| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WARM vegan shoes for winter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:34 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

It is a bummer! I wrote back and asked if they could verify what wasn't vegan about the shoe, since everything says rubber, faux-leather, faux-shearling, etc. (I'm being a pest.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

I need help guys, I'm from Australia so I have approximately 0 winter boot experience, but I'm currently studying in Norway - so I need some serious snow boots!

Has anyone contacted Sorel about vegan styles this year? or has anyone bought a pair they can recommend? I keep reading the Tivoli is the way to go, but then some websites advertise them as having leather instead of rubber for the toe? (maybe I'm translating poorly from Norwegian on that one)

The Snowlion mentioned above looks great, but I can't find it on a Norwegian website to order :(
(online ordering from outside Norway isn't really an option unfortunately - complicated customs and postbox issues)

I have emailed them myself, so we'll see what they say...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jackal wrote:
Has anyone contacted Sorel about vegan styles this year? or has anyone bought a pair they can recommend? I keep reading the Tivoli is the way to go, but then some websites advertise them as having leather instead of rubber for the toe? (maybe I'm translating poorly from Norwegian on that one)

The Snowlion mentioned above looks great, but I can't find it on a Norwegian website to order :(

Sorel boot selections seem different here than on American sites for some reason. I haven't seen vegan Tivoli boots here, but some Winter Carnival seem to be. Also, Norway isn't necessarily THAT cold depending on which part of the country you're in...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:08 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i bought a pair of black pleather combat boots from American Eagle lined in faux sherpa! Cozy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 am 
Tofu Pup

fruitbat wrote:
jackal wrote:

Sorel boot selections seem different here than on American sites for some reason. I haven't seen vegan Tivoli boots here, but some Winter Carnival seem to be. Also, Norway isn't necessarily THAT cold depending on which part of the country you're in...

You're right, I actually live in Bergen so it hardly ever snows at all, but I spend a lot of time in the mountains and I'm going to Lapland in December.

I thought the same thing about the Winter Carnival ones, but then read some consistently atrocious reviews for them on the Canadian website :( fingers crossed I'll find another option

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:14 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jackal wrote:
You're right, I actually live in Bergen so it hardly ever snows at all, but I spend a lot of time in the mountains and I'm going to Lapland in December.

Haha, Bergen makes me say Gore-Tex rather than snowboots. You may want to check Columbia, Icebug and Salomon for vegan alternatives as well. I'm actually eyeing some Merrell (mid) for myself, but I usually stay in the city so deep snow isn't much of a concern. I do live too far north where it is too cold, though, so there's that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:46 am 
Tofu Pup

fruitbat wrote:
jackal wrote:

Haha, Bergen makes me say Gore-Tex rather than snowboots. You may want to check Columbia, Icebug and Salomon for vegan alternatives as well. I'm actually eyeing some Merrell (mid) for myself, but I usually stay in the city so deep snow isn't much of a concern. I do live too far north where it is too cold, though, so there's that.

Thanks for the suggestions! Found some great Columbia ones, now I have options :)

I emailed Sorel about the Cumberland NL1436, since it looked synthetic but then they went and described it as "wind resistant PU coated leather upper" and then as "wind resistant PU coated synthetic textile upper".

If anyone is interested, Sorel said: "The Cumberland boot style number NL1436 is a synthetic textile not leather.
As far as other winter options go in regards to leather free, we have a couple of heavy duty options. The snowlion, the alpha pac, and the Glacier are made with synthetic material as well."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jackal wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
jackal wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions! Found some great Columbia ones, now I have options :)

I emailed Sorel about the Cumberland NL1436, since it looked synthetic but then they went and described it as "wind resistant PU coated leather upper" and then as "wind resistant PU coated synthetic textile upper".

If anyone is interested, Sorel said: "The Cumberland boot style number NL1436 is a synthetic textile not leather.
As far as other winter options go in regards to leather free, we have a couple of heavy duty options. The snowlion, the alpha pac, and the Glacier are made with synthetic material as well."

Those look awesome! I may have to get them. That 'leather upper' bit makes me nervous, so I'm glad Sorel responded to you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:41 am 
Tofu Pup

ndpittman wrote:
jackal wrote:

Those look awesome! I may have to get them. That 'leather upper' bit makes me nervous, so I'm glad Sorel responded to you.

I've figured out they have two Cumberland models, the other one is called Cumberland leather NL1579, and I suspect there was a c/p of the shoe blurb, since they seem identical except for the materials.

I'm going to go ahead and order the first one (I can always return) so I'll let you know! I feel pretty safe though :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm looking for a pair of boots that will keep me warm up to -40. I found these Bogs, and I hear they are comfy and warm and all that, but they aren't super stylish or anything and I'd kind of like something a little more attractive. But I don't know if attractive and -40 go together.

http://www.bogsfootwear.ca/shop/style/71121-001.html

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Bogs are great! I don't think they look bad at all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

WHOOP! WHOOP! UGLY SHOE ALERT!!

I just bought myself a pair of these
http://www.crocs.com/crocs-blitzen-conv ... d=men-fuzz
I called to double check (because i can't tell this stuff from pictures, and i remember last year the crocs site was full of real leather, what the fizzle) and it is all "synthetic leather" outside and synthetic fleece inside.
the price was a little spicy but if you sign up for the newsletter you automatically get 20% off first purchase. there are also free shipping coupon codes floating around the interwebs if your purchase is under $60.
the last thing was that when i asked so many questions the guy gave me his extension and told me if i had any doubts whatsoever call him back and he'll send me a postage-paid mailer to return them free (which is the complaint i've heard about buying from the crocs site, returns are pricey).
I've been needing to buy another pair [see the comfy vegan work shoes thread, i bought a pair of mercy work clogs], so the 20% helped.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I randomly really like those, Torque!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:49 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Cuz they're UGLY!!!!
Yeah, well, warm and ugly. They'll go with my ugly hat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:03 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just ordered a pair of Sorel Cumberlands. I will let you guys know how they are. They are probably a little overkill for the weather in my area, but I'm already tired of having cold feet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

I've had the Sorel Cumberlands for a couple years and really like them. I mean they're huge and bulky and ugly as sin, but they keep my feet dry when shoveling the driveway or trudging through snow, so that's all I really care about.

I just noticed they had a leather version, but yeah that appears to be in the name so it should be easy to avoid. The ones I have are definitely fabric (the first ones jackal linked to up there ^, and not leather-like at all).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

I got my Cumberland's, they're definitely not leather at all. And I don't think they're THAT ugly :p and they seem super comfy, but I haven't had the weather to test them out yet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

jackal wrote:
I got my Cumberland's, they're definitely not leather at all. And I don't think they're THAT ugly :p and they seem super comfy, but I haven't had the weather to test them out yet.

Ha, I logged in to say pretty much everything you said here. I was hoping mine would arrive yesterday so I could try them out with last night's sub-freezing temperatures, but instead they arrived just in time for the weather to warm back up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:33 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Heh. I just feel all STOMP STOMP STOMP when I'm walking around in them, because they're bulky. Not fashion boots, but yeah they're fine. :) I am definitely grateful for them doing their job when I need them!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

torque wrote:
Cuz they're UGLY!!!!
Yeah, well, warm and ugly. They'll go with my ugly hat.

i was expecting something magenta, but those are actually kinda cute. they'd be great for cold weather gardening.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

they just arrived yesterday and i wore them to a tree lighting/fireworks thing in the freezing cold last night, and my feet were the warmest part of my body (for once). i love them to pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

blondiefk wrote:
These are the Sorel ones that I have (mine are black) :

http://www.sorel.com/on/demandware.stor ... 2&start=12

I can't find the Hunter's I have-they might still make them -but I can't find them on a Site that's not the official Hunter one and that won't work on my phone. But this is their site.

http://usa.hunter-boot.com

I was looking at those Sorels, but the Sorel site says they run small, and I have wide calves. Do you think they would work for me, or should I keep looking?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:58 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My boots weren't quite cutting it, so I picked up a pair of these:
http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/71415-975.html

It was about -30 most of last week and they kept my feet nice and warm, plus I love that they're waterproof and they're pretty sturdy when walking on icy patches. The only downside is that one of the boots rubs slightly on the side of my ankle, but I'm really hoping it's just a new boot thing and they just need to be broken in. I wanted to get a pair of the Summit but they're out of stock until January.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

i just got these: http://www.shoebacca.com/jambu/nottingh ... not01.html and these:http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/71423-600.html#description

the nottinghams are really snuggly and warm! i really like them, though jambu says they are not waterproof (i walked in easy rain just fine with them. but in puddles and things, they probably will get wet!)

i haven't really had the need to wear the summit bogs yet, but looking forward to walking around in the rain with them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jessilikewhoa wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
These are the Sorel ones that I have (mine are black) :

http://www.sorel.com/on/demandware.stor ... 2&start=12

I can't find the Hunter's I have-they might still make them -but I can't find them on a Site that's not the official Hunter one and that won't work on my phone. But this is their site.

http://usa.hunter-boot.com

I was looking at those Sorels, but the Sorel site says they run small, and I have wide calves. Do you think they would work for me, or should I keep looking?

They fit me in the calves and mine are smaller so maybe you should keep looking.