| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey look! A general makeup thread!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:40 am 
Ninja Master

Oh that's exciting about OCC pencils. i love OCC.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:03 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have about five things of barely used liquid foundation so I don't feel as bad hoarding make up since a lot of us are doing it! It's so hard to not buy more. How many lipsticks do I really need?? If I were to never buy make up again there's product I would have enough of to hand down to my grand kids that I don't have.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My makeup is limited to one (well-organized) drawer. Not that long ago I threw out 5-10 items, most of it was ELF stuff that I got from like their mystery grab-bag, or a Body Shop primer that was 9,000 years old that I tried to use up and it made me break out. My biggest crime is running out of something that I don't plan on buying the same kind of, getting the replacement, opening it and using that instead of finishing off the last of the thing i'm replacing. The thing i'm currently using up is a sample size of an Origins tinted moisturizer and yes, I got it before they got bought out. I swear it's a never-ending bottle.

Right now i'm trying out a lot of the Megalasts because I think most lipsticks that aren't close to my natural lip color look terrible on me, that's why I have like 8 bronzers. I don't need that many bronzers, but I bought that many in pursuit of finding shades that worked for my paleness, and now that I have I don't have to buy bronzer again for like five years. The Megalasts are so cheap so if I don't like the shade on me I don't feel like it's a big waste and if I do like it, I know I can get a similar shade in other brands if I want.

Here's a shitty instagram photo of my makeup drawer:

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:43 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My husband and I just moved, and all of my makeup took up SIX of Home Depot's medium-sized cardboard moving boxes. Granted, most of the makeup was in plastic drawers and those take up a lot of space, but still. I'm saving up for the ALEX drawers from IKEA (link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192822/) because I saw some YouTube beauty gurus using it for makeup storage and I think I can corral all my makeup in that one unit. I hope. I don't know, I tend to hoard makeup, and I have a strange compulsion to own everything e.l.f. makes, and generally, if it's inexpensive makeup and vegan I feel I need to own it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:45 am 

I only throw out things if they are so awful I know in my heart of hearts that i'll never use them for anything, or if it's something that can dry up and has.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

joyfulvegan wrote:
My husband and I just moved, and all of my makeup took up SIX of Home Depot's medium-sized cardboard moving boxes. Granted, most of the makeup was in plastic drawers and those take up a lot of space, but still. I'm saving up for the ALEX drawers from IKEA (link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192822/) because I saw some YouTube beauty gurus using it for makeup storage and I think I can corral all my makeup in that one unit. I hope. I don't know, I tend to hoard makeup, and I have a strange compulsion to own everything e.l.f. makes, and generally, if it's inexpensive makeup and vegan I feel I need to own it.

This makes me feel better about my three shoebox size bins of makeup. I'm also obsessed with cheap vegan makeup. I have a ton of ELF and WnW stuff I don't know if I'll ever use. Plus right now I have five different lipsticks and a tinted lip balm in my purse.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:00 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

MBM that looks so organized! I have mine in 2 big make up bags, like all the make up i am not using now and one bag for the stuff I do use, so 3 bags total. And a gazillion body lotions, moisturizers etc. I will be set when the world finally ends.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:23 pm 

It's one of those things that I have to keep organized or it will end up in a big pile on the counter. I am kind of a slob but having a vague place for everything makes it easier for me to put things back right after I use them.

So we went to see my father-in-law today and Ulta had Butter London stuff in the clearance bins...for $15. And the lip glosses were still full price. I also swatched some of their cream eyeshadows on my hand, we aren't missing anything if those aren't vegan because they are weak in color payoff. They also had a place for Spa Ritual polishes but the rack was totally empty.

And then I went to TJ Maxx (and i'll update that thread) and they annoyingly arrange things by color instead of product type, so when I found a mother loving Too Faced BB cream for $9.99 that was at least three shades too dark for me, I spent 10 minutes combing the shelves for another one. Brian came in from the game store and I was clutching the one I found and said 'HELP ME FIND THIS I NEED THIS ANYTHING THAT SAYS TOO FACED'. No dice.

And then we went to Meijer because they tend to have random Color Club stuff, and they've totally redone the inside of the store and now they have a proper, full makeup aisle with Wet n' Wild (Fergie, eyeshadow singles and all), they now carry ELF (about the same selection as Target), and China Glaze. No Halloween colored mascara though.

So I came home totally empty-handed, but that's probably for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:01 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Macy's was sold out of Better Than Sex...I bought a WnW mascara - the purple tube, one of the few without bees wax...I needed it, my tube of BTS was crusty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

With the exception of the Urban Decay Lush Lash I'm using up that's my super quick doesn't budge lazy day mascara, there's not a single mascara I own that I don't layer the purple tube WnW over. It's just so dark glossy black, that it makes everything better.

I don't know the technical amount of makeup I own, because it long ago overflowed the small tupperware drawer units I bought for it, and is instead in a jumble constantly spilling off the shelf in my linen closet in my bathroom. I'm thinking it's at least half a Helmer worth. It's hard to estimate. I have at least 15 lipsticks in my purse too. And I have a Helmer and a half worth of nail polish.

I don't feel bad though, not really. Almost the only thing I ever buy is makeup, nail polish, and hair junk. Other than that maybe twice a year I get a few new tshirts or cardigans, a pair of cheap boots, and I buy maybe one or two albums, maybe a book or two. I still wear tshirts I've had for a decade, and I listen to music from high school, and reread the same handful of books. So I feel like my grooming fixation is ok.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:20 pm 

Yeah, i'm pretty much the same way. I stopped buying new clothes three months before I quit my job because I knew I was quitting, I never eat out unless we visit family, I am a coupon queen at the grocery store. I buy video games sometimes. If we didn't keep having dumb expenses pop up (Chester, that fridge, maybe i'd like to have a dining room table before the end of the year) I would probably have another huge bag of ELF in that drawer. That's also a few weeks old so it doesn't include the lipsticks i've gotten, and my lip balm collection is divided between my desk and my purse.

Also you should see my lotion collection. I have a bottle in every bathroom, on my desk, in the kitchen, in my purse, I think I have one stashed in the car...

Speaking of top mascaras, I really like the Glam Natural sample that came in The VC box for that. It's definitely not volumizing, but it does lengthen and perk those babies up when you put it on top of something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Is Glam Natural the brand name? I haven't heard of them.

I don't have a ton of lotion, but I have a very serious lip balm problem. Like I have 4 tubes on my desk right now, I had five but I moved one of them across the room to the end table by the sofa cause I need to constantly have lip balm in reaching distance.

Which reminds me that I need to buy more of the Hurraw Moon Balm so it gets here before it gets cold enough to turn the heat on. That's seriously the only chapstick that keeps my lips anywhere near human in the winter.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:48 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Does anyone have a video tutorial on doing your eyebrows they like? I looked on YouTube but I have no idea who's good and who isn't. Does anyone do threading?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:03 am 

So you mean just removing hair, or like videos on filling in and grooming your brows?

The answer to the second half of your question is that almost every beauty guru on youtube is awful. Most of them are incredibly annoying, or only do videos that they got free products for, and the cruelty-free/vegan selection is so sad. Whenever I find someone on youtube who says they're vegan they really mean vegan until makeup. There are a lot of girls on youtube into natural beauty, but they're kind of rude about it and obviously they're really into products that use a lot of beeswax and shiitake.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I need to know how to thin and shape my natural brows. I have the makeup part down.

Maybe I should just get threaded

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just maintain mine by tweezing stray hairs. But I overplucked them to oblivion in my 90's youth, so there's really not a lot left for me to deal with.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Not a video, but maybe this would help?

http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/eyebrow-shaping-tips#slide-1

I see this image a lot in regards to shaping.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i get mine threaded! i love it, and i just maintain with tweezing in between. i also get them tinted on threading days, because my eyebrows are blonde and i think they stand out a little better when they're a shade or two darker than their natural color.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks NDP. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Bluedawg, yeah, the only time I did threading was when my hair was auburn because when I penciled my eyebrows in darker they were a mess that is less noticeable when they are their natural blonde.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:58 pm 
Ninja Master

I would recommend threading as well. I have mine done once a month then tweeze the strays in between. They make a much better job of it than I could do on myself.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:06 pm 

I have actually been needing to look at that, too. I get my eyebrows waxed, but that along with mani/pedis are going by the wayside as I re-budget for single life. I just cleaned out my makeup drawer to take inventory, so I feel a lot better about that. How long do you all keep powder eyeshadows?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:10 pm 

Forever! I think the technical shelf-life is 3-4 years but i'm not even sure what happens when eyeshadow goes 'bad'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:15 pm 

You know how you can fix a broken powder with alcohol? I'm wondering if you can disinfect like that, too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Spraying/wiping a powder down with alcohol shouldn't hurt it. And if you're really worried about something, you could always just scrape off the top layer of product. But yeah, I still have pregan powder stuff, which means it's at least 9 years old and nothing has given me disfiguring facial gangrene or anything. I don't throw powder stuff out unless it shatters and I'm too lazy to fix it.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

You can fix broken powder??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 118  Next