclusively?) in Walmart.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

My friend has a few of the Flower Beauty nail polishes and I think they're gorgeous.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 pm 

If you can find vegan markers!!! Maybe some ash from a burnt out fire for smokey eyes and the rub some red rose petals on our cheeks and lips for that red tint?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:28 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Also, if you live near a CVS, get your butt down there with your CVS card (and if you don't have one, seriously get one, it's one of the few store loyalty cards I have), and peep this:

Go to the coupon machine and wave your card at it and it should spit out a coupon for $4 off of any $12 makeup purchase (if you don't get it the first time, wave again and it will spit out more coupons, but you might not get it)
Buy any Physician's Formula priced over $10 (which I think is most of it), get $6 Extrabucks (which is really just a coupon for $6 off of your next CVS purchase)

I got the tinted moisturizer, which is $11.99 and still counts as $12, so I paid $8 and got $6 back. CVS runs promos on PF all the time, I got the same thing the last time they had an Extrabucks deal for it and have been using it pretty steadily. It's thin and doesn't have great coverage, but it's good for summer and it's not yellow tinted!

http://veggie-beauty.blogspot.com/2011/ ... rmula.html (for some of their vegan options)

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

About Flower Beauty: Tashina from Logical Harmony posted some photos of the products on her Instagram and said they are 100% vegan. I had purchased a few items from them when they first launched and saw "carmine" on the ingredients label, and so I commented on Tashina's photo and told her as such. She replied stating that the Flower Beauty reps confirm there is no animal-derived ingredients in any of their products and that carmine is a labeling error.

Here's a link to the photo: http://instagram.com/p/alywAhjHhW/

Here's my makeup question: any good recs for waterproof mascara OR any mascara that holds a curl? My lashes are stick-straight and barely hold a curl even after curling them, and YouTuber LeighAnnSays recommended waterproof mascara to hold a curl in a recent video. I tried the e.l.f. Studio Waterproof Lengthening and Volumizing mascara and it didn't do a whole lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm 

Anyone know if the NYX primer is vegan? I can't find the ingredients online.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Have you checked the Ulta site for ingredients? They've had them for every NYX product I've looked at on there. Which primer? The Pore Filler is vegan as far as I can tell, but I don't know about the others.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

joyfulvegan I have found Blinc mascara pretty waterproof on me and they do a cheap tester (also of their eyeliner) so you can try it and see how you get on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:40 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Yeah, someone needs to go and check for some of the basic offenders, like beeswax in the mascara and carmine. I am automatically suspicious of any brand that just says they're all vegan if they're not run by a vegan, especially a brand that's big enough to be sold (exclusively?) in Walmart.
The beeswax is listed in the ingredients as synthetic. I've already sent an email about carmine... it's listed under the "may contain" section of some of the lipsticks, but it looks like every single possible red colorant is listed so it may just be a really generic label. We shall see what they say. Now that I'm in direct contact with someone hopefully I'll get a quick response.

ETA: joyfulvegan beat me to it! I'll still post whatever response I get from Flower, too, for posterity's sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

joyfulvegan wrote:
Here's my makeup question: any good recs for waterproof mascara OR any mascara that holds a curl? My lashes are stick-straight and barely hold a curl even after curling them, and YouTuber LeighAnnSays recommended waterproof mascara to hold a curl in a recent video. I tried the e.l.f. Studio Waterproof Lengthening and Volumizing mascara and it didn't do a whole lot.

I haven't found a great waterproof vegan mascara, I use Blinc on my lower lashes, but it doesn't have enough oompf for my top lashes. I've instead been using Anastasia Lash Genius waterproof top coat over regular mascaras I like. I dunno if it would help with holding curl though.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:46 pm 

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Have you checked the Ulta site for ingredients? They've had them for every NYX product I've looked at on there. Which primer? The Pore Filler is vegan as far as I can tell, but I don't know about the others.

Thanks! I'm going through each ingredient of the hd studio photographic one. That's the only one I can get here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

joyfulvegan wrote:
About Flower Beauty: Tashina from Logical Harmony posted some photos of the products on her Instagram and said they are 100% vegan. I had purchased a few items from them when they first launched and saw "carmine" on the ingredients label, and so I commented on Tashina's photo and told her as such. She replied stating that the Flower Beauty reps confirm there is no animal-derived ingredients in any of their products and that carmine is a labeling error.

I'd be super stoked if the whole line is vegan, but if it is I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it. You'd think they'd advertise that sort of thing, or at least make their ingredients lists readily available on the website.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't find it but didn't someone mention a purple eyeliner that is vegan?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:30 pm 

blondiefk wrote:

Perfect Purple is vegan: https://www.toofaced.com/p-524-perfect-eyes-eyeliner.aspx?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Milani Liquid Eye Liquid-Like eyeliner pencils look to be vegan when I go through the ingredients, and they have purple. I haven't emailed the company though, so my judgement isn't infallible. It looks to be mostly silicones, parabens, and synthetic dyes. No carmine, no beeswax, nothing with stearic or stearate in the name, no lanolin, no glycerine from unknown sources. It all looks good to me. They go on super smooth too, and don't smudge once they set.

Actually, hold the phone, the purple might not be vegan, because the ingredients on the Milani website are different from the ingredients on the package, and the ingredients on the website have carmine in the may contain. But the blues, greens, teals, and blacks should all be fine.

I'll just be off being grumpy in the corner because of stupid ingredient disparities.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zensquiggle wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Perfect Purple is vegan: https://www.toofaced.com/p-524-perfect-eyes-eyeliner.aspx?

If I hadn't just bought eyeliners from Stila (turquoise) and Illamsqua (white) like an hour ago I would be so up on this.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 109  Next