| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does anyone have an electric car? or a plugin that is both?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:59 pm 
WRETCHED

So I didn't think I could really do an electric because charging up my car would mean dragging a cable across a public sidewalk but I'm starting to think it might be feasible. I live in a townhome that has a parking lot in front of it. From where I normally park (but not guaranteed parking), it is only 20 ft from where the plug is to where the car hookup would be. I was looking at the Chevy Volt, which is a plug in but also can run on gas. Could I really do this? Does anyone else have a plugin car?

Post subject: Re: Does anyone have an electric car? or a plugin that is bo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We are leasing a Nissan Leaf (that we love). We live in a house, but only have a carport. We park it under the carport and plug it in out there. It charges overnight on a 120V connection.

Personally, I would feel extremely sketchy about running any kind of a power cord over a public walkway if it was raining or snowy/slushy, but maybe someone else will chime in.

I think the things I love most about it are: 1. quiet, 2. peppy handling, 3. never having to stop at a gas station.

I hope it works out!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:07 am 
WRETCHED

I figured right now probably isn't the time, I did end up getting a Prius, which I really like. It is a shame too because I'm probably a classic electric user minus a good place to plug it in (low mileage, close to home, etc). But I also think now that I can convince my husband that we use my car as a weekend car so maybe it'll get more use.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Congratulations!! We had an old-school, pre-plugin 2001 Prius for about 11 years. We loved that thing to death. We had to replace the battery once, not under warranty, and that was hella expensive, but we still loved the car! I'm sure you'll be really happy with yours. The hybrid feature makes it really easy to use for long-distance trips, something that requires more planning with all-electric cars.

One reason why we felt comfortable leasing is that we feel confident that by the time the lease is up, the driving range will be much improved and we'll have a built-in opportunity to take advantage of it.

And...someday gas prices will go back up, and then you'll be SO glad you have the Prius (or any other high-MPG car).

Happy driving! Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We wanted to buy an electric car, but couldn't afford it. We ended up with a 2008 Prius, and love that thing - the most reliable car that we've ever had, and it's pretty great to pay less than $20 to fill it up once a week.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:38 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't know about other cars, but my charging cable is only 20 ft. You may have had a major problem if you couldn't get the right parking space. There's also the liability issue of running a cable across a public walkway. Also, depending on the car, charging on less than a 240-volt outlet can be an exercise in frustration. During the week I waited for the electrician to install mine, I was sitting in the dealer's lot every night charging my car.

So, good choice on the Prius. Enjoy it!