| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoes with good arch support
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I wear terrible shoes! mostly just flats/fake tom's from payless. I've started having a lot of lower back pain and foot pain in the morning, which I think from googling might be plantar fascitis. I'm going to go to the doctor, but in the mean time I'd also like to find some shoes that are more supportive that I can wear to work and some sneakers for weekends/casual stuff.

Post subject: Re: Shoes with good arch support
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love Dansko Vedas. They were my dog walking shoe of choice. I can't paste for some reason so you'll have to Google. They're sneakers. Payless makes that comfort line and they have plain flats sometimes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003X1OG1C Vedas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:50 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i love my saucony sneaks. i don't know how well they'll hold up in the long term, but they're so comfy, and there are finally some good colors in the vegan line.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also, insoles can make flat shoes much better for your feet. I put them in ballet flats when I know I'll be walking a lot. The kind with a good arch support.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Find some Birkenstock clogs! If I wear anything else (other than bare feet) for more than 5 minutes, my back pain is so much worse. I will literally pay anything for shoes that don't make me hurt more, but can't find anything else. Of course, your mileage might vary, but they work well for so many people.

Vegan ones are near impossible to find these days, but you could try nonvegan ones on locally somewhere and they could maybe either special order them for you (if they are a Birk reseller) or elsewhere online.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:15 am 

thanks guys!
I have sauconys and i always forget about them because i just want to wear slip ons in the summer! they are starting to get that hole in the toe so I think it's time for a new pair. I will look into these other ideas for work shoes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Boots with really good running shoe insoles! Okabashi flip flops! Actually cute shoes from Crocs (no, really!)!

For sneakers I like New Balance. If I want more of a canvas slip on or Chuck Taylor feel I like Van's slip ons because they're more cushioned than the cheap ones, and I LOVE my canvas PF Flyer low tops, they're like Converse, but with fantastic arch support, magic!

I destroyed my feet wearing super cheap canvas slip ons and $2 flip flops and my arches basically fell and hurt a bunch and I probably have plantar fascitis too, and the shoes listed above, plus never being on my feet barefoot, even at home, for about 2 years, pretty much saved my feet.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:10 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

If you already have shoes you like, a good insert can do wonders. Go to a running shoe store and they'll watch you walk and show you the best one for your feet and your gait. It's important to choose the proper one, and doing so on your own is difficult. And there's no charge for them to do this, either.

For a shoe recommendation, I highly recommend Brooks. Most of their shoes are vegan. They're athletic shoes, so not sure if that look is appropriate for your needs. That being said, I've got a pure black pair that I can wear with black slacks and no one is the wiser. I started buying this brand because I do a lot of high impact training, and they're the best I've ever had. That being said, they're also great support for everyday use. I've only purchased the running styles, not the walking.

To help with your (possible) plantar fasciitis, have you tried rolling a tennis ball under your foot? I recommend this to many of my clients (I'm a massage therapist). Even if you don't have PF it feels great and really releases the adhesions in the fascia in your feet. Just put a regular tennis ball on the floor and roll the sole of your foot on it. You control the pressure, so it can be as deep as you like. You can do it sitting or standing. I have tennis balls in every room in my house now. I like really deep pressure so I use the smaller tennis balls, but it's usually best to start with a standard size.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

New balance or saucony sneakers, dansko or sanita for swanky clogs, crocs believe it or not. I wear a lot of aerosoles these days.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the nothing-special sauconys have been on sale at modells lately (mom paid 39 last week, i paid 35 a few weeks ago and had a coupon that knocked more off). my little family unit has bought 3 pairs of them in the last month or so. they are sooooo comfy and also actually great for running too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm 

Thanks guys! I am going to try the tennis ball thing for sure! I went to Modell's and none of the shoes I liked were on sale, but I am going to get some new Saucony's soon because the toe is about to bust in mine. I will also try getting professional fitting for insoles so I can wear my existing shoes!

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:30 pm 

i just ordered these. I think I can get away with wearing them when I wear pants to work. I work in a health care facility, so I think it's expected that people wear comfy shoes. If I could wear scrubs instead of "business casual" that would be awesome. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K9CE3M/ref ... 25410_item

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:54 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i know you got your shoes resolved, but in case anyone else is following this, i got a pair of these today
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-102359 ... olor=Black
i wore them all day, and the feel is very much like a dansko in terms of a slight heel, but a bit cushion-y-er. the arch support isn't insane like a dansko but it isn't flat either. i have been having some problems with the birks because the arch support is so severe, i send up rolling out on my feet and walking on the outside edges, so i really liked the way they felt. they are, i dunno, "well contained" considering they're crocs? i usually feel like crocs are like birks where your feet spread out so much, but these don't feel that way.
even thought they're crocs, they're cute and between the sale (19.99) and the coupon i had they were ridiculously cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

If you don't like the ones you ordered, I highly recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Womens-Pur ... pureflow+2

Though I'd go to a running shoe store to get them so they can see if you'd benefit from an added insole. The shoes come with an insole but they might not be appropriate for you personally. they're pretty generic. I know it's a PITA to go an actual store sometimes (for me, anyway. I hate shopping!) but it's worth it for this. I really like the wide toe box on these shoes. They're fitted through the midfoot for support, but the extra toe space is VERY freeing, kinda like wearing sandals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I really want a pair of PF Flyers now! Do they run true to size, jessilikewhoa?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

They seem to run wide, like my feet are wide and they're still a little loose. You can tighten the laces though and they fit well, plus I don't wear socks, so if you wear socks they'll fit better too.

I bought mine at Journeys so I could try them on, if they have Journeys near you.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

torque wrote:
i know you got your shoes resolved, but in case anyone else is following this, i got a pair of these today
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-102359 ... olor=Black
i wore them all day, and the feel is very much like a dansko in terms of a slight heel, but a bit cushion-y-er. the arch support isn't insane like a dansko but it isn't flat either. i have been having some problems with the birks because the arch support is so severe, i send up rolling out on my feet and walking on the outside edges, so i really liked the way they felt. they are, i dunno, "well contained" considering they're crocs? i usually feel like crocs are like birks where your feet spread out so much, but these don't feel that way.
even thought they're crocs, they're cute and between the sale (19.99) and the coupon i had they were ridiculously cheap.

ooh, I like those!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i haven't regretted them yet!! (much as I hate Kohl's, it was probably the best shopping trip I've ever had, deal-wise)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I bought a few pairs of Orthaheels, sneaker, house slippers and sandals, because I developed intense heel pain on my left foot. After wearing these for the past two months, my heel pain is completely gone. But you have to watch out for Orthaheels, most of their shoes contain leather but not all. And I bought their insoles for my dressy flats and boots.

I also have wide feet, so not all their shoes fit. I order through Zappos so I can return things.

Here are the models that fit my wide feet and have great sole and arch support:

http://vip.zappos.com/orthaheel-dr-weil ... st=fcl%3A0
http://vip.zappos.com/orthaheel-oh-acti ... st=fcl%3A0
http://www.orthaheelusa.com/women/sanda ... lides.html (not available at zappos anymore but these are slightly wider than their other sandals)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was just looking at Orthaheel the other day. It seemed that most of their shoes were vegan, but almost all of the Dr. Weil ones had leather in them. Of course, I only clicked on the ones I liked, so that might not be true if I keep looking.