| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: the vegan winter clothes thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

post your finds here- non-animal coats, hats, scarves, gloves, etc.

what I'm looking for are nice close-fitting (not baggy, loose, or bunchy) womens beanies...sorta classy. I always have trouble finding these non-wool.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post subject: Re: the vegan winter clothes thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

It's not a beanie, but here is my winter hat which I love and leave on inside all day sometimes: http://store.americanapparel.net/rsakwsc.html?cid=50 in Smoke.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been looking for nice faux leather gloves for a long time, but have yet to find anything satisfactory, so if anyone stumbles across something, please share!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i am desparately looking for sweaters! i prefer something fitted v. bag n' big.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:57 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

mel c wrote:
I've been looking for nice faux leather gloves for a long time, but have yet to find anything satisfactory, so if anyone stumbles across something, please share!

Me too! I've been looking forEVER.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm trying to find some new gloves. Last year as a gift someone gave me a pair of cream-colored gloves with leather patches on the palms. I know it didn't occur to them to think about the leather part, but I also never ever wear cream or white. So....looking for some black or dark knit-type gloves. All I'm seeing so far are super sparkly ultra poofy girly gloves!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kittee wrote:
i am desparately looking for sweaters! i prefer something fitted v. bag n' big.

xo
kittee

I'm always looking for sweaters too. In the past I've had good luck with H&M's acrylic sweaters but not their cotton ones...gotta swing by there soon.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

also Kohl's seems to have good acrylic sweaters, but I haven't made a trip out to the 'burbs lately. A mall visit is in order!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:51 am 
Chip Strong

Dunebug wrote:
mel c wrote:

Me too! I've been looking forEVER.

me three, I want sexy ones. You can find leather ones in a million styles and colors. This vexes me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:59 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I need sweaters too. I like nice ones that won't pill or get weird looking, but the ones I end up liking are usually wool, so no sweaters for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:22 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

paprikapapaya wrote:
I need sweaters too. I like nice ones that won't pill or get weird looking, but the ones I end up liking are usually wool, so no sweaters for me.

Look for viscose! I have a cardigan that I love (tag says o*i*s, but I bought it in Finland so who knows). It's fitted and not very thick but deceptively warm. It's made from 80% viscose and 20% polyamide and has held up really well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm looking for a really warm dress coat, everything I've come across has wool. I also really need some warm winter boots to wear to and from work, something that can withstand 20 minutes in -30(C) weather. I know there was a post about boots in the old forum but I can't remember what was mentioned.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:22 am 

Maggie Muggins wrote:
I'm looking for a really warm dress coat, everything I've come across has wool. I also really need some warm winter boots to wear to and from work, something that can withstand 20 minutes in -30(C) weather. I know there was a post about boots in the old forum but I can't remember what was mentioned.

I need these things as well. Does the combination really warm and dress coat actually exist? Also, I have wide shoulders. They hade some cute non-wool coats (not sure how warm they'd be) at H&M but they're way too narrow for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

fruitbat wrote:
Maggie Muggins wrote:

I need these things as well. Does the combination really warm and dress coat actually exist? Also, I have wide shoulders. They hade some cute non-wool coats (not sure how warm they'd be) at H&M but they're way too narrow for me.

dress coats are really hard to find non-wool. there is Vaute Couture but tehy're pretty much out of my budget at the moment even with a preorder discount:

http://www.vautecouture.com/c-2-coats.aspx

I was just at a couple of stores and all the nice coats, hats, gloves I saw were wool, blah. I did see some velvet gloves lined with Thinsulate that might work for people looking for dressy gloves. They were this brand:

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/De ... dn=1354800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:03 pm 

Acutally I just need a coat (and boots and gloves and maybe a new hat) I just thought it would be nice if it looked good, too. I cannot describe how far out of my budget Vaute Couture is. Also, I'm in Sweden. The temperature will drop to -20 (C) and it's already snowing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:04 pm 
Hip Goiter

I need a warm fall-winter dress-ish coat too! Not a real 'dress' coat, I have one of those for formal occasions, but something other than my big winter puffy coat that I can wear now to work and not stand out as the young'en.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Those Vaute Couture coats are gorgeous! Ahhh... But so expensive... :(
Hopefully I get $$ from my dad for Christmas, so I can at least try to justify spending money on a coat from there.
I still wear a coat that's 30% wool, because I bought it before I went vegan, and I've been too broke this whole time to get a vegan one. Plus, heavy vegan coats didn't really exist before, so it's pretty near impossible to find one at a thrift/second hand store - unless it's a trench coat.

Edited for spelling.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Fairly traded and mostly vegan coats.They are all kind of pricey, but cute and ethical.

http://btcelements.com/products/?action=set_page&page=1&cid=377.

Etsy stores.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/56647841/black-recycled-fleece-hooded-jacket-red?ref=sr_list_6&ga_search_query=coats+vegan&ga_search_type=&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56647841/black-recycled-fleece-hooded-jacket-red?ref=sr_list_6&ga_search_query=coats+vegan&ga_search_type=&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title

http://www.etsy.com/listing/59666332/hemp-holiday-coat?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_query=cotton+coats&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title

http://www.etsy.com/listing/45765223/trench-coat-shortie-in-pumpkin-orange?ref=sr_list_25&ga_search_query=cotton+coats&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

AutumnLeaves wrote:

that's a nice coat but not crazy about the orange color.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

this is gorgeous...I'm sorely tempted

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/pr ... e=cat70008

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

Quarantined wrote:
this is gorgeous...I'm sorely tempted

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/pr ... e=cat70008

That is a gorgeous coat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

What about boots? What are some warm, winter boot brands that don't look like crepe?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:54 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I need fitted sweaters, and a dress coat with a hood since my hair will no longer fit into a hat I'd be willing to wear.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:42 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yikes! I just realized I need a coat too. (you may have noticed my shoe post). Please recommend any vegan men's coats you see in your travels online.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:50 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

they're not super stylish but i get all my outdoor winter clothing at mountain equipment co-op and stay warm all winter: mec.ca

they have lots of synthetic fill options for jackets, and lots of ways to cover my head.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next