| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

I received a parcel today from cruelty free - http://www.beautifulmovementscosmetics.com/

The Beautiful Movements Cosmetics range has the approval of the BUAV (British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection).

I bought a gloss, a finishing powder (dewy perfection, how could I resist) and a mascara ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:55 pm 
Dead by dawn

ndpittman wrote:
Yeah, I think Tarte might be my favorite. I don't know. I go between Tarte, Too Faced, and my last tube of UD Lush Lash. I need to remember when the Lush Lash dries up to keep the brush! I like that spiky mustard.

Ooh, good idea. I have a just-about-empty tube of Lush Lash and have been using the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. Love the mascara, hate the gigantic clumpy brush (although I've seen pics of what Too Faced thinks their brush looks like... would that that were the case. Mine looks like a tarantula lost a fight with a mascara wand.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I wish I had thought of that before I tossed my dried up tube of Lush Lash! You can sanitize the brush with alcohol too.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

monkeytoes wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Yeah, I think Tarte might be my favorite. I don't know. I go between Tarte, Too Faced, and my last tube of UD Lush Lash. I need to remember when the Lush Lash dries up to keep the brush! I like that spiky mustard.

Ooh, good idea. I have a just-about-empty tube of Lush Lash and have been using the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. Love the mascara, hate the gigantic clumpy brush (although I've seen pics of what Too Faced thinks their brush looks like... would that that were the case. Mine looks like a tarantula lost a fight with a mascara wand.)

Mine too! And I like it, but that keeps me from using it more often.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

blondiefk wrote:
Thanks. I'm hoping Sephora will have the BL or Spa Ritual one because I don't want to order online and I don't know anywhere I can buy No Miss.

I get mine at Whole Foods, though I know different locations have different products so I can't promise it'll be at yours.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I'm excited because Tigi is coming out with cosmetics! My hairstylist is one of their educators and she is also vegan, so she will be able to hook me up with which products are vegan-friendly.

Apropos, I wanted to ask if anyone has suggestions for cruelty-free and cheap costume makeup? I want to paint my face like a sugar skull for Halloween and obviously my regular lady makeup will fall a little short. But since it's only for Halloween I don't want to drop a bundle on super pro brands.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ACK! I think I just found the perfect white shadow base!
http://www.occmakeup.com/store/cart.php ... TE%3A+VICE

The creme color concentrates are pretty dry/firm, and don't budge, so over a primer, and under a powder shadow, I'm near certain this would withstand even oily lids.

Need moneys now.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I'm excited because Tigi is coming out with cosmetics! My hairstylist is one of their educators and she is also vegan, so she will be able to hook me up with which products are vegan-friendly.

Tigi actually got bought by Unilever awhile back, unfortunately, though if you don't mind testing parent companies, I think Tigi themselves still don't test.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

teacup wrote:
I received a parcel today from cruelty free - http://www.beautifulmovementscosmetics.com/

The Beautiful Movements Cosmetics range has the approval of the BUAV (British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection).

I bought a gloss, a finishing powder (dewy perfection, how could I resist) and a mascara ...

Just a heads up- it looks like that mascara has beeswax. I didn't look at any of the other products.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, and Wet n Wild put out face paint kits every Halloween under their Fantasy Makers line, though I don't know if they're vegan, just that they're cheap and cruelty free.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:56 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Oh, and Wet n Wild put out face paint kits every Halloween under their Fantasy Makers line, though I don't know if they're vegan, just that they're cheap and cruelty free.

Good to know! thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 pm 

I think my next makeup purchase is going to be pressing materials so I can press my loose eyeshadows. It'll save space and maybe i'll actually use more of them, since my loose eyeshadows are at the back of my drawer and things like the UD 'vegan' palette are at the front, so I tend to reach for those instead of shuffling through a bunch of dusty jars. The supplies on TKB trading are actually pretty cheap.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Be sure to post how it goes, I love the look of some loose shadows, but hate the mess. If pressing turns out to be easy, I'm so in.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 pm 

There are a ton of videos on youtube, the worst I think they can happen is that they'll break or be too soft, in which case you can just put them back in their loose jar and the texture is a little different. I bought some pressed eyeshadows once from a girl who was just starting out and they didn't hold up in shipping (so she quit doing it), so what I ended up doing was cleaning some old Everyday Minerals sample jars and depotting them into those.

I'm going to order fractionated coconut oil as a pressing medium. I don't know if it'll be needed for pre-made eyeshadows (like the ELF mineral ones), but I want to have it in case just using alcohol doesn't give me the results I want.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

I remember asking tigi like 14 years ago what is vegan with no response - do you have a list or some must try products?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:27 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Apropos, I wanted to ask if anyone has suggestions for cruelty-free and cheap costume makeup? I want to paint my face like a sugar skull for Halloween and obviously my regular lady makeup will fall a little short. But since it's only for Halloween I don't want to drop a bundle on super pro brands.

I would recommend a combination of:

http://www.manicpaniccollection.com/Sup ... _p_12.html

And a white eyeshadow to set it with, any matte white. That creme foundation doesn't have super great coverage so if you want a face so white it's like a mask it probably isn't what you want, but with a white eyeshadow on top it should be fairly opaque. Hmmm, I can swatch this and put it on instagram for you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I think my next makeup purchase is going to be pressing materials so I can press my loose eyeshadows. It'll save space and maybe i'll actually use more of them, since my loose eyeshadows are at the back of my drawer and things like the UD 'vegan' palette are at the front, so I tend to reach for those instead of shuffling through a bunch of dusty jars. The supplies on TKB trading are actually pretty cheap.

I've been wanting to do this for a while but haven't gotten around to ordering supplies. I have a billion mini Fyrinnae shadows and ELF mineral shadows that I just never use because it's more work than a pressed or cream shadow. It seems easy enough and actually kind of fun.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

And a white eyeshadow to set it with, any matte white. That creme foundation doesn't have super great coverage so if you want a face so white it's like a mask it probably isn't what you want, but with a white eyeshadow on top it should be fairly opaque. Hmmm, I can swatch this and put it on instagram for you?

Oooh, I forgot Manic Panic does makeup, too. I will definitely look into those. As far as it being super opaque that shouldn't be a huge issue- I'm going to be decorating pretty ornately so any white patches that don't seem solid enough I can just touch up later.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:14 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Oooh, I forgot Manic Panic does makeup, too. I will definitely look into those. As far as it being super opaque that shouldn't be a huge issue- I'm going to be decorating pretty ornately so any white patches that don't seem solid enough I can just touch up later.

Okay, I have to take back my recommendation because I forgot how difficult this stuff is to apply and get even (I also don't have a white matte eyeshadow, just one that's glittery and has duochrome). And you really don't get that much so $10 is pretty high for the amount of product and coverage and how much you have to use. That OCC stuff that Jessi posted costs twice as much, but it's a slightly more product and definitely better quality. It's from their newest collection, but if you go to Sephora they probably have it and you can swatch it on your hand and try it out. Whatever you have left over can be used as an eyeshadow base so it definitely won't go to waste.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:19 pm 

Also, Manic Panic Collection is all vegan, but their regular line isn't. I don't think there's a list anywhere either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:04 am 
Baking In The Flavor

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Ooo, please let us know how it goes!! I have the UD Naked palette dupes from Silk Naturals, and they are gorgeous, but loose eyeshadows are a pain in the asparagus and I find myself not wearing them as often. I really want to press them and put them in a Z palette or something and I would probably wear them on the daily.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I didn't know that it was even possible to press loose powder at home.

I went to Walmart to price medications and went to look for the Flower makeup and they didn't have any. No Hard Candy either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 pm 

Supposedly Flower is only in Supercenters, I haven't looked here yet because I still haven't psyched myself up to going to Walmart. Melisser said she had to call around to multiple stores to find it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, it wasn't in the regular Walmart I pass on my drive home. I think it's in one of the bigger ones around here, but it's a decent drive so I haven't made the trip yet.

I ordered a lipstick from The Elixery today - Dessa. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect deep red. Dessa promises not to turn pink on yellow skin tones, which, if it's true, I will buy like four truckloads full of that single color because nearly every damn red lipstick I own either looks pink as soon as I put it on or fades to a pink stain. Super annoying. I thought OCC's Vintage might fit the bill, but alas, that lovely deep burgundy tube of goo looks dark raspberry on my lips. It is less drying than the other lip tars I have, so at least there's that.

So I was poking around the Sephora website earlier today and noticed that what look like Tarte's holiday sets are available. The interesting thing is that all of the blushes appear to be vegan. Their normal amazonian clay blushes have beeswax, lanolin, and sometimes carmine in them, but the one in that blush/bronzer duo doesn't, and all none of the ones in these sets do either. Maybe they're reformulating? They should, because I would pretty much just send them my paycheck if they were vegan. Either way there's one blush palette I'm going to jump on asap if they confirm it's vegan.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:48 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

amandabear wrote:
I ordered a lipstick from The Elixery today - Dessa. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect deep red. Dessa promises not to turn pink on yellow skin tones, which, if it's true, I will buy like four truckloads full of that single color because nearly every damn red lipstick I own either looks pink as soon as I put it on or fades to a pink stain.

ooooh, let us know how it holds up! i've been eyeing some of their yellow-based reds for a while, but i couldn't find anyone who'd bought from them before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 108  Next